Chapala.com Webboard

Life in Colima

jguerin

The climate changes with altitude  and Colima is higher than the Ocean so it is not as warm but it may be more comfortable at the beach with some breeze. Comala is attractive.. THe cartes are all over the place but they are in Jalisco as well so do not do drugs and you will be just as safe as here. Speaking Spanish will help.. Yo can check the altitude, I thought it was around 500 meters so not high with plenty of heat and humidity,

34 minutes ago, Willie said:

We lived in Comala for 2yrs and loved it...pretty warm in the summer but less so than Colima city.  Quiet, small town.

Magic Pueblo...close to decent shopping, good healthcare and not too far from Guadalajara.  Very scenic..

What was your main reason for leaving?

PS "None of your business" is an acceptable response. Not trying to intrude.

• Like 1

Pappysmarket...we left because our tenants in our house in Mazatlan decided not to buy it but to build instead.   Had to move back to MZT but that was ok too 'cuz we love the city but not the humidity.  After it sold as decided on Lakeside instead of going back to Comala since we have friends here and had visited for a number of years.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Floradude said:

Did you read the warning about Colima from the State Department?

IMO if one takes the US State Department warnings as the gold standard of where to live in Mexico, one will never be able to settle down SOB. And if one doesn't want to live in Colima because of that, one must also not take up residence in Jalisco Lake Chapala and MANY other places either.

Life is full of possibilities and probabilities. It's possible one might get killed or kidnapped in Colima by nefarious persons.. but the probability of said happening (unless one is indulging in acts that would draw one into that realm) is damn slim.

NOTE: I offer absolutely zero data to back up these claims but.....

I am not a fan of the State Department's carte blanche issuance of those warnings and surely not the using of them as a life changing decision mechanism!  YMMV of course.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Have lived in Colima for about 7 years.    This time of year there are delightful morning temperatures unlike lakeside.   Hotter in summer but not nearly as hot as Las Vegas or Dallas or Tucson etc.  Runs about 10 degrees f higher than Ajijic.  As the elevation climbs cooler temperatures prevail so in summer if too hot take a little trip up to Suchitlan.

Humidity in lakeside usually too dry for me so prefer here.

Best appreciated if you can converse in Spanish at least somewhat.  You do not have the safety net lakeside provides.

i would suggest you make a few trips out this way and lineup a tour company, kind of fun to google all the attractions Colima has to offer.

As to the comments on Volcano I have not found this to be an issue.  In fact prevailing winds blow towards Guadalajara and not found here.

I could paint a pretty picture however don’t want to encourage the development of another Gringolandia!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Yeah it is such a successful idea.  Unless you were one of the millions killed by it.  LOL indeed.

Mexican Communists are not mass murderers, where did you get that idea?  In fact, as bmh says, they are  a very small total number, except for Chiapas. 

Forty years ago the so-called leader of the Mexican Marxist political contingent lived in Comala as did many of his adherents also.  No millions were killed by them, in fact, I think a few of them were killed by the Tecos from GDL.  In fact. the Communist Party was illegal in Mexico, when it wasn´t in the US.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Mexican Communists are not mass murderers, where did you get that idea?  In fact, as bmh says, they are  a very small total number, except for Chiapas. 

Forty years ago the so-called leader of the Mexican Marxist political contingent lived in Comala as did many of his adherents also.  No millions were killed by them, in fact, I think a few of them were killed by the Tecos from GDL.  In fact. the Communist Party was illegal in Mexico, when it wasn´t in the US.

I was referring to communism in general, having caused the death of upwards of 60 million by murder and starvation.  If you want to believe that Mexican communists are different than any others give the opportunity, that's your choice.  Totalitarians of any stripe share the common characteristic of forcing their will on others to the point of killing them.  For example, PRI backed paramilitary featured a number of massacres in Chiapas in the 1990s.  And then there's the Axis of WWII.  Really there's nothing about totalitarianism that should be all right with anyone.  

I think your question has been answered here.  These narcos are everywhere and the trick is to stay out of the way.  They are fighting among themselves all over including here and in GDL.  There's always the risk of becoming collateral damage but thus far they don't seem to be very interested in messing with expats.  Let's hope that continues.

I've often wondered what Ciudad Guzman would be like, having ridden through there on my moto a number of times.  Attractive town and seems to have a really nice climate and setting.  

Colima has the advantage of having good shopping right at hand without being too big plus it is a fast run to the beach from there.  Stayed in Comala and enjoyed it.  

•  

Colima has the advantage of having good shopping right at hand without being too big plus it is a fast run to the beach from there.  Stayed in Comala and enjoyed it.  

Mainecoons, this what I was asking for, not the narcos  they are all over the place.   I will visit Colima soon.