Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
Sign in to follow this  
ezpz

HOLIDAY PAY FOR CHRISTMAS

Recommended Posts

Yes, I already know about the aguinaldo and plan to pay it.  My question is - my maid works on Wednesdays which Xmas falls on this year.  She has stated she would like that day off, but we agreed to have her reschedule to another day.  Do I still have to pay for the day off?  Gracias!

Also, for those of you who are in the mood to donate to the poor, the best thing they could receive at this time of year would be warm clothes and blankets for all ages.  There is no tradition here of Santa coming down the chimney with lots of gifts for kids, although you may see Santas and Xmas trees used purely as decoration.  The kids here do not feel bad if they don't get presents on Christmas.  Their big day is 3 Kings Day on January 6 where they get trinkets, candies, peanuts, etc.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She gets her normal daily pay for Christmas, holiday pay since she is not working. The extra day she works she also gets normal daily pay.

Easy peasey

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sm1mex said:

When we have maid or gardener on holiday we give the day off and pay them for it. 

That´s the right thing to do, instead of switching around days.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An employee is never required to work on a holiday. Only if both parties agree is it done. The employer can "want, want, want" but if the employee says no, it's no. As far as giving them the day with their family...Christmas day is a day of sleep since in many cases they have celebrated Christmas the night before, usually around a warming fire in the street with their friends and neighbors. Leaving the party before the sun rises is bad form and thus the day is often spent in bed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Believe me there are many more Mexicans who have Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve and in their homes with family members of all ages and not out on the street.  Those people out on the street after midnight are a minority.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really? In a Catholic country, I would imagine that the birth of Christ is way more important than Three Kings Day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Believe me there are many more Mexicans who have Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve and in their homes with family members of all ages and not out on the street.  Those people out on the street after midnight are a minority.

Those that have nice houses where they can have lots of friends and family of course do not entertain in the calles. Many live in small to tiny houses where each person takes a plate and finds a chair or corner to stand in and eat. We were invited to many of those houses. We were also fortunate to be invited each Christmas eve to the street celebrations. Walking to and from them in Ajijic revealed a large number of them, almost every block had one. Just my experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newjersey expat the important day is the night of the 24th to the 25th not the 25th is to rest from the night .. and 3 Kings day is way less important..   Epiphany isd is less important. You share the crown and the one or ones who get the little figurines have to give a party with tamales  in Candlemas in february.  Less and less people give presents on that day .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ferret said:

Really? In a Catholic country, I would imagine that the birth of Christ is way more important than Three Kings Day.

Mexico is a secular country,

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, luvsdawgs said:

Mexico is a secular country,

Now that post brought a big smile to my face.  Do you believe what is supposed to be or in reality?

Just like everyone ignores the 12 de dic because it is a Catholic holiday and no one would dare name anyone Guadalupe.   LOLOL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Those that have nice houses where they can have lots of friends and family of course do not entertain in the calles. Many live in small to tiny houses where each person takes a plate and finds a chair or corner to stand in and eat. We were invited to many of those houses. We were also fortunate to be invited each Christmas eve to the street celebrations. Walking to and from them in Ajijic revealed a large number of them, almost every block had one. Just my experience.

 Pappy, there are 10 zillion high rise condos in GDL that make street parties impractical.  Yes, in small village neighborhoods this does happen but not where the millions live.  I probably know a 100 families in GDL and they are not out on the street on Christmas Eve. and they are just middle class working families.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, slainte39 said:

 Pappy, there are 10 zillion high rise condos in GDL that make street parties impractical.  Yes, in small village neighborhoods this does happen but not where the millions live.  I probably know a 100 families in GDL and they are not out on the street on Christmas Eve. and they are just middle class working families.

 

Yes, of course. But I thought we were talking about Christmas celebrations around Lake Chapala.  My bad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Now that post brought a big smile to my face.  Do you believe what is supposed to be or in reality?

Just like everyone ignores the 12 de dic because it is a Catholic holiday and no one would dare name anyone Guadalupe.   LOLOL

 

Its government is supposed to be secular.  That would be the same government that builds statues of Christ or virgins and puts up nativity scenes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bdlngton said:

Traditionally but not in today's Mexico.

Most of my 200+ family which includes las familias de los consuegros, do it Christmas Eve (Noche Buena).  El Dia de Los Reyes is for the roscas and to see who is lucky enough to get the "El Niño"......LOL

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

Most of my 200+ family which includes las familias de los consuegros, do it Christmas Eve (Noche Buena).  El Dia de Los Reyes is for the roscas and to see who is lucky enough to get the "El Niño"......LOL

We got "lucky" one year but at least we had a big enough place for the party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

We got "lucky" one year but at least we had a big enough place for the party.

 

Sounds like a framed setup………..

The rosca your piece came from probably had a dozen "El Niños" in it.     :D

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, slainte39 said:

 

Sounds like a framed setup………..

The rosca your piece came from probably had a dozen "El Niños" in it.     :D

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Of that there never was any doubt. We were happy to hold up our end. Our employees loved having a party at our place with both the BnB and our house being right next to each other. I would tell them they could invite whoever they wanted but insisted they give me a head count so we could have enough of everything. That's not how Mexicans do parties as we found out. "OK, Senor, 32 people". The evening of said party I counted more than 60 but everyone was happy, no problems and since we let them pick the band we hired they loved the music. Pinatas for the kids, 3 turkeys and plenty of refreshments and nobody complained there weren't enough tables and chairs. They just took turns sitting and eating. Glad I still have the pictures to remind me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this question was Holiday pay? My maids, Las Tres Amigas (mother, daughter and aunt) have been coming to my house for over 10 years, every other week and spend about 2.5 - 3 hours for which I pay them $500. This was a recent pay raise since they leave the house immaculate and my dogs love them. This year their Christmas bonus was $1000. My gardeners who are the husband and son come weekly and I pay them $500 weekly since this is a large property and also covers gas for the machines. They also take care of the dog do-do (3 dogs).They will be coming later today and will also get a $1000 bonus. Keep it in the family and keep them happy and you will get the most reliable, on time and best friendly service.  

In the past I have never gifted the garbage collection people. My property generates a huge amount of grass and tree trimmings which my gardeners pack in large plastic bags and put out on the street for collection. Sometimes there are 6 - 8 huge bags. One time recently I happened to be on the street when they were picking up and the truck driver called me over and started telling me in Spanish that they were not obligated to pick up garden debris. I pretended not to understand and said "no problema". They continued to pick up everything as normal after that but today they came by with bells ringing so just as "insurance" I ran out and handed them an envelope with $500 inside. They seemed very happy and hopefully this will take care of my excess garden trash for another year.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...