Chapala.com Webboard

Accident on the Topes

Alpha1

15 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Unless you can be more specific about the details you are are only speculating the Topes were the cause....could be someone on their cell phone not paying attention...or not

OR driving on the frickin wrong side to avoid the topes.   They should put up concrete meridians on that whole stretch and leave holes for the Ceilo Vista & Vista Alegre entrances

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chapalence said:

Personally, I love 'em. It slows the overloaded truck traffic down before they're out of control at the bottom of the hill.

The LIBRAMIENTO needed this to avoid more serious accidents at the intersection.

That people are busy tailgating, talking on their phones, or speeding is the cause of accidents, not the topes.

The libramiento was without topes for 33 years. The truck accidents in that area can be counted on one hand.  No one can show any study that says those numbers would change. As soon as they pass the topes they speed right up. All it will do is cause shocks, tie rod ends, and brakes to wear out sooner. Plus we have seen at least 3 accidents so far since they were installed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Better to have a 50 topes  then big trucks killing people , since they some  apply there breaks to late and want to to land in Walmart parking lot.

Not only apply they break late, poor maintenance on these trucks, They have to be slowed down. since i been here at lakeside there have been several people killed or badly injured at the intersection in front of Walmart.  possible New drivers to with big trucks experiencing coming down that hill and turning for the first time.

A lot of people are in a hurry to kill themselves and take risks that are unnecessary.

I used to be a paramedic in my 20'S lived in small town outside of st Louis called high ridge with highway 30 going by it. i thought it was a quiet town with not much happening.

but as a paramedic there where accidents almost everyday on the 40 mile stretch of the highway, that where glass and metal cleaned up withing a few hours.

i was shocked how many accidents and deaths happen and very few people know about it..

I know of at least 9 people  here that have been side swiped by motorcycles who did not slow down.

There are several i know who while not drive anymore as they are at the age where there attention span is slowed down.

what is a life worth. I am sure those topes saved lives.

Those topes may have saved your life  and you did not even know it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'll avoid the tope issue other than to say I've almost been rear-ended twice since they were installed.  On one occasion, I had to pull into Cielo Vista to avoid being hit.  Driving that stretch several times each week, I've noticed some fly over them while others crawl over them.  I am kind of in the middle on speed but the two times I almost got hit the individuals behind me assumed I and the others in front of me were flying over them.

Frustrated.  :(

Val

• Thanks 1

We went to Walmart several weeks ago and parked where we always do.  Coming out of Walmart we saw a huge truck coming down the hill and he was going really, I mean REALLY fast.  Our truck was parked directly in front of Walmart and directly in his path!  We ran to get in the truck and get it out of his way, although it was just in time or we would have been his road kill.  He had obviously lost his brakes and was blowing his horn to get out of his way.  He crashed right through the concrete barriers meant to slow him down and he missed hitting about 10 kids coming from school (all in uniforms) and also directly in his path.  When he came to a stop he was only about 5 feet from Walmart's brick wall.

I don't know if the topes will do anything to stop such happenings, but that area can be extremely dangerous.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JKL said:

We went to Walmart several weeks ago and parked where we always do.  Coming out of Walmart we saw a huge truck coming down the hill and he was going really, I mean REALLY fast.  Our truck was parked directly in front of Walmart and directly in his path!  We ran to get in the truck and get it out of his way, although it was just in time or we would have been his road kill.  He had obviously lost his brakes and was blowing his horn to get out of his way.  He crashed right through the concrete barriers meant to slow him down and he missed hitting about 10 kids coming from school (all in uniforms) and also directly in his path.  When he came to a stop he was only about 5 feet from Walmart's brick wall.

I don't know if the topes will do anything to stop such happenings, but that area can be extremely dangerous.

They will help. Personally I have no complaints about topes after being here several years. If I was a complainer by nature I would direct my complaints at complainers of topes. It seems do be a constant on this board.🤣😴

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If a truck has no brakes the topes are no help. When you need to drive over them 2 or 3 times a day you soon see they have little actual effect other than to damage vehicles.  Unfortunatly the government officials think they help and they can say "see we did something"   

Am I a complainer?  Maybe. Again more accidents since they were installed than in years before. Wow do they work!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JKL said:

I never heard about his, nor did anyone I know. I know a truck went through the barrier, but he wasn't coming down the libra, and he didn't get anywhere near the store itself.

3 minutes ago, gringal said:

In the U.S., they have "escape lanes" for trucks that have lost brakes.  These feature an uphill grade long enough to slow and stop such vehicles, along with the use of gears.  The topes can't do a thing to help this situation.

Mexico has "escape lanes" as well for trucks that have lost brakes. These topes only add to the risk of accidents. Some time ago they did the same thing near Soriana in Chapala and removed a number due to the frequency of rear end collisions. When the accidents accumulate in this particular location, then the corrections may be made.

A different approach to traffic calming.

figure-149.jpg

TRANSVERSE MARKINGS

DESCRIPTION

Transverse markings are a series of white transverse bars―either flat or raised―placed across the center of the lane and spaced progressively closer together to create the illusion that driver speed is increasing.(118)

DESIGN DETAILS

The design for transverse markings can vary from site to site. Meyer tested three different layouts of transverse markings.(119) One involved installing 20 bars of consistent width and spacing intended to warn drivers. The next layout had varied width and spacing to create the illusion of traveling faster. The third, for work zones, installed four sets of six bars.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/15030/009.cfm

4MYGYYGAUII6PH4GUSZKSFM5SY.jpg

Optical Illusion.

32 minutes ago, gringal said:

In the U.S., they have "escape lanes" for trucks that have lost brakes.  These feature an uphill grade long enough to slow and stop such vehicles, along with the use of gears.  The topes can't do a thing to help this situation.

So tell us where there is room for such a structure anywhere around here and especially on the grade leading down to Walmart. We shall see about the topes won't we and they ain't pie in the sky now are they.

Yes a while back a water truck plowed threw several cars and finally came to rest in the Wallmart parking lot. From memory one of the injured was the vet that has her practice behind the Pemex just before the centro laguna. She had a Honda Fit and the rear passenger part of the cab was gone.

Mexicans love their cars so in general they slow down to cross over a tope rather then risk damage. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

Some time ago they did the same thing near Soriana in Chapala and removed a number due to the frequency of rear end collisions. When the accidents accumulate in this particular location, then the corrections may be made.

Both before and after slowed the traffic  before it got to them ,except for drunks and $%&/()s on their cell phones.Mission accomplished.