Chapala.com Webboard

Get a hobby

Is a phrase that seems to be used in addressing certain members who pizz  some people off with threads or posts they make. But i strongly suspect that a few of us do indeed have real hobbies. Mine is creating and making folk art furniture and furnishings and restoring antiques. I made this cutting board for my son and his fiance for xmas.It was the applied back panel of a door from a house built in Chapala Centro in 1903.The gothic calligraphy which I carved into it. I made up for both, because after looking through many gothic lettering sites I found the N's too boring. So what hobby do some of you other members have?

cutting board front.jpg

cutting board back.jpg

• Like 1

Table Tennis...a hobby that maintains my body and my mind.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1622311224530688

In an article entitled, "Stupidity and the brain", Dr. Amen says, "Golf is good. Tennis is terrific. Table tennis is the best sport in the world!"

So if you're a child, adult, or senior, looking for something fun and extremely healthy for your body and brain, take up table tennis. -

The Olympics for the Rest of Us: How Ping-Pong Can Help Your Brain

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/the-olympics-for-the-rest-of-us-how-ping-pong-can-help-your-brain/

Here are other Olympic sports that can serve as brain boosters:

• Ping-pong, also known as table tennis
  • Badminton
  • Taekwondo
  • Fencing
  • Rowing
  • Canoeing

Fast-paced sessions of badminton, ping-pong, taekwondo and fencing all require concentration, hand-eye coordination and precision, but that's not why they can help keep the brain sharp. All also put participants on the move, providing valuable aerobic activity.

23 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Where can you play table tennis here in Ajijic area ?

A club in the Chapala area devoted to the game of Table Tennis. We meet every Monday / Wednesday / Friday at between the hours of 1:30 to 3:30. New members are welcome to join and play. A small monthly fee is required to pay for the facilities and tables.

Location Chula Vista Country Club, Calle Paseo del Golf 5, Fracc. Chula Vista, 45900 Chapala, Jal.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1622311224530688

Please check out the Facebook link above. 

• Like 2

Some inspiration....

U.S. ping pong legend hopes for 2020 Olympics...
Ping pong, or table tennis, has been around for generations and it remains popular today. Some of the best players in the world will compete for Olympic gold next year in Tokyo. Omar Villafranca caught up with one American athlete who waited nearly his whole life for a shot at Olympic glory.ing pong legend hopes for 2020 Olympics...

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/american-ping-pong-legend-hopes-to-add-2020-olympics-to-achievements/?fbclid=IwAR18aLqkkCJaf0MkBdmKh2eRejYY-ijiiYaXRQifq9RvMPXhVKYMlfI3AV8

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Believe that I have been misunderstood about what I was referring to as a hobby. What I meant was things you make with your hands. I would think that you would find isolation easier if you do something like this or even things like sorting fotos and making albums. I admin 2 antiques groups on FB and go through my old fotos from time to time to start topics. Here is something  I made a year ago.

finished.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/30/2020 at 8:37 AM, happyjillin said:

Believe that I have been misunderstood about what I was referring to as a hobby. What I meant was things you make with your hands.

Did you expect people to read your mind as to what you consider to be a hobby? If you had asked if anyone else made handicrafts, there would have been nothing to misunderstand.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary :

Definition of hobby

: a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Did you expect people to read your mind as to what you consider to be a hobby? If you had asked if anyone else made handicrafts, there would have been nothing to misunderstand.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary :

Definition of hobby

: a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation

Ease off on the snark Mudgirl. Have you never been misunderstood because you said something that was not as clear as you intended? Happyjillan was just trying to get a conversation going that would NOT be about all things covid-19. We should thank her for that.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, cookj5 said:

Ease off on the snark Mudgirl. Have you never been misunderstood because you said something that was not as clear as you intended? Happyjillan was just trying to get a conversation going that would NOT be about all things covid-19. We should thank her for that.

I am a him actually and thanks for your post because that's exactly what I'm trying to do with this thread.😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

No, riding is.  Isn't that a great picture though?  My riding buddy on that trip took it.  He was excellent with a camera.

Not in context with this thread as something one can create in their casa or alone if one is outside. You have now posted the same thing twice.

• Sad 1