Chapala.com Webboard

Count your change at Walmart before leaving the register area.

daisy2013

Was in Walmart and change due was 164 pesos.  She gave me 4  20pesos bills and the gave me the rest in change in my hand   I gave it back to her and asked her to count it.  She obviously did not want to  but I insisted..  she kept recounting it.and of course it kept coming up short. She had to get another 30 pesos out of the register.   Always count your change 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happened to me today. Gave  me a bunch of change and I counted it in front of her. Gave it back to her to count. 10 pesos short. She acted like I was a bother to her. No jefe around to report her to. 
new trick at Walmart is to give you a hand full of change only not enough so count your change before you leave the check out. 

It was because of my bad experiences at Wally Mart that I stopped getting my funds from an ATM machine were I would get one $100 peso note, two $200 peso notes and the rest, $500 peso notes

My solution was to open up a Bank Account at Actinver Bank. Now, when I need money, I stop by the bank and get about $2000 pesos at a time, you know, I get 5 twenty-peso notes, 6 fifty-peso notes, 6 one-hundred peso notes and 5 two-hundred peso notes.

Now when I pay I have almost always the correct amount of change and don't give the cashier an opportunity short change (cheat) me. And one other tip. I find that if I talk to them in street Spanish, they think I am street wise and I almost never get short changed

• Like 1

count your money anywhere...sometimes it goes in people´s pocket and sometimes it is an arror. What do you expect , when you see the level of education here?

A month ago a woman  with very little education  whose Spanish is her second language went to cash a 18 000 peso check from the Federal Government at Banamex in San Cristobal de las Casas. WHen she got home she recounted the money to distribute it to the workers and found out she was 10 000 pesos short... SHe called me in a panick and I told her to go back to the bank and speak to the manager and explained what happened. That Friday she went, the operation manager counted the money the teller had and told the woman to come back at the end of the month to double check but that there was no extra money.. two weeks later she went back to the bank to check on the money and  the manager told her that yes , they were over by 10 000 and gave her the money.. I told her to make sure to go back but knew deep down she was out the money.. Well miracles happen..

28 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

Where did that come from?  Is the bubbly going to your head this early?

She is correct. Many people (NOT ALL!) here have very little education. I message my housekeeper with Whatsapp and her written Spanish is atrocious... as are her mathematical skills. She's in her mid thirties.

My housekeeper in San Miguel only had grade four education. There are many hoops to jump through for an education here... money and proper ID being two of them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Even people who graduate from high school, depending on the high school are semi illiterate.. that is what I have found out working in Chiapas..Here it is a little better but not that much...What is amazing is that most people down there, who can write are using whatsapp. One of the woman I deal with  writes eveything phonetically and a sentence is one long word. I have to read her messages outloud to understand them.. 

5 hours ago, Ferret said:

She is correct. Many people (NOT ALL!) here have very little education. I message my housekeeper with Whatsapp and her written Spanish is atrocious.

I used to get irritated when Mexican tradespeople and workers wouldn't answer my texts. Yet they would always answer the phone when I called. I realized that many of them may be illiterate. And many who do answer spell everything much worse than I do in my imperfect Spanish.

1 hour ago, Yo1 said:

It's not poor math skills as the register tells them exactly how much cambio you should receive.

Yes, the cash register shows them how much change to give you, but when they can't count, that doesn't help. I've had the person behind the counter have to use a calculator to add 10 and 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2019 at 11:55 PM, daisy2013 said:

Was in Walmart and change due was 164 pesos.  She gave me 4  20pesos bills and the gave me the rest in change in my hand   I gave it back to her and asked her to count it.  She obviously did not want to  but I insisted..  she kept recounting it.and of course it kept coming up short. She had to get another 30 pesos out of the register.   Always count your change 

I guess mathematical illiteracy is common through out North America. I had a client who made a healthy, albeit illegal, living out of flim flamming cashiers across Canada because few of them could do even the most basic maths!😂

5 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, the cash register shows them how much change to give you...

I realized that theft is the motivation here when the past three "shorts", in reply to me leaving the change in my hand and declaring falta cambio, had the cashiers not bother to count what I had but simply reached back into the till to give me the shortage.

15 hours ago, Gerry said:

I guess mathematical illiteracy is common through out North America. I had a client who made a healthy, albeit illegal, living out of flim flamming cashiers across Canada because few of them could do even the most basic maths!😂

I used to work for an arts organization in Canada that hired bands and put on dances. A friend was selling the bar tickets one night and told people $1.50 each or 3 for $5. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who went for the 3 for $5.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, it is up to us to check our change closely. Some times when it is busy it is a pain. I don't like using my CC at Walmart as after using it there the other year I was suddenly buying things in Arizona. The same happened to one of my neighbours.  

10 hours ago, cedros said:

Yes, it is up to us to check our change closely. Some times when it is busy it is a pain. I don't like using my CC at Walmart as after using it there the other year I was suddenly buying things in Arizona. The same happened to one of my neighbours.  

When was that "other year?"  When we lived here 2008-2012 we never used cc's as they were still using imprinted carbonized cc receipts.  When we returned in 2017 we found that chip technology had finally arrived in Mexico.  With chip readers, your cc is well protected.  We never let our cc leave our sight no matter where we use it.  While we prefer to use cash at local restaurants, when we travel elsewhere in MX we use our cc's at restaurants and they bring the chip reader to the table.  With chips, it really is safe to use cc's anywhere in the world.  

21 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

When was that "other year?"  When we lived here 2008-2012 we never used cc's as they were still using imprinted carbonized cc receipts.  When we returned in 2017 we found that chip technology had finally arrived in Mexico.  With chip readers, your cc is well protected.  We never let our cc leave our sight no matter where we use it.  While we prefer to use cash at local restaurants, when we travel elsewhere in MX we use our cc's at restaurants and they bring the chip reader to the table.  With chips, it really is safe to use cc's anywhere in the world.  

2018. My CC had chip technology but it isn't perfect as there are ways around it.