Chapala.com Webboard

Christmas Dinner

rafterbr

I noticed there was a topic on the Manix Christmas dinner and thought I would comment on our experience at Scallion.  I'm doing a separate topic so as to not offend the topic police.  My wife was skeptical about going to Scallion because they did not offer the traditional turkey or ham.   We had not eaten at Scallion so decided to give it a try  The 3 offerings were pork tenderloin, chicken or salmon.  Our reservation was for 5 p.m. and when we arrived there were several people at the outside tables but almost no one inside.  I ordered the pork tenderloin and my wife the salmon.  The advertisement said soup and salad but we were told this was a mistake and we could only have one.  We opted for the salad and it was small and a better choice of lettuce could have been made.  Given the number of people present,  I thought the meals took an inordinate amount of time.  The waiters checked on us frequently so I was pleased with this.  My pork tenderloin was a tad tough but had a good flavor.  It came with sauteed small potatos with red cabbage on top.  There was also green beans and sliced carrots but the carrots were dry.  Overall I would rate my meal as good to very good.  My wife had the salmon with rice and asparagus and she rated her meal as very good.  The meal came with apple pie and ice cream. Surprisingly the apple pie was terrible.  My wife would not eat hers and I combined the ice cream with my pie or I could not have eaten mine.  The apples had cooked way to long before hey were put in the crust for baking.  I also believe the wrong apples were used.  As you know there are eatng apples and baking apples and I suspect eating apples were used.   I  still liked the meal and we may go back for New Years.  

Their ad said "soups and salads" and listed one of each, just like their main meal listing said three items. It would have been better as "choice of soup or salad". On the other hand, arugula (the salad choice) is something I just don't care for... usually too old and bitter.

You are much easier on restaurants than I would be. I'm looking at your notes:

- small salad; poor choice of lettuce; tough pork tenderloin; dry carrots; terrible apple pie (almost impossible to get decent apples here anyway); inordinate amount of time.

How many ticks in the "against" column do I need? Fewer than yours. These items are all key parts of a meal. I think you are being more than fair.

• Like 1