Chapala.com Webboard

Latest on emissions testing

Mainecoons

9 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

That says it all and should dissuade anyone from getting a BS sticker and you can bet it will be well into 2020 before the entire system has been put in place. Be happy that they are practising due diligence for an entire new system that they have purchased from a company in California. no need to obsess about this until then now is there?

True, the question is when will they require stickers of us outside of GDL and how that will work.  I recall people from here who drove into GDL getting stopped for stickers before they were theoretically required here.  Will that happen again?  That was the reason for concern among some here previously.  If one never drove into GDL it wasn't a problem but many of us do fairly regularly.

Also will the crooked transitos here use the lack of sticker as an excuse for mordida extraction?  What is not in this story is how this startup affects the outlying areas.

It would be nice if the Chapala government would seek clarification of these things for its constituents.

I'll just point out this is Mexico and there's a lot here that is "outside of the law."  It has happened here locally backed up by serious threats and it will happen again I expect.  Yes I even know Mexicans who have been coerced into paying up.  We are not the only targets.  It is naive to think this doesn't happen here and elsewhere in Mexico.  In fact I am told the problem is most severe in Mexico state and along the border.  Here it has been greatly reduced. 

But the question remains, if there are only a few places to get a car tested, all in GDL, what happens when we who are far from these places drive in for medical needs or just shopping?  Will we become targets of a police force there that has repeatedly been exposed for corruption and shakedowns of motorists?  This is a legitimate concern and as I noted, local government here should address it.

17 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I'll just point out this is Mexico and there's a lot here that is "outside of the law."  It has happened here locally backed up by serious threats and it will happen again I expect.  Yes I even know Mexicans who have been coerced into paying up.  We are not the only targets.  It is naive to think this doesn't happen here and elsewhere in Mexico.  In fact I am told the problem is most severe in Mexico state and along the border.  Here it has been greatly reduced. 

But the question remains, if there are only a few places to get a car tested, all in GDL, what happens when we who are far from these places drive in for medical needs or just shopping?  Will we become targets of a police force there that has repeatedly been exposed for corruption and shakedowns of motorists?  This is a legitimate concern and as I noted, local government here should address it.

Patience is a virtue-Ashton Moses. It's a whole new system and must be tested in just a few establishments for a time and if it's found to be totally functional it will be rolled out statewide to designated shops.That's the way of it everywhere in the world for sophisticated systems like this. It is probably being monitored by the California company's engineers. Be thankful that Jalisco appears to be doing it right as they should.

• Like 1