Chapala.com Webboard

Gas Pricing: Best location for Roja

mkshawn

8 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Changes all the time. You can drive all over town to save $20mxp on a fillup. Normally the station in Chapala near Soriana is a few centavos less per liter.

8 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Is it really worth it to save 20 peso...? 

Not at that station! What a traffic nightmare, AKA a clusterf**k!

I'm cheap and always look for good deals, but if it means going to that station, forget about it.

Gas appears to have just gone up.  I see the highest price is 21.89 for red.  The Pemex in Chapala just before Soriana is 21.20 today.  We often use the one in west Ajijic, further west of the BP station.  The last time we were there was on 22 November, and the price was 20.90 pesos.  So there are two options for you.

38 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

So you pass gas 3 times daily?

:D :D  :D 

OK, that was good for a laugh this morning.  LOL

Seriously, avoiding the stations that seem to have "small " liters is going to save a lot more than a few centavos.  Anyone care to comment on which stations are the most likely NOT to have this problem?

On 12/12/2019 at 8:28 AM, mkshawn said:

I was curious if privatization had any significant impact without driving all over. Guess not! Have used the Pemex by Soriano but always coming from the lake side. The quietest one always seems to be at the top of the Libermento on the way to Guad. Thanks all

"Privatization" simply means that some gas stations have the right to use names other than PEMEX on their signs--BP, FLASH, some others.  The gasoline is still from PEMEX.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

:D :D  :D 

OK, that was good for a laugh this morning.  LOL

Seriously, avoiding the stations that seem to have "small " liters is going to save a lot more than a few centavos.  Anyone care to comment on which stations are the most likely NOT to have this problem?

Our experience in Guanajuato for several months has been that we avoid Pemex stations like the plague and use Shell and Mobil. These have new pumps and so far seem to give Much better gas mileage than we almost always got from Pemex stations. All say the gas is Pemex, but the newer ones don't seem to cheat much , yet ! Still need to watch the readings as they deliver it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, More Liana said:

"Privatization" simply means that some gas stations have the right to use names other than PEMEX on their signs--BP, FLASH, some others.  The gasoline is still from PEMEX.  

Most of the time however some of the newer majors are trucking in their own gasoline further up north.  I believe this was reported in Mexico News Daily some time ago.

Mexicans are going to continue to pay through the nose for fuel until Pemex's monopoly is completely ended.  And having to compete across the board is the only way that corrupt, inept and thoroughly feather bedded organization is ever going to improve IMO.  

59 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Most of the time however some of the newer majors are trucking in their own gasoline further up north.  I believe this was reported in Mexico News Daily some time ago.

Mexicans are going to continue to pay through the nose for fuel until Pemex's monopoly is completely ended.  And having to compete across the board is the only way that corrupt, inept and thoroughly feather bedded organization is ever going to improve IMO.  

To my knowledge all the Pemex stations are franchisees and individually set the retail prices just like the other brands are. Pemex the  Government supplier to all does not set their prices so it really doesn't matter that THEY are a monopoly who are attempting to clean up corruption within their organization, in any event.

The reality is that there is much less of a need for  Roja here because

1) all cars have knock sensors will prevent any damage to the motor which really only occurs under full load and at low rpms, rarely seen puttering around lakeside

2) at this altitude engines don't need a super high octane. This is why in Colorado they sell much lower octane fuel across the board. Premium in Colorado is 89 if I'm not mistaken

16 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Key word, "attempting."  As long as there is no market discipline due to competition, they will continue to be attempting.

:D 

You are forgetting they set the wholesale price and that price is quite high.  The new limited competition is very happy to go along with the price fixing. 

Their recent higher prices are related more to a domestic production decline and that's why Mexico has opened up somewhat to foreign oil and gas players ,I am not referring to retail stations. lets hope that AMLO continues this strategy.