Chapala.com Webboard

Re-porting phone from ILox back to Telmex?

I went to Telmex to do this but they said I have to go back home and enter 050 into my phone and I would get a callback with a code or pin # to bring back to them. However when i enter 050 this seems to be the number to do the reverse...switch from Telmex to ILox. Anyone know the correct 3 numbers for this since I have had problems with the ILox phone part of my service but very happy with the internet. Gracias

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had to give in today and requested a port back to Telmex. Just too many dropped calls and voices fading in and out to continue waiting for some level of reliability.

The 051 worked fine although the Telmex lady at first insisted I needed to get Internet with phone service. After several minutes on the computer and a couple of conversations she found that dial tone was available for about $180 pesos/month. You need to present a passport or IFE card to complete the port process.

• Like 1

Seems like the best solution, considering the amount of time and energy already lost waiting for them to get it together. On a side note, is it not about time for support personnel in all services around here to learn their jobs properly? To know the answers to questions? I can only imagine that turnover is so rapid that this is something we will never really experience.

I was just on the phone with a neighbor in Guayabitos for about 10 minutes and during that call I lost his voice completely for about 5 seconds 2 times. This is something one would understand on a cell to cell call but not between 2 land lines or more correctly an ILOX to Telmex call. 

My only problem with ILOX has been their unwillingness to admit that a problem being described could be real. They rely on the old standard, "everything looks good in the system".

I know from past programming days that a series of apparently random events can lead to an undesired outcome. The best developers acknowledged that the problem did indeed occur and painstakingly tried to figure out the how's and why's. Fixing a problem was always easier than figuring out how it happened.

Overall my experience with support has been very good, far better than Telmex. I have not had to deal with the public vs private IP addresses but they did spend time with me opening ports for use in BitTorrent clients.

• Like 1

Telmex came today with a New Year's surprise.

The story was that all new phone lines are now VOIP. No more hard land lines with power from the central station. They opened up a new modem and connected the one phone next to the modem to the green line 1 jack. No service to any of the other jacks in the house and who knows if the old fax machine will work again.

Hopefully the phone service is better than ILOX or next step is just to go cell only. Even if the connection is stable should the Internet go down, no telephone. Power outage? Only as long as the UPS holds out..

One might could connect the other lines in the house as we do NOB....  disconnect Telmex 'outside' service so no presence in the house; then connect the in-house line(s) to the modem. 

And, yes, no phones if no power/Internet service. 

On 12/31/2019 at 1:33 PM, ComputerGuy said:

That is just an insane business choice, on so many levels. I'm gonna wait and see what actually happens.

Yep, and the latest twist after inbound calls were made functional this morning,, every incoming call was identified as a private number. Believe it or not, the new business model calls for a $30 peso/month fee if you want Caller ID. Someone will call up the telephone account on a computer and tick the box that says to pass the call header. For that one 10 second maintenance effort you get to pay every month. 

When I asked why the change to VOIP the best I got from the girl in the office is that it was related to the new cable that is being installed around town. I assume that means the new fiber cable which of course doesn't have any copper and so cannot carry the low voltage required to power land lines. If all new phones are forced to VOIP it isn't a stretch to assume at some point they'll force all existing land lines to do the same. Maybe they're looking for a small VOIP device like Magic Jack or Vonage instead of dedicating a full service modem/router to the task for those who have land lines but no Internet.

Telmex must be using a special slow motion server for VOIP telephone. You can connect to the modem and get internet access but download speeds are 500k-800k down and 100k-180k up using fast.com and speedtest. Faster than dialup but not by much.

I am now on the way to get my phone reported back to Telmex. I dialed O51 on my landline and was told to hang up and I would get a call back. Almost immediately a automatic call came with my PIN #. Took this to the Telmex office and asked to report my phone back. After a few questions she asked for an ID. I produced my valid Mexican drivers license...but NO GOOD!!! They require a passport or visa card (had the same problem recently with my bank...what is wrong with the Mexican drivers license for an ID?). Returned a few days later with my Residente Permanente and after about half an hour of computer work and questions she finally gave me a work order. She said in 5 working days a technician would be calling to "reinstall" the line at the street and then inside my home. So It is not a simple process, but for, I think $185 pesos a month, I will have much better phone service, since as reported here ILox is lacking there, but I will still have the ILox amazing speed and reliable internet service. So ILox internet good...phone service bad. My advise is get the Internet service if possible but leave Telmex phone in place. 

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

I am now on the way to get my phone reported back to Telmex. I dialed O51 on my landline and was told to hang up and I would get a call back. Almost immediately a automatic call came with my PIN #. Took this to the Telmex office and asked to report my phone back. After a few questions she asked for an ID. I produced my valid Mexican drivers license...but NO GOOD!!! They require a passport or visa card (had the same problem recently with my bank...what is wrong with the Mexican drivers license for an ID?). Returned a few days later with my Residente Permanente and after about half an hour of computer work and questions she finally gave me a work order. She said in 5 working days a technician would be calling to "reinstall" the line at the street and then inside my home. So It is not a simple process, but for, I think $185 pesos a month, I will have much better phone service, since as reported here ILox is lacking there, but I will still have the ILox amazing speed and reliable internet service. So ILox internet good...phone service bad. My advise is get the Internet service if possible but leave Telmex phone in place. 

Mexican drivers licenses have never been accepted as ID. Too much corruption in the state offices. Only the federal voter ID (INE and before IFE) are legal ID's along with federaly issued visa and passports.