Chapala.com Webboard

citizenship and proof of status

nik

I would like to ask if anybody aware how do you prove that you have been in mexico 5 years when you apply for citizenship.

We are renewing the temporary residency for another 3 years after initial first year.  They have taken the original residency cards with the application.

How do you prove that you have been in mexico under temporary residence when you apply for citizenship. 

They do not make the process easy do they?

Thank you

16 hours ago, bmh said:

I used my passport and the stamps in and out of Mexico. You can also ask INM to run a sheet showing all your entries and exits..

The OP was asking about proof of 5 years residence in Mexico. Passport is no help. They need copies of all R.P. or R.T. cards or a printout from INM showing total time of residence in Mexico. Yes they will also need to fill out a form detailing their exits and entries that matches any stamps in their passport.

I used my passpirt because all my entries were stamped. That was a while ago but I was abe to use my 2 passports to make the list.  U do not visit the US  so I do not know what they do at the border there  .. I fly in and out of Mexico and my passport was fine ad that was in Guadalajara.

3 hours ago, bmh said:

I used my passpirt because all my entries were stamped. That was a while ago but I was abe to use my 2 passports to make the list.  U do not visit the US  so I do not know what they do at the border there  .. I fly in and out of Mexico and my passport was fine ad that was in Guadalajara.

The OP was asking about proof of 5 years residence in Mexico.

13 hours ago, bmh said:

mIapplied for citizenship in Guadaljara and used  my passport to show how many times and how long I was in Mexico.. What part of that don´t you understand? They checked the passport against their run and that is all I needed. 

Sorry if I misunderstood. 

So in your application package you had no copies of your residence cards?  If you didn't then you were very lucky, because it is required in the package.

A passport only shows entries and possibly exits. It is no proof that you have lived as a legal resident for the time required. I have an old passport that has an entry stamp from 1985. Surely not proof I was a legal resident since 1985.

To help board members;  as prospective applicants for citizenship you should have copies of all resident cards necessary to prove that you  meet the residency requirements. If not you should have a printout of the residency from INM.  If you don't have all documents required by the DNN-3 and the law then it is most likely that you will need to return with those documents. 

of course I had a copy of my permanente but I also needed to prove I had not been out of the country for more  than whatever the amount of time was at the time..   The visa from Mexico is the first thing you should be thinking of having.. without it you cannot live legally in  Mexico.

5 hours ago, bmh said:

of course I had a copy of my permanente but I also needed to prove I had not been out of the country for more  than whatever the amount of time was at the time..   The visa from Mexico is the first thing you should be thinking of having.. without it you cannot live legally in  Mexico.

Sorry. I must apologize again.   I read that you used your passport for proof of residency when you asked me what part I didn't understand.  Now you are saying you had copies of the residence cards. So sorry I was so confused. Guess I am just stupid....

Now the reason I responded to the OP who asked how to prove 5 years residence if he did not have a copy of all his residence cards .... and hoping he would not be confused when you stated you used your passport to show proof of 5 years residence in response to his question

I am trying to help anyone, including the OP,  with questions about application for citizenship by naturalization .  If I see another poster giving inaccurate or confusing information I try to correct it.  Thus my comments regarding your posting. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So readers If you don't have copies or your residence cards covering the 5 years prior to your application (as required in item 3) then you will need to get a printout from INM. ( and a general recommendation for those living in Mexico is to keep copies of all important documents forever)

As to entries and exits (as per item 6) you present a letter signed under oath with the dates of your exits and entries in the 2 years previous to the application.  (should match any stamps in your passport) 

SRE has all the requirements for naturalization on their web site 

REQUIREMENTS  (The translation is mine) You can read the original text here: https://sre.gob.mx/carta-de-naturalizacion-por-residencia

• 1. Be of legal age and within their civil rights;
  • 2. Submit original and copy of the DNN-3 application , which must be filled in by machine or by hand with black ink and legible print;
  • 3.Exhibit original and two photocopies of the card issued by the Ministry of the Interior proving the condition of stay of temporary resident, or permanent resident, with which the interested party proves their legal stay (Art. 14 RLN), accordingly, the residence in the country for five immediate years prior to the date of the application, which must be valid for a minimum of six months, after the submission of the application, from which the Unique Population Registration Code (CURP) is derived;
  • 4. Deliver a certified copy and two photocopies of the foreign birth certificate, issued by the corresponding Civil Registry office, duly legalized by the Mexican diplomatic or consular representative of the place of issue or, where appropriate, apostilled by the competent authority, as well as Translated into Spanish by expert translator authorized by the Judiciary of any federal entity of the national territory. The applicant who has been recognized as a refugee by the Ministry of the Interior (COMAR) may be exempted from this requirement;
  • 5. Present original and two photocopies of all the pages of the foreign passport or, where appropriate, of the valid identity and travel document;  ( my words: these should be color copies including the front and back outside of the passport)
  • 6. Present a letter, under oath, clearly stating the number of exits and entrances you have made to and from the country within two years prior to the submission of the application, for the computation of absences, referred to in article 21 of the Nationality Law, (accompany two photocopies); 
  • 7. Submit proof or certificate of no criminal record issued by competent authority at federal and local level depending on the place of residence, in original and photocopy;
  • 8. Prove that you can speak Spanish, that you know the history of the country and are integrated into the national culture**. 
  • 9. Deliver two equal photographs. recent color, passport size (4.5 x 3.5 cms.), with white background, front, without glasses, bare head;
  • 10. Present proof of payment of corresponding fees, in original. 
  •  NOTE: To prove what is stated in section III of article 19 of the nationality law, those interested in obtaining Mexican citizenship  by naturalization will be given a test on culture and general history of Mexico, for this purpose it is recommended to enter the Next link where you will find reference bibliography.

• Also, in case of not passing such exams, the interested party will have to wait a minimum of ten business days to resubmit the naturalization application and the application of the exams. The public servant will inform the interested party that they will be able to present the exams up to two occasions and in case of not passing them, they will have to wait until one year, counted from the day following the application of their last exam, to enter a new application for naturalization.

• In the case of a foreigner whom the Ministry of the Interior considers to be a refugee, as well as in the case of minors and persons over sixty years of age, it will be sufficient to prove that they speak Spanish through the language test.

1 hour ago, nik said:

Thank you!

How hard/long would it take to get a print out from INM for the missing copy of the first year Temporary residency card?

Could one apply for this print out before date of eligibility to apply for citizenship.

Thank you

If you need the first year residence as part of your 5 years then you will need to visit INM. You can certainly do it in advance of your eligibility for nationalization. 

How long it will take will depend on various factors.   Plan on 10 working days minimum. Remember vacations start in a few days. 

The person who produces that record in Mexico City was ill and then died months ago. Since then I am not aware of any records being issued.

As to re writing test I had a client do it twice in one day and he passed the second time.