Chapala.com Webboard

Small gnat-like flying bugs in bathroom

InChapala1

3 hours ago, More Liana said:

You can call them fruit flies, but they're not fruit flies.  They're drain flies.  I've had them too, and used all of the remedies recommended on this thread to get rid of them.  Nothing worked for me until I started covering my shower and sink drains in the bathroom.  That did the trick.  They hatch in the drains, but they can't get out.  

Just remove the black gunk from the drain and clean with chlorine, gone never to return as long as it's clean. Works for me.

The Wikipedia link Oatsie provided (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drain_fly) states, "Protected by the extremely fine water-repellent hairs covering their bodies, adults and larvae are difficult to drown,[8] and are not affected by contact with most water-borne toxins such as bleach. Boiling water has little or no effect on the adults for the same reason, and even the eggs are highly resistant to both chemical or thermal assault."

It goes on the state, "Thorough mechanical cleaning of drains will remove the larval food source, and is the most effective control measure.[8] Alternatively, injected foams containing bacteria or enzymes may be useful to break down gelatinous scum deposits."

Will try mechanical cleaning as suggested by Alpha1 and Wikipedia. Chlorine is not an acid, but it does turn acidic when mixed with water, but unsure if its a strong acid.

11 hours ago, jguerin said:

When you removed the cover, then they come back, I guess.   It looks like impossible to get ride of them completely.

I keep the drains covered unless I am using either the bathroom sink or the shower.  If I left the drains uncovered, I'm certain that they'd come back.  I hate these little buggers with my entire heart.  

9 hours ago, More Liana said:

I keep the drains covered unless I am using either the bathroom sink or the shower.  If I left the drains uncovered, I'm certain that they'd come back.  I hate these little buggers with my entire heart.  

I just removed the black gunk from the drain and cleaned with chlorine, gone never returned again. Works for me.

2 hours ago, jguerin said:

More Liana, Yes, you are right, covered all the time.  Where do you live?   I don't know you but I know you, just following what you write, always nice and pleasant and positive. 

jguerin, I live in Morelia, Michoacán.  Twenty years ago, I lived in Ajijic. 

Thank you for the compliments!