Chapala.com Webboard

iLox WiFi solution

No one knows when/if iLox will ever get moving again, and their communications to existing and potential customers is non-existent. However, for those who have iLox, and already know how lousy the WiFi component is, I have  a simple solution in the form of an inexpensive and reliable add-on router. Please PM or phone me for details.

• Thanks 1

RE:  Ilox service on West end of lake.  Stopped by the Ilox office two weeks ago, was told 6 months.

Finally subscribed to Telcel Wireless, works great, has a data cap, but 10 down, 5-10 up consistently is far better than .8 down/.3 up and unfilled

contractual obligations from Ilox.

While at the office I asked if I lived in Ajijic, core area, if I signed up today, would I get service within a week?  YES, without any hesitation.

5 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

iLox has said that they have received 400 modem units that should be in Ajijic by week's end. I am told that the certification process for electronic goods and labels is causing major grief for all kinds of importers, like CostCo.

Hoping the units they ordered have working wifi. Two guys working for them did install fiber on my street last week so there's that.

6 hours ago, SoxFan said:

Hoping the units they ordered have working wifi. Two guys working for them did install fiber on my street last week so there's that.

Oh, it'll work, all right. But if it's the same brand modems, 3 feet is not a long distance for WiFi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, RickS said:

Pete, how many times have you been to that office?

Too many times, but the Ilox office is next door to where I pick up my mail, and I keep on hoping that Ilox will find a solution for faster service.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fred Habacht said:

If I cancel....does anyone know how long I have to wait to get my deposit back? I paid in cash. 

A friend in Rancho Alegre went in to cancel and was told 3 to 4 weeks for the cheque.  She is a prepaid from March of 2018.

7 hours ago, Fred Habacht said:

If I cancel....does anyone know how long I have to wait to get my deposit back? I paid in cash. 

I paid in cash also. I was told I'd receive a check in 2-3 weeks. They said they'd call when it was ready.

Then they took my telephone number when I asked if they had it. 😂 Ah, yes.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I'm sure glad we decided to wait and see how Ilox was going to pan out.  I am amazed they don't understand the payoff for their investment here is to hook up as many as possible as fast as possible and do a much better job of service than TelMex.  Our sympathies.

Yeah. It's a crap shoot. When Ilox first made their offer, I had 3 mbps from Telmex. That's not enough for streaming internet content. Barely enough for online games. I got constant disconnects on weekends. Out of desperation tried Telecable also. That was a bust, because... Telecable.

So that summer after Ilox took contracts, Telmex suddenly offered some parts of SAT faster service. Some parts. People a few blocks apart are getting different speeds, that old 3 mbps. But I finally got lucky and got 10 and then 20 mbps. I'm sure these better speeds were forced by Ilox's entry into the market. Now, if I still had 3 mbps, I'd be keeping that Ilox contract and put a lot of energy into working with them.

So I'm dragging on Ilox a bit now, because I can afford to speedwise, but I am eternally grateful to Tom for working with them and bringing them into the area. It made a huge impact on the quality of my internet service.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sea said:

Yeah. It's a crap shoot. When Ilox first made their offer, I had 3 mbps from Telmex. That's not enough for streaming internet content. Barely enough for online games. I got constant disconnects on weekends. Out of desperation tried Telecable also. That was a bust, because... Telecable.

So that summer after Ilox took contracts, Telmex suddenly offered some parts of SAT faster service. Some parts. People a few blocks apart are getting different speeds, that old 3 mbps. But I finally got lucky and got 10 and then 20 mbps. I'm sure these better speeds were forced by Ilox's entry into the market. Now, if I still had 3 mbps, I'd be keeping that Ilox contract and put a lot of energy into working with them.

So I'm dragging on Ilox a bit now, because I can afford to speedwise, but I am eternally grateful to Tom for working with them and bringing them into the area. It made a huge impact on the quality of my internet service.

Absolutely agree.  We've seen significant improvement in TelMex since Ilox showed up.  Also many thanks to Tom and the others who brought Ilox in.  We may yet switch but I want to see fewer bugs and issues first.