Chapala.com Webboard

need help canadian retired how to collect my pension and live in MX

renat

Hello I am looking for Canadian retired persons that live in Mexico more than 6 months and collecting all pension from Canada, I need help to deal with that as I applied for old age pension last year and I am starting to have some question from Canada office old pension plan about my traveling in Mexico and owning house and like that, can anybody contact me to get some answers about what to do? Thanks very much for your help.

Our Canadian pensions get deposited to our Scotiabank account in Alberta and we have also opened in a Mexican bank, Intercam in Ajijic where from time to time we write a Scotia cheque to top that account up. There is a Scotia ATM beside Walmart.Been here many years and prefer Intercam to that ATM. Our Scotia contact address is here in Chapala.

Many Canadians (including me) live here full time and collect CPP and OAS.  The only thing you won't qualify for is GIS payments (if you qualify).  You can own a house in Mexico.  It is none of the Canadian Gov't's business what you do in Mexico.  What is it you want to know?? 

8 minutes ago, Alfa said:

There should be no reason why you can't have your govt pension cheques deposited directly into your Mexican bank.

Cdn Gov't doesn't deposit cheques, they do a direct deposit into your account. If you had a cheque mailed to you here from Canada it could take a minimum of six weeks to receive it (if you are lucky to ever get it).  Much easier to have gov't direct deposit to a cdn bank then use your debit card to draw funds down here.

• Like 2