Chapala.com Webboard

Legal Alternatives for Notarizing US Documents without going to a US Consulate

snowyco

Need to get a document officially legally Notarized  ... and don't have time to wait 2 - 4 weeks for a US Consulate appointment ... or who don't want the $50 per page Consulated expense  ... or the expense & hassles of getting to a US Consulate:

Consider this (fully legal) option:

https://yucalandia.com/2019/12/06/need-to-notarize-a-document-when-abroad/

• 2 weeks later...

Never, in my experience; nor have I ever heard of anyone having a problem.  What I have heard is thatt sometimes an expat asks the NoB person if they will accept a Mexican notarization. They get an answer based upon total ignorance.  Then, the whining begins.

Don't ask. Just do it. The Mexican notario's holographic seals are so impressive, that they will be received without question.

NEVER say NEVER -  Merrill Lynch would prefer the U.S. consulate to avoid any possible problems with your documents which might involve members of your family or others in the U.S.        SO I so smartly took my documents to the U.S. with me and in Nevada a notary can witness and notarize your documents - which she did. Well my address is in Illinois who does not allow same signature notary for witness/notary. Little did I know.

Learned my lesson - no matter how impressive the notario's seal, it's not worth the chance - depending your what you need the signature for.  And I have indeed known of others with similar problems...

On 12/15/2019 at 8:29 AM, tomgates said:

Notary's are specific to the US and specific to a geographical place. Consider flying to Tijuana and cross the border and find one there and fly back.

The information with respect to the link indicates they are authorized in every state.

• 4 weeks later...

It all comes down to what the other party accepts, and~or if someone challenges the notarization in the future.

Formally, there are some US States that have officially legally recognized 'reciprocity' with the notaries in other states - when the cooperating States have effectively the same Notarizing rules. .. Still... some other states REQUIRE only Notaries licensed in the their State.

Caveat emptor ...   What's worked for some people may not work for you. ;)

That's where using a professional Notarization service, that follows all of your State's rules, can make all the difference.

https://yucalandia.com/2019/12/06/need-to-notarize-a-document-when-abroad/

If you are unable to wait for a 2 to 4 week appt time at the Guadalajara consulate you can take a small vacation and drive to San Miguel Allende, GTO.  The US Consulate there will notarize your documents on a walk-in-basis I think Mon thru Fri 12-1:30PM.  A mini vacation with great sight seeing and great restaurants.  Or there is always PV but I do not know if they accept walk-ins.  Like the Mexicans say, "There is always a way....."

• Like 2