Chapala.com Webboard

Treatment of ADHD

Zeb

9 hours ago, happyjillin said:

That is so wrong. That's even worse than saying a General Practice Doctor is called that because they only look after generals.

Well I can be wrong.  That was just the experience I had when my spouse was ill.

9 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Well many of the doctors and psychiatrists here do tend to be old school and tend to be pill pushers.  So, a word of warning.  Pharmaceuticals don't always have your best interests in mind.  Its all about the $$.

Yes and I do agree with that.  The medical profession is mostly symptom management and not curing. 

12 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Well many of the doctors and psychiatrists here do tend to be old school and tend to be pill pushers.  So, a word of warning.  Pharmaceuticals don't always have your best interests in mind.  Its all about the $$.

You have seen "many" of these Psychiatrists then and are speaking from experience?

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, dichosalocura said:

I have never seen a psychiatrist or therapist in my life but I have family and friends who have.  And usually their preferred method is drug you out with big pharma to mask your symptoms instead of trying to cure you.

Then your family and friends need to find better therapists, ones who do not illegally prescribe drugs. The three times in my life I was prescribed antidepressants it was by my personal physicians at the time. Without the antidepressants I would not still be here. Also, one year was the longest I was ever on them. No one was trying to keep me on them. I do know people who must take them long term, not because their doctors are pill pushers but because their brain chemistry does not work right. Do you tell diabetics they don’t need insulin because it is just big pharma masking symptoms like diabetic coma?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

I have never seen a psychiatrist or therapist in my life but I have family and friends who have.  And usually their preferred method is drug you out with big pharma to mask your symptoms instead of trying to cure you.

That is for sure! 

21 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Here is a medical fact for you, not everything has a cure and for any quality of life to be had,symptom management is absolutely necessary when there is no cure.

Yes, of course.  That's common sense.

• Confused 1

On 12/23/2019 at 10:24 PM, Zeb said:

Well I can be wrong.  That was just the experience I had when my spouse was ill.

You are not all THAT wrong. Typically a psychiatrist does an assessment and determines the initially diagnosis and treatment. Psychologists who often are the ones who do the follow up therapy...can not order medications.  The two should be working together. But there are very few psychiatrists that get involved in therapy sessions.

• Sad 1

I never said that medicines or big Pharma was all bad and evil, it is a business like all others.  If you need an antibiotic by all means, go get one, if you feel depressed or manic and the medicine they give you stabilizes you, by all means, there is nothing wrong with taking it if you need to.  The only thing I was pointing out was that sometimes doctors hand out pills as if they were candy when then can sometimes be avoided.  In the US, kids that are unruly and show signs of ADHD, often times they drug them up with Ridlin or similar stuff, when if left untreated many times they will outgrow it.  When in pain, by all means get pain medication.  Mental illness is a science still in progress, you can not do a blood test to determine if she or he is bipolar or schizophrenic, it is the opinion of the doctor and he alone determines which drug and how much to take to stabilize the person.  Sometimes it works other times it does not or only works for 6 months and the drug cocktail must be changed.  Diabetes often times is caused by bad diet and often times can be corrected by diet.  But each individual is unique and must determine what works best for them.  There are many pharmacies here that will treat you for free or close to it (if you promise to buy your prescriptions from them), I went to Similiares once when I had bronquitis and the doctor prescribed me like 5 different medicines, an antibiotic, a nasal spray, a decongestant and god knows what else, and I was thinking all I what is an antibiotic.  Of course medicine is lifesaving and big pharma saves millions of lives, but it is also a business and money making.  Often times their are alternatives that work and sometimes not.  That is all I was trying to say.  When a young person begins to suffer from mental illness, I believe you should at least attempt alternatives first before getting them hooked on strong heavy pharmaceuticals that may or may not help him or her, long term, and will also possibly cause addiction and health problems down the line.  I have all ready been down that road with my sister and it did not turn out so great.  Always listen to what your doctor says, and then fully research it with an open heart yourself later, read everything and anything about the topic and go from their.  Doctors are not gods, and with the information of the internet we can now be better informed about newer forms of treatment that even your doctor may not be aware of.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

You are not all THAT wrong. Typically a psychiatrist does an assessment and determines the initially diagnosis and treatment. Psychologists who often are the ones who do the follow up therapy...can not order medications.  The two should be working together. But there are very few psychiatrists that get involved in therapy sessions.

Another wrong statement. Too much TV watching perhaps? Psychiatrists do in fact do extensive therapy with their patients and very seldom work together with Psychologists if ever.

18 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

Thank you for that.  What you wrote is exactly how I have typically seen things done. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2019 at 11:40 PM, dichosalocura said:

Diabetes often times is caused by bad diet and often times can be corrected by diet.

Please forgive me, I had to chime in as there is so much misconception around this subject and I can never pass up an opportunity to educate; There are two types: Type 1 is autoimmune whereas diet and exercise do not play a part in onset. People with T1 were often thin, athletic and young at time of diagnosis, like myself. My immune system went into hyperdrive as a result of an MMR booster shot, in other words, my immune system went after my own beta cells (insulin producers) and destroyed them all. I require insulin injections to convert foods into glucose/energy. Daily life is high-wire act when living with T1, but like all invisible diseases, no one can see it from the outside (aside from our Insulin Pumps and Continuous Glucose Monitors). Type 2, on the other hand, is a metabolic disorder which is nearly 100% curable by lifestyle changes in diet and physical activity. A person with Type 2 is still making insulin, however their body becomes increasingly unable to use it due to a lack of proper nutrition and efficient fuel-burning activities. To keep your car running well, use quality fuel, keep fluids fresh, and drive it regularly! T1 and T2 really should be renamed to reflect their vast differences, one is a disease and the other is a condition.

On 12/26/2019 at 8:26 AM, happyjillin said:

Another wrong statement. Too much TV watching perhaps? Psychiatrists do in fact do extensive therapy with their patients and very seldom work together with Psychologists if ever.

I will have to agree to disagree. Psychiatrists may do extensive therapy but not very often.  They do work with psychologists.