Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
JKL

Tianguis Schedule for Christmas and New Year's

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know what the schedules will be for the Ajijic Tianguis since Christmas and New Year's fall on Wednesday this year?  Are alternative days scheduled, and if so, what are they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to know, too!  I am guessing Tuesday for these weeks, though that's Christmas Eve when many businesses close early (noon in most cases) or don't open at all.  Anyone know Ajijic Tianguis days/hours during Holiday weeks, for certain??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I would like to know, too!  I am guessing Tuesday for these weeks, though that's Christmas Eve when many businesses close early (noon in most cases) or don't open at all.  Anyone know Ajijic Tianguis days/hours during Holiday weeks, for certain??

You are in Mexico where Christmas Eve is important not Christmas day like NOB.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Why not just go to the larger tianguis in Chapala on Monday instead of speculating and wishing?

 

34 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Why not just go to the larger tianguis in Chapala on Monday instead of speculating and wishing?

Because we live in Ajijic, don't have a car and like to do business/schmooze with the folks that go to that tianguis. Does that splain it to you? Those of us that really care asked this last week and are passing on our results.....

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tianguis should be open on the 25th as Christmas day is not celebrated here. The celebration starts at night and can last all night but is over in the day so the merchants who did not celebrate too much will be there. 

New Year is  the same but you can ask on Christmas day  if they wll be there as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cafemediterraneo said:

 

Because we live in Ajijic, don't have a car and like to do business/schmooze with the folks that go to that tianguis. Does that splain it to you? Those of us that really care asked this last week and are passing on our results.....

Don't need a car when the buses will take you  and you can do business/schmooze with the same vendors and even more.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buses are nce but if you buy a lot you have to carry things back and it is a real pain. I guess you can take a bus but that cancels any saving.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Don't need a car when the buses will take you  and you can do business/schmooze with the same vendors and even more.

Buses can  be difficult for some even before they make their purchases (the high step up and abrupt accel/decelleration). Maybe time to look at an issue with eyes other than your own. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kam said:

Buses can  be difficult for some even before they make their purchases (the high step up and abrupt accel/decelleration). Maybe time to look at an issue with eyes other than your own. 

I don't wish to deprive someone of their eyes.For starters the vendors will ALL  be there Monday and bonus,they won't be hung over. Let's play your game. Those that are physically able can take the bus and take a couple of tote bags with them. For a small sampling, those are the people that are able to walk all over Ajijic's minefield. Are you suggesting the rest that want to do business and chatter  with their favourite vendors have no friends that wouldn't mind driving and joining them for 1,maybe 2 days out of the year? If so,it must be horrible having no friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

I don't wish to deprive someone of their eyes.For starters the vendors will ALL  be there Monday and bonus,they won't be hung over. Let's play your game. Those that are physically able can take the bus and take a couple of tote bags with them. For a small sampling, those are the people that are able to walk all over Ajijic's minefield. Are you suggesting the rest that want to do business and chatter  with their favourite vendors have no friends that wouldn't mind driving and joining them for 1,maybe 2 days out of the year? If so,it must be horrible having no friends.

As horrible as having no empathy or no willingness to ever concede a point?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this thread about finding out if the AJIJIC tianquis will be open on Christmas and New Years days?  Try as I could I can't see anything in the OP asking about Chapala as an alternative.    

Maybe we should stick to that question?  Sounds like some will be there on the two Wednesdays, some not.  

Of course thanks to the Chapala government Ajijic's tianquis street is pretty awful as you point out, that repair was a joke and it is falling apart.  Of course they found (more than a little of our) money to redo their market street properly and it is quite nice now along with many others and more all the time--there.  (Note: carretera is a Jalisco state project)

Nice of you to rub it in, "Happy."  Seems that in your mind we should just be grateful for the "opportunity" to go see our tax dollars at work in your town and ignore the continued gross neglect here.  Well some of us find that pretty unneighborly.  Sorry.

And BTW when I drop my car off in Riberas for work and ride the bus back I usually find standing room only and packed from one end to the other on those buses.  I can't imagine trying to pack the results of a shopping trip back here in those conditions.  I'll wager you've never tried that.

 

  

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

  I can't imagine trying to pack the results of a shopping trip back here in those conditions.  I'll wager you've never tried that.

 

  

 

My wife does the bus almost everyday and if we need  to do a big shop "friends" have volunteered to drive. I think  that I made it clear that I  am disabled but able to drive only and walk in the grocery store using the cart as a walker.My doctor recommended that I do this as part of my rehab. I don't find it strange, nor does it affect me one way or another that I have aroused negativity from certain regulars even though my only motivation was to suggest a reasonable and doable alternative to something that may be lacking or not at the Ajijic tianguis. Nothing will be lacking at the Monday tianguis so whip me with a wet noodle🤣💤.

Sincerely and all have a merry one

happyjillin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just asl my maid if she thought the vendors will be there  and she said she did not know but that probably some will be and some others not.. ...so buy food around and do not wait until the last minute..No need to go to Chapala. you can go to the Tuesday market in Ajijic and shop on the carratera or in your neighborhood if you want to be sure .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus, not that it totals enough to break anyone, but prices are less in Chapala (except for Soriana) than Ajijic, plus, I have been short changed and short weighted more in Chapala than Ajijic.

Thanks for the info that Christmas eve is the biggie in Mexico and not the day. I always am glad to learn and/or be corrected. Of course, I also check Google as a double check point.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Christmas eve night is the biggie, people work on the 24th but usually cut out early ..In the old days we would start the feast. go to church at 11 at nght , come out at mdnght and open presents and have desert and drnk and dance untl dawn and sleep on the 25th very lare.  used to hate the 25th, t was a really borng day except for the kds who played with their new toys but even that, it usually ws cold and the day was a downer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, happyjillin said:

My wife does the bus almost everyday and if we need  to do a big shop "friends" have volunteered to drive. I think  that I made it clear that I  am disabled but able to drive only and walk in the grocery store using the cart as a walker.My doctor recommended that I do this as part of my rehab. I don't find it strange, nor does it affect me one way or another that I have aroused negativity from certain regulars even though my only motivation was to suggest a reasonable and doable alternative to something that may be lacking or not at the Ajijic tianguis. Nothing will be lacking at the Monday tianguis so whip me with a wet noodle🤣💤.

Sincerely and all have a merry one

happyjillin

Naw, you get a pass on the wet noodle.  Feliz Navidad!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...