Chapala.com Webboard

What's the deal with MSM...real or another myth?

Have been reading about this and its use for pain relief particularly for joint pain, also in conjunction with Glucosamine. Have tried to find this at Cristina Pharmacy and elsewhere here but only the MSM in powder form. This is available online (Glucosamine with MSM). Where can I buy it locally? Have a bad hip due to a botched hip replacement and always looking for improvement in medication. Also want to try it for my dog Minnie who has a bad case of arthritis in her back legs that has had some relief from a medicine in tablet form called Carprotec from Dr. Pepe, but do not know it's long term implications. Gracias.

I can only speak from my own experience. I have had mild arthritis for over 20 years. I have been taking Glucosamine/MSM for most of that time and it hasn't gotten any worse. Is that the reason why? No se.

We were adopted by an old cat with arthritis. I added powdered MSM to her food and she was much improved.

You can get Glucosamine/MSM tablets at the health food store next to SuperLake or online from iHerb. The powder for pets is at Ladrones but is not cheap.

10 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Have been reading about this and its use for pain relief particularly for joint pain, also in conjunction with Glucosamine. Have tried to find this at Cristina Pharmacy and elsewhere here but only the MSM in powder form. This is available online (Glucosamine with MSM). Where can I buy it locally? Have a bad hip due to a botched hip replacement and always looking for improvement in medication. Also want to try it for my dog Minnie who has a bad case of arthritis in her back legs that has had some relief from a medicine in tablet form called Carprotec from Dr. Pepe, but do not know it's long term implications. Gracias.

I have been giving my dogs Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM for 20 - 30 years. I buy the large bottle at Costco. The first time I used it was for a dog which was partially paralyzed on the recommendation of a breeder. She had a Dachshund which was paralyzed from the "waist" down and the dog recovered when given this. I do not buy anything from the vets, it is the same stuff only more costly. Through the years I have had other Dachsies with this same or like problems as well as a few larger dogs with joint problems and always have given this to them with positive results. At the moment I have a Schnauzer who was not using one of his back legs, had him at Dr. Carlos Baron in Guadalajara and was given expensive medicine which included the Glucosamine. He is now using his back leg normally again, I give him a pill every day.

I also have a dog on the Carprotec, She needs it for a bone spur. I wean her off it whenever I can, sometimes I just give her half or one every other day. If she has pain again I go back to one a day until I see she appears to be OK. I do not know the long term affect of this, she was on another pain killer which had adverse impact on her health in the long run. 

Hope this helps you, as I said, I buy a big jar of the Glucosamine at Costco, cheaper that way.

In 2008 I had a very bad episode with the arthritis in my right hip .  Could not lift my leg more than 10 inches off the floor---- no pain, just would not elevate.  Hector Ladron told me to mix 1/4 tsp. MSM (which I got from him -- his is safe for humans ) in a glass of water each morning.  In no time, it was MUCH better.  Continued that regimen until other physical issues made me up it to  1/4 tsp. 2 x daily.

Eventually (2018) had that hip replaced.  Decided to go without and see what happened.  Within 2 weeks I had pain in many other arthritic joints all over!  Back on plain  MSM and it was incredibly better. (Can't add Glucosamine due to a conflicting med.)

I know there are opinions pro and con.  For ME it's' essential.  I now buy it on MercadoLibre in 1 kg foil packet (also food grade) for best economy.

MSM (methylsullfonylmethane) is what it is.  If you buy it   by itself (sort of a fine crystal-like powder), you are getting just MSM.  If you get something that has MSM plus other things in it, you will not get the same concentration of the product, and will have to carefully read labels to try and imagine how much you're getting per pill or capsule.

I have been taking Glucosamine Sulfate 2 tabs per day @1,000 mgs. each for quite a few years. 

There are lots of choices for MSM that I see available to me. Is the bulk powder more effective than the capsules for most of you? If so, what brand  and amount/dosage is advisable? Or what dosage in capsule form is recommended? 

Thank you.