Chapala.com Webboard

average cost of health insurance

Sad to say, but $2,000 is NOT a high deductible.

I am older, but still close to your age bracket, do NOT take statins and do NOT have high blood pressure, or diabetes etc. My deductible is $5K and I am happy to pay the $$$ premium that goes with a private international policy.

• Like 1

Stop in to see Valerie in the office near Benno's in the Lake Taco and Car Wash complex. She sells Vumi. Don't mention meds to anyone as they will exclude coverage or not extend coverage to you at all.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Stop in to see Valerie in the office near Benno's in the Lake Taco and Car Wash complex. She sells Vumi. Don't mention meds to anyone as they will exclude coverage or not extend coverage to you at all.

If you lie to the insurance agent, are you willing to lie to doctors about the medications you are currently taking??  If so, you risk bad drug interactions and an invalid treatment plan. 

If you end up in a hospital in an emergency, my guess is you will not lie about your current medications.  Then you risk rejection of a claim because you lied to the insurance agent about your pre-existing conditions.  The insurance company will most certainly review your hospital medical records before paying a hospital claim.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

If you lie to the insurance agent, are you willing to lie to doctors about the medications you are currently taking??  If so, you risk bad drug interactions and an invalid treatment plan. 

If you end up in a hospital in an emergency, my guess is you will not lie about your current medications.  Then you risk rejection of a claim because you lied to the insurance agent about your pre-existing conditions.  The insurance company will most certainly review your hospital medical records before paying a hospital claim.  

I agree. Sounds like you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Not telling doctors what meds you take could well be the end of you.

• Like 1

II have insurrance with AXA but I got it when I was in my 50´sI have a 35 000 pesos deductible per event.  Once you reach the deductible  your drugs are covered  by the insurrance.. You need a factura for all expenses and there is a copay at the hospital and not everything is covevered..  If yo are older I doubt that you will be accepted.

I have friends who had insurrance snce they were younger as well and they ask to change the deductible last year and were kicked out  by their insurrance so make sure the policy cannot be cancelled.

As far as telling everything you are taking is obviously up to you. The doctor you see  with a private insurrance is part of their network but does not necessaraly report eveything. The least you tell the insurrance the better off you are but you have to remember that if you are caught lying they will kick you out and eveeerything you tell the insurrance will be used against you 

As you get older the premium go up and up and will be the equivalent of several hundred dollars a month payable in one lump sum a year.

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

That's asking for trouble when it comes time for a claim. First 2 years are the contestable period of the policy and folks may not disclose something on the app but when they suddenly need treatment they tell the truth to the doc and bang goes the claim. Refund of premium and cancellation of the policy. Many moons ago I was involved with many such incidents thanks to having worked for a large insurer, TIC.

• Like 1

I would still go to the Vumi rep and find out what your options are. They have, in the past, had multiple options which both include U.S. coverage and ones that do not. Guess which one has the higher premiums.

I also would make full disclosure. I did when inquiring and it came down to conditions that were MANAGED well... like you're taking BP meds but your BP is stable. I thought their options were very reasonably priced.

Ask about premium increases and if there is a cut off day for coverage or if it will be lifetime. They do not accept applications if you are 74 or older.

• Like 2

The poster asked what is cost of health care insurance.....why not include IMSS or SP?..why are we assuming only private health care??

It would seem that Health Insurance and coverage has only become a issue in Mexico these past 5/8 years..what has changed?.... ..us getting older or the advent of private insurance...instances of folks have Medical Financial Stress seems to be coming more prevalent here at Lakeside

• Like 1

Everybody has their own level of security. I still don't have health insurance after 23 years in Mexico. Still, I was curious about Vumi and was pleasantly surprised.

IMSS and Seguro Popular are not for everyone and neither is Private Insurance. Each to his/her own.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Everybody has their own level of security. I still don't have health insurance after 23 years in Mexico. Still, I was curious about Vumi and was pleasantly surprised.

IMSS and Seguro Popular are not for everyone and neither is Private Insurance. Each to his/her own.

Ditto, we don't have insurance either. After due diligence, and coming off Canadian  medicare  where there was no charge at source we have had no problems looking after ourselves even after some major outlays. Huge just recently in making our casa disabled friendly which probably wouldn't have been covered by any insurance, in any event.

You do not know if you will need major insurrance or not , until you need it.. A friend of mine who is Mexican and has AXA and is in his 40s went through a million dollars iin medical expenses over the last 8 years because of cancer. So it is all up to each person to take care of themself or not.