Chapala.com Webboard

RV ten year permits

ea93105

I have read nothing that suggests that they are NOT still available. I would presume that any motorized vehicle that has sleeping quarters, kitchen, bathroom etc would qualify as a motorhome. I know of no max/min length requirement.

These permits are NOT needed in the whole of Baja nor in the state of Sonora for about 100 kilometers down into the state. The 10-year permit can be obtained online at the Banjercito website and mailed to one's home assuming that the application is made within 10 days of leaving..... or at the border. If there is a lien, the owner must have a signed notarized letter granting taking the RV into Mexico.

On 12/26/2019 at 8:29 PM, ea93105 said:

Thanks

Do you know if the owner can leave the vehicle here while they travel back nob temporarily, or do they have to take it with them ?

I don't know if you are legally allowed to, but they are very slack in enforcing it. A few years ago the government attempted a major crackdown on temporarily imported boats and yachts.I think it was Mazatlan. Many people were doing as you say, taking advantage of low, long term moorage and maintence costs. They showed up in force in buses, with armed gaurds and chains. They began asking for paperwork, many owners were away or didn't even know this was required. This caused a huge blowback from the boating community, which is very important for many coastal towns. There were threats of boycotts, etc. The government quietly backed down, removed all the chains, and were never heard from again.

On 12/26/2019 at 8:29 PM, ea93105 said:

Thanks

Do you know if the owner can leave the vehicle here while they travel back nob temporarily, or do they have to take it with them ?

It can remain in Mexico for the full ten years without any further requirements. Ten years is to encourage them to remain.

If you do bring one down for long term, keep in mind they will rot from the ground up. First the tires, then the typical wooden floors. Also lots of varmints and insects. It is best to pour a concrete foundation, jack the chassis up and resettle onto blocks (preferably not the hollow type) build a skirt around the whole base (preferably cement board like the install ceramic tiles on, sealed outlets for water, sewer, electricity. If it is allowed, or if you own the lot, build a palm palapa, sealed top and sides with fly screen. Fire up the BBQ, congratulations, you have now arrived in Hillbilly Heaven!  Yee Haw!

• Haha 1

The "rule" is that an expat residente permanente cannot own or drive a non-Mexican plated venicle in Mexico, unless it is owned and has a Tip in the name of an immediate family member with either a temporary residence visa or tourist permit.

RV I think that the question is might the "Rule" be different with regards to Motorhomes and Permanentes just as the "Rule" is different with regards to Motorhomes and length-of-stay in Mexico.

Unless and until we hear from someone with first-hand knowledge of this particular question I'm betting the answer is 'no'.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:49 AM, CHILLIN said:

If you do bring one down for long term, keep in mind they will rot from the ground up. First the tires, then the typical wooden floors. Also lots of varmints and insects. It is best to pour a concrete foundation, jack the chassis up and resettle onto blocks (preferably not the hollow type) build a skirt around the whole base (preferably cement board like the install ceramic tiles on, sealed outlets for water, sewer, electricity. If it is allowed, or if you own the lot, build a palm palapa, sealed top and sides with fly screen. Fire up the BBQ, congratulations, you have now arrived in Hillbilly Heaven!  Yee Haw!

Where can I get a mullet cut lakeside ?

• Haha 1