Chapala.com Webboard

San Miguel, Guanajuato, Zacatecas

ezpz

1 hour ago, More Liana said:

Slainte, when violence dramatically increased early this year in San Miguel de Allende, a regidor in SMA's city government publicly asked residents (a) not to talk about it and (b) to act as if cártel violence was not happening---so that tourism would not decrease.  In this particular instance, it's not an urban legend or myth.  This is just one of many news reports about it, in which the mayor of SMA finally recognizes this currently year-long terrible violence:  https://www.milenio.com/policia/san-miguel-allende-alcalde-reconoce-inseguridad-municipio  

I understand that More Liana, just as this board does not allow crime reports because of business reasons.  I´m addressing the idea that it is some sort of mandatory, official act.

The city government (in this case you mentioned, a regidor) can ask all day but that doesn´t mean that people will not talk about it, and when I say enforcement, I mean that no one is going to be charged  with anything for talking about it.  I did get a warning on this board for reporting a crime a long time ago, but that is the worst that has happened to me.:D

We all prefer that tourism remains a viable industry in Mexico, at least, most of us.

The Regidor Campos made the request on Facebook, which in of itself, is not very "oculto".  LOL

50 minutes ago, More Liana said:

Gringal, the violence in SMA and the entire state of Guanajuato has nothing to do with home invasions and street crime.  And San Miguel de Allende is not a Pueblo Mágico; that title was taken away from the city in 2008.

It was designated  UNESCO World Heritage City in 2008. 

" Question: How safe is it these days?  I'm not a Fraidy Cat but I'm not stupid either.  Have any of you actually seen or experienced negative situations in any of these places?  Gracias! "

That was the OP's question.  We drifted afar, as usual and normal.  My point some posts ago was that, even if you're not hearing about it officially, that does not mean a city is crime-free, and people should be alert in their travels. That's all, folks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slainte39 said:

And my point was gringal that some city official asking people not to talk about crime on Facebook is not official or hidden, otherwise I agree with you about being careful and alert.  Just like not being able to discuss it on this board does not mean it´s not happening here in the Chapala area either.

Since I have never had anything to do with Facebook,  I don't know what you are referring to.

10 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Read the link on More Liana´s post and you wont need to have anything to do with Facebook.

I did read it, and it was not what I was posting about.  When there is crime in an area, it's usually "common knowledge" among the residents, whether it's reported in the news or not.  (If you read Mexico News Daily, it seems to relish reporting  bad news.) The OP wanted to know if there were any "negatives" in the areas named. Some of us answered the question.  Some went down other paths.  IMO, enough already. Peace.

3 hours ago, gringal said:

I did read it, and it was not what I was posting about.  When there is crime in an area, it's usually "common knowledge" among the residents, whether it's reported in the news or not.  (If you read Mexico News Daily, it seems to relish reporting  bad news.) The OP wanted to know if there were any "negatives" in the areas named. Some of us answered the question.  Some went down other paths.  IMO, enough already. Peace.

Gringal, it may not have been "what I was posting about", but it is what's going on now in San Miguel de Allende, in Celaya, in the city of Guanajuato, and all over the state.  It's not about home invasion, other types of crime of that sort, or small-time retail drug sellers mixing it up on a corner.  The violence during the entire year of 2019 is about murder, including the murder of innocent bystanders.  It's about organized crime fighting for the right to control cities, towns, and the state.  And if you read my post about having been in SMA three times in the last six months, you will see exactly how this violence directly impacted me--in a psychological, not physical manner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful comments.  I read all this with a heavy heart and memories of the great times I had in Guanajuato and Zacatecas.  I could just stay home and relish the many fotos and videos I have.  I had a friend in SMA for a while but she moved away mostly for personal reasons to be closer to her (Mexican) family in the US so she didn't comment on recent violence.  Fearless as I usually am, this all requires a serious consideration of all possibilities and on all levels without sinking into paranoia. 

I've recently been traveling to Yucatan for pyramid tours, going on a 3rd one soon.  But I have been yearning to get back to these closer mountain spots with so much to offer.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2019 at 8:55 PM, ezpz said:

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful comments.  I read all this with a heavy heart and memories of the great times I had in Guanajuato and Zacatecas.  I could just stay home and relish the many fotos and videos I have.  I had a friend in SMA for a while but she moved away mostly for personal reasons to be closer to her (Mexican) family in the US so she didn't comment on recent violence.  Fearless as I usually am, this all requires a serious consideration of all possibilities and on all levels without sinking into paranoia. 

I've recently been traveling to Yucatan for pyramid tours, going on a 3rd one soon.  But I have been yearning to get back to these closer mountain spots with so much to offer.

You know, ezpz, sometimes we were in the just the right place at just the right time and have wonderful memories, but going back isn't always a great idea. Even if there's nothing to be fearful of, many times things have changed to the point that it's just depressing and no longer has the same allure it did once upon a time. Luckily, there are plenty of new places to explore in the world.

• Like 4