Chapala.com Webboard

Vicky's Sourdough Donuts

cafemediterraneo

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Went yesterday and all they had were a few donuts and stale cinnamon rolls.Told me they need 30 hours notice to preorder sourdough loaf. I can get sourdough instantly elsewhere. Ain't going back.

really, where? I've looked for sourdough bread and can't find it. 

On 12/13/2019 at 10:18 AM, happyjillin said:

If you're referring to me  you should be getting an award of some sort for this post because I said her sign[which is barely visible from the right side of the road] ,i said it was a replica of a  donut not a green tire. Chocolate it is. Unless you're colour blind chocolate is brown not green. If you're not referring to me,ignore my comment.

There is no sign and no brown doughnut anywhere in the vicinity of the shop. I have been there many times since they opened, it is just as the picture shows, the arched door next to the llantera shop.  "A picture is worth a thousand words".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

Bialys

Oh, really - cue Homer Simpson donut voice:   Mmmmmmmm….bialys.    Toasted, so light & crunchy / crispy, pass the cream cheese please!

Typical image for those not familiar (try 'em unless you don't like onions and a bit of garlic)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=izCwsuc%2b&id=F978CDECDA68CFF6B7FB2184DCDC64AA115D3795&thid=OIP.izCwsuc-B1qab0t3PAxvOQHaFS&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2ffarm4.static.flickr.com%2f3616%2f3364454274_85c53bea95_o.jpg&exph=393&expw=550&q=bialys&simid=608038450721197900&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

Could be growing pains. Could be because with the fun reporting here, she wasn't expecting so many so often. Sadly, that will die down and she will wonder what the heck happened.

But, my guess is she is just like many stores or food places here: they don't come in early to get ready. You go to the cinema upstairs at Plaza Bugambilias, the hot dogs are not going to be ready for the first movie, because they don't go in early to set up. You go to that wood-fired pizza place on the highway between San Antonio and Riberas, and they don't start the fire until after they open to the public. You go for wings at Vancouver Wings, they don't start heating the oil until the first customer turns up. They all think a 1 pm opening is when they are supposed to arrive, too... or whenever.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Could be growing pains. Could be because with the fun reporting here, she wasn't expecting so many so often. Sadly, that will die down and she will wonder what the heck happened.

But, my guess is she is just like many stores or food places here: they don't come in early to get ready. You go to the cinema upstairs at Plaza Bugambilias, the hot dogs are not going to be ready for the first movie, because they don't go in early to set up. You go to that wood-fired pizza place on the highway between San Antonio and Riberas, and they don't start the fire until after they open to the public. You go for wings at Vancouver Wings, they don't start heating the oil until the first customer turns up. They all think a 1 pm opening is when they are supposed to arrive, too... or whenever.

They start work at 4am and make so many different items and only sell fresh.....

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, cafemediterraneo said:

They start work at 4am and make so many different items and only sell fresh.....

So you're saying that they do the same thing as the majority of the panaderias around here. Actually I  know some that start at 3AM. As I mentioned before ,when we went there and it was in the Am,there were only a very  FEW things available and he told me he needed 30 hrs. notice to bake a loaf of sourdough. Whereas the Panedaria Scandinavia across the road has a vast stock of fresh and bonus you can sit there and have a coffee with that huge choice of fresh. Oh,and we bought 2 of Scandinavia's excellent fresh stollen  for Xmas.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

Many of us think ahead so the donuts are on the counter next to the coffee pot when we get up. One shouldn't assume that their way is the only way. Vicky's will do fine without the cranky element.

...Once again proving there are exceptions to every rule. Some people even buy the day old donuts which are often sold at discount.

Different strokes for different folks.

Don't know the size of their confection oven or how many they have but if they start at 4 in the morning, many items should be ready by 7 a.m.  The bakery I am most familiar with, starts at 4 in the morning and has most items ready for sale at 6 a.m.   

• Like 1

Sourdough takes from 12-24 hours to be ready. So they don't start the process in the morning.

It was stated they start work at 4am...Why is everyone thinking it takes 5 hours to bake bread and bagels? I can mix, have the dough rise, pound down , rise again & bake in less than 2 hours.

My point was that if a bakery opens at 7am they should have product ready at 7am. Customers who arrive 45 minutes after opening aren't there to observe the process, they are there to buy, and for sure not to be told to return in a couple of hours.

Again I suggest to call ahead if you are going early.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...