Chapala.com Webboard

US trained Massage Therapist

RCman

Many of the "massage therapists" trained here are sorely lacking in knowledge of anatomy and technique.  Unless they trained additionally they are good at "la la" massage but not anything more.  Deep tissue or therapeutic massage is difficult to find.  But there are some really good therapists here, you just have to search them out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bmh said:

Jorge Ulloa was educated in Spain and  has diplomas.. from Mexico and Spain The Spanish therapists are very good , just lke the French or the Belgium ones.. Can you tell us about the Norwegian ones?

Jorge is a Physiotherapist  not a Massage Therapist. Big difference in qualification and fee structure.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Because they will work for "gringo" wages?????

No, not at all but because the massage education is much different (better) in most places in the US and there are certification standards unlike here.  When I first moved to Mexico I was interested in teaching advanced massage techniques to Mexicans massage people to advance their skills and enable them to make more money.  What I found that was so discouraging was the appalling lack of education of anatomy, contraindications for some types of massage, etc.  I wasn't interested in teaching beginning anatomy but rather technique that would make their skills more valuable to a client.  Many of them do a decent job for what they have trained for (la la massage) and others have advanced their skills on their own.  But therapeutic or deep tissue doesn't seem to be taught in the schools here.

As long as I've known and used Lupe [3 times/week] he has not worked Saturdays because he goes into Guadalajara for classes to learn more. He does me lala at my request and therapeutic when I need that which is right now and thanks to him after a couple of sessions I am walking much better again. So Yo1,I suggest that you know very little about the good Mexican MT's to make such broad negative statements about them.

Just now, bmh said:

correct happyjillin physiotherapist study for 4 years after graduatung from hghschool s specialized school and are part of the approved medecine/ treatments in Europe  when therapeutic massage are not paid for.

I am one of his patients from time to time and therapeutic massage is only one of the things he does. In Spain he was a trainer for a pro soccer team.

Although I use a different massage therapist now, I did have Lupe for many years and also recall that each Saturday he went to GDL to further his education.  He is a wonderful therapist and has many skills.

Cheers,

Val Jones  :)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, happyjillin said:

As long as I've known and used Lupe [3 times/week] he has not worked Saturdays because he goes into Guadalajara for classes to learn more. He does me lala at my request and therapeutic when I need that which is right now and thanks to him after a couple of sessions I am walking much better again. So Yo1,I suggest that you know very little about the good Mexican MT's to make such broad negative statements about them.

I still stand by my statement:  Without additional training in deep tissue or therapeutic massage all they know and have been taught is la la massage.  You admit that  Lupe attends additional classes.  You need to read my response a little closer and don't jump to conclusions.

9 hours ago, bmh said:

correct happyjillin physiotherapist study for 4 years after graduatung from hghschool s specialized school and are part of the approved medecine/ treatments in Europe  when therapeutic massage are not paid for.

Physiotherapists are different than massage therapists here and in the US.  You can't compare the training.  And Lupe trained in
Spain so your response makes no sense.

• Sad 1

Jorge was mentioned above and I have used him for a couple of difficult issues and can't recommend him highly enough. Trained in Spain and Mexico and has always exceeded my expectations. He definitely knows anatomy and works closely with a number of doctors including some of the best orthopedist in the area.

In one case recently I was not responding as expected to deep therapeutic massage. After a couple of sessions he said that there was nothing more that he could do but made very specific recommendations and was very clear about what information I should share with the doctor he recommended - one of the orthopedist mentioned above.

Great outcome and I personally wouldn't consider anyone else for something beyond just a simple spa type massage.

https://www.ulloapt.com/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yo1 said:

I still stand by my statement:  Without additional training in deep tissue or therapeutic massage all they know and have been taught is la la massage.  You admit that  Lupe attends additional classes.  You need to read my response a little closer and don't jump to conclusions.

Physiotherapists are different than massage therapists here and in the US.  You can't compare the training.  And Lupe trained in
Spain so your response makes no sense.

Lupe was not trained in Spain but in Guadalajara as I said and is a MASSAGE THERAPIST and my response to your unsubstantiated negativity makes a lot of sense.

9 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Lupe was not trained in Spain but in Guadalajara as I said and is a MASSAGE THERAPIST and my response to your unsubstantiated negativity makes a lot of sense.

Sorry--when you posted that he was in Spain as a pro athlete trainer I thought you were implying he was trained in Spain.

I will not yield on my statement that Mexican massage therapists are trained for la la massage and without additional training are not qualified to do any other kind of massage.  They can certainly get additional training in Guadalajara but it is post "graduate" education.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

Sorry--when you posted that he was in Spain as a pro athlete trainer I thought you were implying he was trained in Spain.

I will not yield on my statement that Mexican massage therapists are trained for la la massage and without additional training are not qualified to do any other kind of massage.  They can certainly get additional training in Guadalajara but it is post "graduate" education.

I said Jorge was a trainer for a Spanish soccer team not Lupe. Have you actually been and observed  any schools for massage therapists in Mexico? You seem to be rather confused,so much so that your unsubstantiated  statement has no relevance and is an insult to the many qualified Mexican MASSAGE THERAPISTS and is quite detrimental to the OP's search and any others looking for same. 

• Thanks 1

Jorge Ulloa is highly regarded at Lakeside. He's a physical therapist educated and trained in Spain, where he grew up, and has had his Lakeside practice for a number of years in Riberas. He does massages, I'm assuming therapeudic. (They were for me.) His receptionist is his Mexican wife. Both speak fluent English.  Call 108 1532.

Lexy

• Like 1

I just received a therapeutic massage from Jorge Wednesday and I am going to him to work on my shoulder that was operated on 3 months ago. My surgeon highly recommended Jorge who was trained in Spain  and Mexico as happyjillin said. My husband has been seeing him for therapy on his hip- He is excellent.

Yo1 I do not see why you find this confusing.

• Thanks 2