Chapala.com Webboard

The good and bad aspects of Lakeside living

I am so sorry for my comment that sent this thread off on such a tangent.  It was not my intent.  The area has many things to offer and for seven or so years it was really good for us.  Thing is, one morning over coffee and looking out over Ajijic and the lovely lake I came to the conclusion that we had done all the town had to offer too many times and I was restless and it was time to move on.  Unrealistic as it sounds I have alway felt the the place I live now is not the last place I ever want to live.  One day it will be, I know that (MC we also considered Las Cruces at one time).

I worried about telling the husband my feelings, I knew he would not agree.  I was correct, he did not! But still we left Ajijic behind and moved back to Texas.  It was the correct thing to do as my mom is 95 and we needed to be closer plus there has had several heart events that he might not have survived had we stayed.  I don’t want to be without him.

I stay on this board because he likes to hear the goings on in the lake area, so do I.  We have friends still there.  The towns and Mexican nationals are charming.  Even the poorest among them are proud and rich with dignity.  A true pleasure to have lived among.  Smiles are beautiful things.

I wish all of you the best and am happy you have found the right place to be.  I will always look back at our time in Mexico fondly.  We had some good times.  

Texas is not permanent, we are already looking for the next adventure.  Maybe Destin FL or Salisbury MD.  Not sure yet, time will tell.

Again, live your climate and all the open doors. Best wishes to you all and mostly ENJOY LIFE!

• Like 11

21 hours ago, El Menudo said:

SNIP................... 

Texas is not permanent, we are already looking for the next adventure.  Maybe Destin FL or Salisbury MD.  Not sure yet, time will tell.

Again, live your climate and all the open doors. Best wishes to you all and mostly ENJOY LIFE!

IMO Destin Florida was a mecca back in the 50s-60s. Not so much now unless one likes to be with a million others all driving their cars on highway 98 from Pensacola to down past Panama City Beach.  Some of that ole 20th Century charm can still be found in small Apalachicola. The BEST oysters on the coast and nice white-sand barrier reefs right there. It is a slow hour and a half up to Tallahassee if/when one needs the kind of stuff (Costco, Home Depot etc) only big population centers can provide.

All of this will come with, of course..... HEAT & HUMIDITY much of the year as well as the less than occasional Hurricane.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HarryB said:

I have a friend who lives in florida at one of its' senior communities and loves it. For me, that would be torture. I need the exposure to mexicans, their smiles, their love, their fortitude.... 

I agree with you, Harry (about the senior communities and the Mexicans). The Mexicans are so easy to deal with IMO. A little respect for them goes a very long way. Something a good number of " visa holders" from NOB fail to consider. They are extremely resourceful, very good at making a lot with oftimes having very little. I've had a few things made for me and was really impressed by the impeccable  quality of the workmanship more than once.

Likes: Weather, friendly people (both expat and Mexican), beautiful lake and mountains, gradually improving infrastructure, access to many wonderful colonial towns within 2-5 hours drive in any direction, still reasonable cost of living.

Dislikes: Ever-increasing traffic, parking problems, getting anything done without excessive complications, too many rumors/too little accurate up-to-date info, costs of rentals and house purchases pricing out many people (both expat and Mexican).   

• Like 4