Chapala.com Webboard

Cost Of Living Lakeside

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

And the average laborer Mexican's wage has not gone up

Kyle, when Mexico's current president took office on December 1, 2018, one of the very first things he did was raise the minimum wage, which at the end of 2018, was 80 pesos per day, everywhere in Mexico.  Up until AMLO took office, annual raises in the minimum wage had been approximately 4 pesos. 

In the area near the USA border, AMLO doubled the minimum wage, to 176 pesos.  In other parts of the country, the raise was about 25 pesos.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, More Liana said:

Kyle, when Mexico's current president took office on December 1, 2018, one of the very first things he did was raise the minimum wage, which at the end of 2018, was 80 pesos per day, everywhere in Mexico.  Up until AMLO took office, annual raises in the minimum wage had been approximately 4 pesos. 

In the area near the USA border, AMLO doubled the minimum wage, to 176 pesos.  In other parts of the country, the raise was about 25 pesos.  

2018 minumum daily wage was $88.68 until Dec. 18, 2018. ALMO raised it to $102.68. $14.00 pesos more. 13.5 percent. In the free zone of the border it was $88.68 and he doubled it to $176.72.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

And the average laborer Mexican's wage has not gone up

That's not my experience. When I first started living in Sayulita, 17 years ago, the going rate for a gardener or a cleaner or a general laborer was 50 pesos/hr. That slowly increased to 60, then 70, and now it's $100. Personally, I have no complaints about that- it costs them just as much to gas up their car, pay their electric bills, and buy basic foodstuffs as it costs us. 

Wages likely haven't increased that dramatically though in areas of the country which aren't touristy or ex-pat draws. I wouldn't imagine a lowly tomato picker gets paid more than the mandated Mexican minimum daily wage.

4 hours ago, Heem said:

I Would not refer to the tomato picker as lowly. They provided food for my table today. I greatly appreciate them.

I wasn't referring to their value to society, but to their position on the wage scale. I worked several seasons as a fruit picker in Canada, which included crawling around in the hot sun picking tomatoes. It's not just a job for Mexicans. It's hard work, and greatly undervalued.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xena said:

The reason more people do not move to the south side of the lake is it is a completely different life style from here. The ones who successfully make the move want to get away from what is drawing so many people here. It is an entirely different experience.

Agree agree. When we moved here 11 yrs ago, we had no idea what we were getting into. The truth is we didn't think it through. The thing that helped the most were expats who answered our questions and guided us along. There were even some Mexicans who helped us and very patient with the language barrier,     So we grew to understand and participate here at the north shore. So I can see why some people hesitate to go to the south shore. At this point, I don't know if I really want a different life style. ( I admit, I don't know what that means) 

Now for those complaining and sometimes down right nasty (expats) poor victims!  They may not have the finances to move back north where things are SOOO much better. So the frustration gets projected on to people and places here. I try not to associate with these people and will ignore them unless I am witnessing an inappropriate  confrontation.  On a few occasions, I have returned and apologized to the one unjustly attacked. And yes I have addressed this with the offender.  

• Like 4

It is all relevant to where you came from before discovering this Paradise. If you came from San Francisco or  New York City...FURGETABOUTIT!!! If from a small town in mid America, financially you are doing better but maybe not that much. And also don't forget there are many folks here from around the world with a variety of backgrounds and financial conditions. I have run into Brits, Aussies, Scandinavians and even Bermudians from the tiny island of Bermuda where I grew up and still have family. In fact to put a fine point on it, in talking to my brother the other day he told me what his monthly electric bill averages during the scorching summer months there (running AC 24/7); about the same as my monthly rent for a lovely large lakefront home in SAT!!! 

• Like 1