Chapala.com Webboard

I was all for-

4 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Guess again. There are only 2 pipes going down. The orange is sewer and the white is water which replaces the 50+ year old  clay pipes which were constanlty breaking all over the place. You apparently are missing the point of all new above ground poles being  replaced recently for carrying all sorts of wiring including fiber optics. Where do some of you come up with these weird and wild ideas?

I wasn't aware that sewer ever used corrugated pipes.  I thought that type of pipe was reserved for electrical or fiber optic.  And the orange pipe is way too small to carry sewer.

Voltaire was a NIMBY?  Well he was known for being ahead of his time.  :D 

You can debate gentrification but you can't debate there is only one road to Chapala centro unless you take the long way around via the libramiento.

I think there should be no parking at all on that stretch between the mural and the traffic light.  That really is the only way to get more space through there.  I also think the same thing should be done in Ajijic centro.  That, together with fixing and timing the lights is the only way to alleviate the Ajijic bottleneck.  Unfortunately, the time is long past when a libramiento could have been built to handle this problem.

This isn't a unique problem by a long shot and it is not all all unusual to deal with it by removing the parking to the side streets.  

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Gentrification is inevitable. It requires people to get out of their vehicles, and shop by foot, or by bicycle. Exploring funky shops, bars, street musicians, and interesting restaurants, by day and by night. A lot of successful projects all over the world have revitalized whole neighborhoods. If your health is so critical that a hospital is necessary within five minutes away, I suggest you move to a place that is more suitable to your needs. The big question I have is if the bicycle path will allow electric bikes and small mobility scooters. If they do, that will be a big boost for viability, especially for many seniors. I think that once construction is finished, something will be worked out. Maybe there is room for a center lane marked for emergency vehicles only. If no room, start no parking on the other side of the street, with a generous pedestrian friendly space.

Your idea is certainly alive and well in the US where auto travel is actively discouraged.  But this is Mexico and it's barely out of the donkey cart stage.  Especially in these little villages.  Guadalajara might be more amenable to this idea but not here where the streets are too narrow for accommodate cars and trucks, bicycles and people on sidewalks.  BTW--did you ever notice how many people walk in Mexico--waaay more than a same side town in the US, where everyone drives.

Another small city in Jalisco with the same traffic problem is Puerto Vallarta. There are probably many others with space limited by mountains and water. In PV they have a major coast highway running right through town, they planned, and budgetted a second tunnel over 40 years ago, but it did not get built until a few years ago, 1 year later it was shut down for urgent repairs. The gentrification of Puerto Vallarta, especially in romantic zone has been extensive and successful. The city realized that their major industry was tourism and real estate. This is the same in Chapala - there are no viable major industries here. Not much you can do with cool, shallow water, rocks, dreams, and mud. Even a hydroelectric dam was a failure because of intermittent lake levels. That was about 80 years ago. I personally think that Chapala is missing a major opportunity by not building out on to the Lake. A breakwater may be necessary, but that is comparitively cheap. A floating village comparable to which the ancients built in CDMX.

The dinosaurs died but humans chose to fuel up with their blood and remains. Maybe a second end of dinosaurs is approaching.

• Sad 2

Building a roadway out in the lake is probably the most practical solution for the traffic congestion in Lakeside.  The lake is shallow enough that building a road (bridge-style with concrete piers) could work very well.  It could carry traffic all the way from Chapala to Jocotopec.  Like a highway, it should only have enter and exit ramps in about five or six places (Chapala, San Antonio, Ajijic Centro, San Juan Cosala, and Joco, for example).

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Another small city in Jalisco with the same traffic problem is Puerto Vallarta. There are probably many others with space limited by mountains and water. In PV they have a major coast highway running right through town, they planned, and budgetted a second tunnel over 40 years ago, but it did not get built until a few years ago, 1 year later it was shut down for urgent repairs. The gentrification of Puerto Vallarta, especially in romantic zone has been extensive and successful. The city realized that their major industry was tourism and real estate. This is the same in Chapala - there are no viable major industries here. Not much you can do with cool, shallow water, rocks, dreams, and mud. Even a hydroelectric dam was a failure because of intermittent lake levels. That was about 80 years ago. I personally think that Chapala is missing a major opportunity by not building out on to the Lake. A breakwater may be necessary, but that is comparitively cheap. A floating village comparable to which the ancients built in CDMX.

The dinosaurs died but humans chose to fuel up with their blood and remains. Maybe a second end of dinosaurs is approaching.

Once more you deflect Gary Chillin and have not answered my question. Puerto Villarta .pop. 472,000 coastal beach tourist town receiving 1.7 million+[2017] tourists primarily foreigners you are comparing to Chapala pop. 13000 and main source of tourists by far outstripping foreigners are weekend Tapatios And we are not discussing malecon infrastructure but are discussing  unobstructed vehicle, including first responders. ingress and egress to the centre of chapala on a MAIN THOROUGHFARE and the negative effects of a bike path obstruction. PV has a  malecon and so does Chapala that is pedestrian friendly and Madero and soon Hidalgo with have pedestrian friendly sidewalks. As to parking,it is necessary for some of us DISABLED, which you have somehow forgotten about, to get as close as possible to any business ,etc. that we need to go to. And now you have also given yourself a segue into another of your fantasies,floating island on the lake. PV  does not lack vehicle access to it's main business district,in any event. I  suggest that you learn what gentrification actual means before you bandy that term about, which quite frankly, does not apply to either place and even less so to Chapala.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, suegarn said:

Building a roadway out in the lake is probably the most practical solution for the traffic congestion in Lakeside.  The lake is shallow enough that building a road (bridge-style with concrete piers) could work very well.  It could carry traffic all the way from Chapala to Jocotopec.  Like a highway, it should only have enter and exit ramps in about five or six places (Chapala, San Antonio, Ajijic Centro, San Juan Cosala, and Joco, for example).

And who is going to pay for such a huge and costly project? Let me give you a little perspective from my experience as a politician in a town of 1900 in Alberta Canada. We needed to improve by totally rebuilding 200 yards of road leading to the Lions Club campground in the 90's. Cost $250,000.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Once more you deflect Gary Chillin and have not answered my question. Puerto Villarta .pop. 472,000 coastal beach tourist town receiving 1.7 million+[2017] tourists primarily foreigners you are comparing to Chapala pop. 13000 and main source of tourists by far outstripping foreigners are weekend Tapatios And we are not discussing malecon infrastructure but are discussing  unobstructed vehicle, including first responders. ingress and egress to the centre of chapala on a MAIN THOROUGHFARE and the negative effects of a bike path obstruction. PV has a  malecon and so does Chapala that is pedestrian friendly and Madero and soon Hidalgo with have pedestrian friendly sidewalks. As to parking,it is necessary for some of us DISABLED, which you have somehow forgotten about, to get as close as possible to any business ,etc. that we need to go to. And now you have also given yourself a segue into another of your fantasies,floating island on the lake. PV  does not lack vehicle access to it's main business district,in any event. I  suggest that you learn what gentrification actual means before you bandy that term about, which quite frankly, does not apply to either place and even less so to Chapala.

There should definitely  be dedicated parking for the disabled on the side where parking is allowed, but that's a whole different subject which has been brought up before which is the gross abuse of these parking spots being used by people that don't actually need those spots, even if they have a sticker or plaque of some kind. Add a safe pedestrian crossing other than at the main intersection is also needed ( with imbedded flashing lights ) There's always going to be some amount of mobility required to get from the disabled parking spot to the businesses

But allowing indefinite parking is a recipe for abuse. I've seen disabled cars (with wheels off)  parked along that section of Hidalgo. 

1 hour ago, ea93105 said:

There should definitely  be dedicated parking for the disabled on the side where parking is allowed, but that's a whole different subject which has been brought up before which is the gross abuse of these parking spots being used by people that don't actually need those spots, even if they have a sticker or plaque of some kind. Add a safe pedestrian crossing other than at the main intersection is also needed ( with imbedded flashing lights ) There's always going to be some amount of mobility required to get from the disabled parking spot to the businesses

But allowing indefinite parking is a recipe for abuse. I've seen disabled cars (with wheels off)  parked along that section of Hidalgo. 

The disabled and abandoned cars have all been towed away.

3 hours ago, suegarn said:

Dream on. Jalisco can't even repave a highway with something that lasts more than a year without major repairs. Ant the influential landowners along the shore would never allow it to happen even if someone donated 10 billion pesos to do it.

4 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Dream on. Jalisco can't even repave a highway with something that lasts more than a year without major repairs. Ant the influential landowners along the shore would never allow it to happen even if someone donated 10 billion pesos to do it.

It would cost way more than that to do it. probably 1 billion just for planning fees to all sorts of professionals.

Ffor EA93105 have you noticed the curb they are installing between the bike lane and the traffic lane? There is no way anyone will be able to park on the North side of the street. With the minimal byke/pedestrian traffic, I do not see the need for separate lanes as it looks like in chapala.

1 hour ago, Alfa said:

Ffor EA93105 have you noticed the curb they are installing between the bike lane and the traffic lane? There is no way anyone will be able to park on the North side of the street. With the minimal byke/pedestrian traffic, I do not see the need for separate lanes as it looks like in chapala.

Well it should stop them from turning it into a parking lot like they have in Ajijic.

That stretch of road is very pedestrian and bike unfriendly.  Not surprised you don't see much particularly when there is the option of going down to the Malecon out by the mural.

I love that mural hope it gets restored soon.  

5 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I love that mural hope it gets restored soon.  

That would require artists skilled at working off scaffolds with fall rigs. A rare skill these days. They should have done it in real fresco, like a deep tattoo, then protected it with potassium silicate.

3 hours ago, Alfa said:

Yes, saw that yesterday. In retrospect I think just having some of those yellow buttons separating the bike path from the road would be a good compromise, then cars could pull over into the bike lane for emergencies. Eliminating the parking on one side will make a big difference I think