Chapala.com Webboard

Fix Outdoor Gas Heater

mcintlm

We have an outdoor propane gas heater bought from Costco several years ago. This year I can get the pilot to light but when I take my hand off of the control the pilot goes out. Can anyone recommend someone who could repair this heater? 

2 hours ago, mcintlm said:

We have an outdoor propane gas heater bought from Costco several years ago. This year I can get the pilot to light but when I take my hand off of the control the pilot goes out. Can anyone recommend someone who could repair this heater? 

Before you seek out a repairman, I would ask my gas guy to take a look at it. They can often make a minor adjustment that corrects the problem.

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

Some might ask why one would burn fossil fuel to heat the outdoors.  Even wood fireplaces and campfires are now becoming unpopular; in some places, prohibited.

I certainly hope you're not using fossil fuel to heat your home or cook your food. Some cultures use cow dung for both. Let us know how that goes when you stop using fossil fuel.

• Like 3

Assuming you are referring to your hot water tank (boiler,) I had the same problem recently.  I had Miguel of ElectroDomestico in Riberas fix it.  He knew exactly what the problem was when I described it and brought the part.  He has done other work on my boiler, coeaned my aljibe, relaired my pump, repaired various appliances, pumped out the septic tank, among other things.  He is very honest too.

12 hours ago, FlyFree said:

I certainly hope you're not using fossil fuel to heat your home or cook your food. Some cultures use cow dung for both. Let us know how that goes when you stop using fossil fuel.

Indoor heat and cooking are fairly necessary things for human comfort and survival. Heating the outdoors isn't.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, FlyFree said:

Who defines what is "necessary" for whom?

Well, if you don't eat, you eventually die. You could survive on a raw food diet, but most humans the world over, cook. So the vast majority of humans would consider a way to cook to be necessary.

If you don't have a nice heat source to sit around outside, when you already have a comfortable home, you won't die. What is hard to understand about that?

Necessary means something needed, which is different than something wanted.

• Sad 1

On 12/15/2019 at 8:07 AM, mcintlm said:

Could be that spiders and stuff stuck in the small pilot tube, take a thin wire and try poking and clearing the "blocked" pipe

• Like 1