Chapala.com Webboard

Have an HSBC Account?

Natasha

Mystery charge showed up last month when I checked on line..... $315 pesos plus IVA.  Kind of shrugged.  Then showed up again THIS month when checking today.  Called bank. 

"It's a monthly charge if you do not maintain minimum balance of $200,000 pesos, Señora..."  "Since WHEN???"  "Since 2 years ago Señora."  "Then how come it has never shown up in the last 9 years?"  " You must come into the branch Señora".  Click.

Off to the bank, columnar accounting book in hand with every detail of this account since 2009.  Wait 40 minutes. Really getting steamed. Get in front of Manager.  Show him all the deposits, withdrawals, and NO fees applied. After LONG time waiting while he talks with someone in some center somewhere, we arrive at the conclusion it's a "system error".  And of course, while they put it on there pretty quickly, I have a folio number to refer to at the branch again if it does not show up as a reverse entry by Dec 18 !!!  

Giving him benefit of the doubt that it's only me, but in case the "system" decides to make more errors against other people, if you have an HSBC account better be checking it out!

A few years ago I was having trouble with my HSBC debit card. The manager came over to "help" me. In the process my card got eaten by the ATM. The manager shrugged his shoulders and said "well, you don't need one as your husband has a card:!

I promptly walked over to the tellers and closed the account.

Maybe I didn't make it clear.  We don't keep that kind of balance either, and haven't been charged a fee in years and years.  I gathered the fee charged was for a different kind of account  offered by HSBC.  My point is, because I know of a massive error at a different Mexican bank that happened to a friend a couple of years ago, it's really important to question anything odd ASAP. If the "system" tried to pull a fast one on this account, how many more that should not attract fees did it also hit?

I had an account with HSBC, requiring 1000 pesos so a monthly fee would not be charged.  I kept a little over 1000 pesos for avoid a monthly charge.  As time went by and I didn't use the account for a while, I checked on line and they had raised the minimum amount to be in the account without charging a monthly fee to 4000 pesos.  No notice. No email. No phone call.  No nothing.  When I went down to the bank to see why they had been tapping my account for several months 170 pesos a month, that is when they told me they had raised the minimum amount to 4000 pesos to avoid a monthly fee.  I immediately closed the pittance amount that was remaining in the account and opened an account with Multiva.  They have several officers, all speak English, you can make and appointment, bring your necessary documents and I opened an account, eazy peezy.  So much easier to deal with and they have 2 tellers on duty and there are no lines and you can talk to someone who comprehends.  If your interested make an appointment with Monica.  She knows what she is doing and fluent in English.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slainte39 said:

What is it and what does this mean?   I have never had a problem with them so I am very interested in an expansion of this comment,

Various international companies (Fitch, Standard & Poor's, Moody's, HR, etc) rate banks on a variety of aspects.  Google them yourself and form your own opinion.  It's not "terrible". It just wasn't satisfactory to me...... but you may be perfectly at ease.

Wait times and comprehension a problem at HSBC. I had a Mexican man with me to close my account and after an hour the officer said he was not authorized to close the account. The super was not there to close the account so I had to go back another 3/4 hour to get it closed. If the unauthorized officer could not close the account why didn’t he say that right up front to save an hour to get nothing accomplished.  

Went to HSBC in Laguna Mall today. They said someone in Mexico city made a mistake as I should not have such charges (like below minimum balance) as I am a Premier customer. We will see if I get credited. Service can be quite slow there if it something other than basic stuff. 

13 hours ago, Natasha said:

Various international companies (Fitch, Standard & Poor's, Moody's, HR, etc) rate banks on a variety of aspects.  Google them yourself and form your own opinion.  It's not "terrible". It just wasn't satisfactory to me...... but you may be perfectly at ease.

Intercam will be opening a sucursal in SAT soon at the new strip mall being constructed adjacent to, and just west of the Coca Cola distribuior.

• Thanks 1