Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
Sign in to follow this  
mcintlm

Fix Outdoor Gas Heater

Recommended Posts

We have an outdoor propane gas heater bought from Costco several years ago. This year I can get the pilot to light but when I take my hand off of the control the pilot goes out. Can anyone recommend someone who could repair this heater? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mcintlm said:

We have an outdoor propane gas heater bought from Costco several years ago. This year I can get the pilot to light but when I take my hand off of the control the pilot goes out. Can anyone recommend someone who could repair this heater? 

Before you seek out a repairman, I would ask my gas guy to take a look at it. They can often make a minor adjustment that corrects the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some might ask why one would burn fossil fuel to heat the outdoors.  Even wood fireplaces and campfires are now becoming unpopular; in some places, prohibited.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

Some might ask why one would burn fossil fuel to heat the outdoors.  Even wood fireplaces and campfires are now becoming unpopular; in some places, prohibited.

I certainly hope you're not using fossil fuel to heat your home or cook your food. Some cultures use cow dung for both. Let us know how that goes when you stop using fossil fuel.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First thing to check is the thermocouple.  It should be in the flame.  If it is, maybe it needs replacing.  I would think any appliance guy who can fix a water heater can fix this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming you are referring to your hot water tank (boiler,) I had the same problem recently.  I had Miguel of ElectroDomestico in Riberas fix it.  He knew exactly what the problem was when I described it and brought the part.  He has done other work on my boiler, coeaned my aljibe, relaired my pump, repaired various appliances, pumped out the septic tank, among other things.  He is very honest too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FlyFree said:

I certainly hope you're not using fossil fuel to heat your home or cook your food. Some cultures use cow dung for both. Let us know how that goes when you stop using fossil fuel.

Indoor heat and cooking are fairly necessary things for human comfort and survival. Heating the outdoors isn't.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I had the same problem. I put a C-clamp on the control. Worked for me. I love fossil fuels! My life is a lot more comfortable and enjoyable. IMG_2037.thumb.jpeg.d60b36f7ae4443bbda08895595a41f15.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Indoor heat and cooking are fairly necessary things for human comfort and survival. Heating the outdoors isn't.

Who defines what is "necessary" for whom?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, vetteforron said:

 I had the same problem. I put a C-clamp on the control. Worked for me. I love fossil fuels! My life is a lot more comfortable and enjoyable. IMG_2037.thumb.jpeg.d60b36f7ae4443bbda08895595a41f15.jpeg

Your dog seems to like it too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FlyFree said:

Who defines what is "necessary" for whom?

Well, if you don't eat, you eventually die. You could survive on a raw food diet, but most humans the world over, cook. So the vast majority of humans would consider a way to cook to be necessary.

If you don't have a nice heat source to sit around outside, when you already have a comfortable home, you won't die. What is hard to understand about that?

Necessary means something needed, which is different than something wanted.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 8:07 AM, mcintlm said:

We have an outdoor propane gas heater bought from Costco several years ago. This year I can get the pilot to light but when I take my hand off of the control the pilot goes out. Can anyone recommend someone who could repair this heater? 

Could be that spiders and stuff stuck in the small pilot tube, take a thin wire and try poking and clearing the "blocked" pipe

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...