Chapala.com Webboard

I was all for-

- the infrastructure changes of the 50 year old+ sewer and water pipes and road and sidewalk resurfacing on Hidalgo but not the ridiculous bike path for the 2 following reasons. The lesser reason but very important: no parking on the north side affecting many business some of which will probably go bankrupt and home owners without off street parking. The really BIGGY and downright dangerous to the point where some may loose their lives,  property,etc.. There is NO ROOM for traffic to get out of the way of AMBULANCES,BOMBEROS and POLICIA.. There is major construction right now and because of that I have now seen 2 ambulances trying to get by and nobody has been able to move over for them.

• Like 3

Agree, I don't see why the bike path couldn't have been diverted to the Malecon out by the mural.  There is a very good reason to have the bike path, a lot of the locals use it to get around and get to work.  However your point about police and ambulances being gridlocked is accurate IMO.

This is a classic example of how this failure to consult the public before building these things leads to major problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If there were a large parking garage in Chapala with free electric shuttles there wouldn't be a need for parking on both sides of Hidalgo. How many of the cars parked on Hidalgo belong to people that work nearby and not are customers, most I think. They should have kept the payed parking system imo, with the first 30 minutes free

There is a large space for a parking structure right next to parke Cristiania

Biking on the Malecon is not easy and requires zigzagging around pedestrians. There has to be safe route for bikes on Hidalgo. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

There is a paid parking lot on that block of Hidalgo.  There is another empty lot that could be made into a parking lot.  Employees should be told to park up the street a block or two, not in front of the business.  This Business 101, which isn't' practiced much here.  I had a job where I had to park about 1/2 mile away and walk to work.  Even in the snow--nothing here to keep employees from doing the same thing, only under a palm tree.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I find it hard to believe that some of you find the biking thing more important than a huge problem for emergency vehicles and their future lack of ability to respond as quickly as possible. Death will be the result in some cases because of the ill placed bicycle path on a main thoroughfare in the largest town here. what makes more sense is for the bicycle path to start at the Monte Carlo Hotel heading west. A dose of reality for you bike people. I have lived on Hidalgo for many years. Some of my Mexican neighbours as well as other regional Mexicans do ride to their work. They start out in the AM at dawn or before when the traffic is light or practically non existent and they go home in the evening when the traffic is very light. On weekends there are more bikers who seem to manage quite nicely from the sail into downtown between the moving traffic and the parked cars on the lake side.Give these regular bikers some credit for riding cautiously. I know they do and all the rest I've said because I am in a position to observe all this first hand. May you never be in a position of life or death,death being the result if the ambulance can't get to you on time because of a not necessary bike path. THERE WILL BE NO PLACE FOR VEHICLES TO GET OUT OF THE WAY OF EMERGENCY VEHICLES. And yes I  just yelled that in the hopes that reality will sink in

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, bmh said:

Twenty years ago the workers would bicycle to work now most of them drive. Bicycling is a luxury, ambulances and firetrucks are here to help people ,they should have priority and there should be no bicycling on the malecon. If you want to exercise, walk or un.

Read my post,a lot of workers still do and they don't need a bicycle path and of most import is first responders unhindered access to those that need them. It has nothing to do with any malecon but public unfettered road way.

I think we can all agree that traffic is bad now and that all the improvements.. are making it worse.The lights do not work, people continue to turn left on the NO turn left signs, ,, there iis no room for bicycle lane especially since people park on the carretera, the work is screwing up everyone's business and so on The planning is horrendous and some streets are really saturated..Actually the only thing that is an improvement is that Tonio the little creep has now made himself the transito on market days and people can cross safely for a few pesos.. 

The bicycle lane is about 20 years too late..

Someone just got killed, again near la Huerta, crossing the carretera.   One car stopped to let the man crossed and another one did not.

It seems to me that we are missing the point.  Someone wanted underground fibreoptic along Hildago.  They bribed their way to get the bike path so the road could be torn up.  Notice that the fibre is going in on the traffic side of the bike path, not the away from traffic side.  That will make access to it even more dangerous and disruptive.

My thoughts.

1 minute ago, Colo-Rick said:

It seems to me that we are missing the point.  Someone wanted underground fibreoptic along Hildago.  They bribed their way to get the bike path so the road could be torn up.  Notice that the fibre is going in on the traffic side of the bike path, not the away from traffic side.  That will make access to it even more dangerous and disruptive.

My thoughts.

Guess again. There are only 2 pipes going down. The orange is sewer and the white is water which replaces the 50+ year old  clay pipes which were constanlty breaking all over the place. You apparently are missing the point of all new above ground poles being  replaced recently for carrying all sorts of wiring including fiber optics. Where do some of you come up with these weird and wild ideas?

Up on this end it looks like they are installing some sort of lighting along the path.  I assume the orange plastic electrical conduit is for this purpose.

What I'm wondering is whether they will close that gap in the bike path west of Juarez.  That is an exceedingly dangerous place to ride a bike.

21 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Up on this end it looks like they are installing some sort of lighting along the path.  I assume the orange plastic electrical conduit is for this purpose.

That's sewer in Chapala. My neigbours and I have had to have broken sections replaced from time to time and I have watched SIMAPA  do it. And all of Calle Mr. Crowe has been done. the larger is the main pipe and the 1/2 size is from the houses to the main. I base my observations on actual visual experience and Conversations with engineers on the projects If the orange conduit is roughly 1 inch it is to supply electrical as they did on Mr. crowe for the light poles there. What they did was run electrical wire from the poles on the lake side and down the first pole on Mr. Crowe and then run the 1 inch conduit under the sidewalk to each light pole.

Gentrification is inevitable. It requires people to get out of their vehicles, and shop by foot, or by bicycle. Exploring funky shops, bars, street musicians, and interesting restaurants, by day and by night. A lot of successful projects all over the world have revitalized whole neighborhoods. If your health is so critical that a hospital is necessary within five minutes away, I suggest you move to a place that is more suitable to your needs. The big question I have is if the bicycle path will allow electric bikes and small mobility scooters. If they do, that will be a big boost for viability, especially for many seniors. I think that once construction is finished, something will be worked out. Maybe there is room for a center lane marked for emergency vehicles only. If no room, start no parking on the other side of the street, with a generous pedestrian friendly space.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I don't see how anyone could possibly know that there is fibre in those conduits. Or what anything else is, for that matter. It's all a guess at this point, maybe educated, maybe not.

TV Rey could not possibly afford to bribe anyone to do it. TelMex would never even consider bribing someone, not when they can collect fees up front from entire fraccs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colo-Rick said:

From Riberas to San Antonio it is about a 2" orange conduit.  Could be to light the path, but it sure looks like fibre to me.

Certainly not water & sewer.

It is for electrical cable. There will be lamp posts all along the bike path. Fibre optic cable is already up on the power poles.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Gentrification is inevitable. It requires people to get out of their vehicles, and shop by foot, or by bicycle. Exploring funky shops, bars, street musicians, and interesting restaurants, by day and by night. A lot of successful projects all over the world have revitalized whole neighborhoods. If your health is so critical that a hospital is necessary within five minutes away, I suggest you move to a place that is more suitable to your needs. The big question I have is if the bicycle path will allow electric bikes and small mobility scooters. If they do, that will be a big boost for viability, especially for many seniors. I think that once construction is finished, something will be worked out. Maybe there is room for a center lane marked for emergency vehicles only. If no room, start no parking on the other side of the street, with a generous pedestrian friendly space.

Name me one town/city with a greater population than 13,000 who were stupid enough to do this on one of the main roads leading into and out of it and specifically the main intersection in the centre of it other than this fiasco here in Chapala. Are you visually impaired that you believe a center lane is possible there. You also have failed to observe what kind of businesses are there. And apparently you don't understand one of the functions of first responders, it has nothing to do with getting you to a hospital in 5 minutes. If you think you have a wonderful idea with this pie in the sky, perhaps "you" should move to your fantasy valhalla.

Chilllin ,  know this is lalal land but you really win a prize for that one.. The carretera is the main avenue in and out of town.. Make the whole center a pedestian and bike only place ok.. but reducing traffic on the only way in and out of town is pretty counterproductive...

• Like 1

If there is no parking allowed on the north side of Hidalgo then I think there is enough room for a small pedestrian walkway AND a small dedicated bike path. This will leave enough room on the road for cars to pull over to allow emergency vehicles to pass. Sorry, but I value a safe bike path over the right to park a car.  There is no reason to allow parking on both sides of Hidalgo for the narrow section through Chapala.  

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

If there is no parking allowed on the north side of Hidalgo then I think there is enough room for a small pedestrian walkway AND a small dedicated bike path. This will leave enough room on the road for cars to pull over to allow emergency vehicles to pass. Sorry, but I value a safe bike path over the right to park a car.  There is no reason to allow parking on both sides of Hidalgo for the narrow section through Chapala.  

Common sense is not so common-Voltaire.