Chapala.com Webboard

Extend internet line to casita?

MexLuis

You can go to Computerland in Riberas, and ask Ruben. Now, keep in mind, that either:

a. the hole being drilled for the cable is big enough to accept the attached jacks, or

b. the hole is only big enough for the ethernet cable, and you attach the jacks after you run the cable.

• Like 2

I don't know if this helps but I found Cat 7 and Cat 8 on Amazon WITH the jacks... but only Cat7 that was 200 feet long.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cat+8+200+ft&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Personally, I'd drill the larger hole because it can always be "filled" in and with the jacks already attached, it's a simple DIY. YMMV.

Update:

Went to Computerland. Cable would take sun/rain wear and tear... Thus: They recommended a wifi extender tp link ac1750 RE450, same as shown here (for less -78.00 with shipping and import or 58.00  if in states), and here for 93.00 USD (1800 pesos).  Lifespan will be longer than cable, and not require any installation to speak of.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-PCMag-Editors-Choice-Extender/dp/B010S6SG3S/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wifi+extender+tp+link+ac1750&qid=1576008146&sr=8-3

So I post this for others, for if NOB you may want to nab that for less for it extends way beyond a typical casa/casita distance.

Wired vs wifi (even extender) is not going to produce the same speed in your casita.... or anywhere for that matter. Wired will be much better. Take a wifi device out to the casita and see what kind of speeds you get (or get as far as you can with wifi signal and test speed).  An extender will be a little better but neither will approach the wired speed if this is of importance.

An example might be:  wired iLOX or Telmex fiber might be 70mbps; wifi, expecially at distance might only be 20mbps even if one has an extender to get it out there to begin with.

YMMV

• Like 1

Rick is 100% correct on this. Your casita is too far away for even the best extenders.

I would recommend you do both: run the cable and hook it up the that extender in the casita. That's going to give you the best Internet, far better than the lossy extender can, but the same extender will give you lots of coverage in and around the casita.

• Like 1