Chapala.com Webboard

UBER

We have just arrive at Lakeside for a week and want use UBER!

I checked w/ UBER before leaving NOB and I am told my normal UBER App should work just fine!

Problem is normally I would see where all UBER cars are ....but I see none Lakeside or Guad for that matter. 

Any thoughts?

• Haha 1

I use Uber here in Guadalajara.  I always have one within 5 minutes, and unlike a lot of regular taxis here: no discussion on prices ( the right price appears on my cell phone ), or claiming that the taximeters dont work, and they use the fastest route..... ( I am tired of all that ).

Lots of advantages, and I tip.

Taxi licences are often only handed out to those who know the right people ( so you can guess where the money ends up ..... ) and they like to work banking hours only.

I only use a regular taxi when I am at Lakeside because I have a good friend/taxi driver there ( that is how I know about the "taxi licence game" ....I am being polite here ).

I am a Uber fan.  Support the hard working Uber driver, when you can.  They often also have a family.

Rony

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Rony said:

Taxi licences are often only handed out to those who know the right people ( so you can guess where the money ends up ..... ) and they like to work banking hours only.

I call BS on this big time. I have known my friend Juan for over 10 years and he is available all the time day or night early or late. He goes above and beyond when I am hospitalized,takes our guests on tours,etc. He didn't get his license as per your sleazy innuendo.He is forced to change his car by regulation[3 years?] among all the other gov't costs and forced to have an accountant plus of course all sorts of gov't fees. The new forced decore on his taxi and all the other taxis around here Must go to ONE supplier only.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

I call BS on this big time. I have known my friend Juan for over 10 years and he is available all the time day or night early or late. He goes above and beyond when I am hospitalized,takes our guests on tours,etc. He didn't get his license as per your sleazy innuendo.He is forced to change his car by regulation[3 years?] among all the other gov't costs and forced to have an accountant plus of course all sorts of gov't fees. The new forced decore on his taxi and all the other taxis around here Must go to ONE supplier only.

I will be more polite than you ( and less emotional ) are and simply agree to strongly disagree.  Good that you are loyal to your hard working friend.

I am happy that there are customers for both services, and wanted to point out that, as always, there is also ...another side.

All the best

Rony

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Rony said:

I will be more polite than you ( and less emotional ) are and simply agree to strongly disagree.  Good that you are loyal to your hard working friend.

I am happy that there are customers for both services, and wanted to point out that, as always, there is also ...another side.

All the best

Rony

You and your dog won't need Juan to make any special trips to a vet in Guadalajara again since you are there and can use Uber

17 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

You and your dog won't need Juan to make any special trips to a vet in Guadalajara again since you are there and can use Uber

Very true, Pedro.  Now we can

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rony said:

I use Uber here in Guadalajara.  I always have one within 5 minutes, and unlike a lot of regular taxis here: no discussion on prices ( the right price appears on my cell phone ), or claiming that the taximeters dont work, and they use the fastest route..... ( I am tired of all that ).

Lots of advantages, and I tip.

I only use a regular taxi when I am at Lakeside because I have a good friend/taxi driver there ( that is how I know about the "taxi licence game" ....I am being polite here ).

I am a Uber fan.  Support the hard working Uber driver, when you can.  They often also have a family.

Rony

Rony, that has been our experience too with taxis, and here in Jocotepec, you can imagine the orders of magnitude WORSE that it is compared to Ajijic!  We've missed flights because of taxi "no shows" arranged days ahead of time.  We've called one taxi after the other and have been stood up because either they find a better fare or just are not in the mood to show up.  And they always say they will be there in 10 minutes instead of telling you the truth, that they have no intention of showing up.

We here in Jocotepec are done with the local taxis!  I understand and agree with the sentiment of supporting local but what is there to support with the kind of f%*king service they provide, or lack of.  I think it's wonderful that happyjillin has found someone they can rely on.  Wish we could find one here and I'd be loyal to them unto death, but no such luck for us.  And we've been through at least a dozen of them.  I've developed a disgust for taxi drivers as a result of our experience with them here in Jocotepec over the last 10 years.

We've never used UBER, neither here or in the States but I'm very interested in investigating that possibility Lakeside.  To give our private drivers at $1000 peso rides to the airport one way, a break.  Or at least my wallet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, bmh said:

I have not been able to get aUBER totake me to the airport from Ajijic so do not get your hopes up.At this pont t would be cheaper to sleep mear the airport and take a shuttle to the airport , nO?

There is a great new hotel directly across the highway from the entrance of the airport.  We've started to do that lately, overnight there and then they shuttle you to airport in less than five minutes, 24 hours a day.  Very nice modern rooms around $1000 pesos per night.  Hanger Inn Hotel.

There I go again, can never stay on topic!

It is a nice an easy way to travel if you have to leave early  or want to make sure to get there..no stress...or you can have a night on the town in Guadaljara and take UBER to the airpoty ot a shuttle..

When coming bacj from Europe I do just that , I stay in Mexico have a nice tie there and take a bus or a plane to get home a t a time that is convenent for me.. I am through worrying about connections and cabs..

I've found UBER to work well in GDL, Mexico City and other urban areas.  I've also used it to get from the GDL airport to Ajijic at a good and fair price.  With that said, I do understand that it isn't an option (in general) for those wishing to travel lakeside and would encourage those who need this type of service to establish transportation from one of more reliable Taxi/Driver services available lakeside.

Cheers,

Val  :)

On 12/7/2019 at 8:56 PM, David Rodwell said:

We have just arrive at Lakeside for a week and want use UBER!

I checked w/ UBER before leaving NOB and I am told my normal UBER App should work just fine!

Problem is normally I would see where all UBER cars are ....but I see none Lakeside or Guad for that matter. 

Any thoughts?

I was charged for a ride because I looked for an Uber and no cars were available. Watch because if you look for an Uber and none are available you might be charged anyway. Use the local cabs. 

24 minutes ago, Joco said:

I was charged for a ride because I looked for an Uber and no cars were available. Watch because if you look for an Uber and none are available you might be charged anyway. Use the local cabs. 

Very odd ....until you click to accept the ride you are not charged. They can see if the driver arrives at your location. Once in Paris  the driver said I was not there. I saw in the app that he was on the wrong side of a 8 lane street. I received a message saying I would be charged and not to call until you are ready to be picked up. I requested again and the next driver arrived on the right side of the street in 2 minutes. I sent Uber a message using the app.  My ccard was credited for the first charge. 

On 12/9/2019 at 4:51 PM, Mostlylost said:

Very odd ....until you click to accept the ride you are not charged. They can see if the driver arrives at your location. Once in Paris  the driver said I was not there. I saw in the app that he was on the wrong side of a 8 lane street. I received a message saying I would be charged and not to call until you are ready to be picked up. I requested again and the next driver arrived on the right side of the street in 2 minutes. I sent Uber a message using the app.  My ccard was credited for the first charge. 

I checked the app and there wasn't a car available. I made other arrangements. I found out I was charged when a week later I was checking my PayPal account. I have been fighting Uber over the charge for days and filed a complaint with PayPal. I can prove I didn't take Uber but that doesn't make any difference to them. Beware. If you look for a car, you might be charged anyway. Good luck getting your money back.