Chapala.com Webboard

Border Crossing

A group of us will be crossing the border by US plated car en route to Oregon.

I have the following concerns.

I have been reading about border delays (a few months ago) . do they still exist?

As I have not crossed a border in years I was curious what is the current situation with entering the Police State of the USA in general as well. Has the process changed much? What is the expectation you have when returning to USA in a USA plated vehicle? Are many vehicles subjet to full inspection or do they waive you on?

Also most all of the information about border crossings I read seems to be about going to Mexico and not much about going to USA.

Thanks

Mark

Actually it is not on the Mexico side (Mexico side?) where much of a backup will be but rather on the US Customs side.

I think that if you go into the US thinking "Police State" your mindset might depict how it goes for you. The process has not changed much over the years and I pretty much find all of the CBP personnel to be professional if not very much attuned to their task. Arriving in a US plated vehicle will probably be your best bet as it matches multi-millions of others there. They will DEFINITELY not just wave you on but of course that has never happened. Prepare to answer several questions.... preferably truthfully...., have no 'goods' that are persona non grata (meats, produce, fruits, guns or bullets etc). They will not care how much booze you are bringing into the US but the State you are coming into.... Texas especially.... will and will require you to stop and pay a tax on it..

Here is a URL to check all border crossings for wait times by the hour.

US Customs and Border Protection Web Site.... estimated wait time for reaching the primary US inspection booth

https://apps.cbp.gov/...action=n&pn=2304

This is for Laredo. Click on 'Back to List' to see all other crossings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, RickS said:

Actually it is not on the Mexico side (Mexico side?) where much of a backup will be but rather on the US Customs side.

I think that if you go into the US thinking "Police State" your mindset might depict how it goes for you. The process has not changed much over the years and I pretty much find all of the CBP personnel to be professional if not very much attuned to their task. Arriving in a US plated vehicle will probably be your best bet as it matches multi-millions of others there. They will DEFINITELY not just wave you on but of course that has never happened. Prepare to answer several questions.... preferably truthfully...., have no 'goods' that are persona non grata (meats, produce, fruits, guns or bullets etc). They will not care how much booze you are bringing into the US but the State you are coming into.... Texas especially.... will and will require you to stop and pay a tax on it..

Here is a URL to check all border crossings for wait times by the hour.

US Customs and Border Protection Web Site.... estimated wait time for reaching the primary US inspection booth

https://apps.cbp.gov/...action=n&pn=2304

This is for Laredo. Click on 'Back to List' to see all other crossings.

Thanks for the link, very helpful. 

Sorry but that IS how I feel about the USA, especially Post 911. I just wish more people would recognize it!

• Sad 4

Good luck with an uneventful crossing which it should be as long as you aren't trying to skirt any laws.

It goes without saying that not having any arrest warrants is a good idea.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Good luck with an uneventful crossing which it should be as long as you aren't trying to skirt any laws.

It goes without saying that not having any arrest warrants is a good idea.

As far as I´m concerned, don´t say or do anything to hinder it´s departure.   Maybe I can get some sleep.

• Like 1