Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone have the new Telmex fiber optic internet?

geeser

We have had an offer from Telmex to install the fiber optic internet to a group of houses. The install will have to be paid up front and is expensive. After 20+ years I just don't trust Telmex to deliver the "up to"  30,000 mbs they promise. I think their ads should include an "at least" figure. Does anyone have this Fiber Optic from Telmex and what is your speed experience and outage history?  Also do they throttle your speed after a couple of weeks of streaming?

Question:  Does Telmex string the cable directly to your house, or is it just strung in the neighborhood.  The lady at Telmex just the other day, said that the fibre optic cable is not strung to individual houses, just down your street - which is true on my street.  But I have seen no improvement in my  internet speed.  Thanks!

37 minutes ago, CalGal said:

Question:  Does Telmex string the cable directly to your house, or is it just strung in the neighborhood.  The lady at Telmex just the other day, said that the fibre optic cable is not strung to individual houses, just down your street - which is true on my street.  But I have seen no improvement in my  internet speed.  Thanks!

Telmex ran new fiber cable from the telephone pedestal into the house, and then connected it all up to the new fiber optic modem/router.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CalGal said:

They have stated that it will run into the homes that are ready (have polyducto to the location where the FO will terminate). Must be no short radius turns.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, GAP092049 said:

We got Telmex fiberoptics this summer. We had some initial problems but after a call to Mexico City it has been great. Paying for 40 and tonight when I checked it was 91 download and 29.5 up load.

Is that wifi in the home or an ethernet cable to the modem?

SunFan

In lower Chula Vista, apparently the fibre is strung, but only connected to a few places. My friend's place saw the speed go from 5 to 10 down a couple of months ago. Then from 10 to 20. And a week or so ago, to 40, 60, then 77, and variations thereof. I asked my fibre expert (my Son at Bell Canada) and he confirmed that the higher speed coming via the fibre can easily be translated to higher speeds on standard VDSL modems, with no physical changes required, no fibre to the home, no fibre modem.

Which raises an interesting question: should anyone have to pay for fibre to the home if it's already providing faster speeds, with no physical updates, and no up-front fees, and no extra monthly charges? My friend is still paying the basic $399 p.

When Telmex installed over 5 years ago on my street in GDL and at my sister's house in Bugambillas there was no charge to change to the new modem in the houses. They brought the new cable into the house using the existing hoses. 

When they installed at the box a few blocks from my house here the speed went up. I still have the old wiring in the house and the old modem.

I just checked and it's 19+ down and 5+ up. 

The cost of service is unchanged. I pay $389 a month. Same cost for over 5 years

9 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

SNIP.......

I asked my fibre expert (my Son at Bell Canada) and he confirmed that the higher speed coming via the fibre can easily be translated to higher speeds on standard VDSL modems, with no physical changes required, no fibre to the home, no fibre modem.

CG, the (only) way for that to be the case is that they are running fiber out to the 'neighborhood' DSLAM box, and then 'existing' copper into the home. This is of course how it's been done NOB for a long time. 

Cable was put into the neighborhood, then later put into the house with a new modem . I pay for 10m , I was getting 1 down. I took a speed test to the office and complained and went to 6 down . Another test and another complaint. I am now getting what I pay for.

31 minutes ago, RickS said:

CG, the (only) way for that to be the case is that they are running fiber out to the 'neighborhood' DSLAM box, and then 'existing' copper into the home. This is of course how it's been done NOB for a long time.

Absolutely correct. But my point being, TelMex is running around to fraccs and offering to run fibre for a massive upfront fee, when they know they can just go the easy way and let the customer benefit without the expense. (I try to avoid the technical details, like using the term DSLAM and other network info, in these comments to make it easier for the non-techies among us.)

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Absolutely correct. But my point being, TelMex is running around to fraccs and offering to run fibre for a massive upfront fee, when they know they can just go the easy way and let the customer benefit without the expense. (I try to avoid the technical details, like using the term DSLAM and other network info, in these comments to make it easier for the non-techies among us.)

Believe me, the fee that Telmex charged our community was not "massive" in any way. It was less expensive than iLox with zero headaches. 

Looking for internet info for Lower La Floresta near the so-called first round about.  Las Canoas and La Pesca near Jardin Del Arte,  La Floresta . Moving in Jan 1 and need advise. Want speed!

5 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Believe me, the fee that Telmex charged our community was not "massive" in any way. It was less expensive than iLox with zero headaches. 

Then tell us about it. Because the first fracc that I had experience with was on the libramiento, and not only did they pay a big chunk up front, they will be paying extra every month in their condo fees for the next four years. Please remember that I don't post things here without knowing them for sure... generally speaking. I have made mistakes.

The next one was a fracc west of town. Now there is one in south Riberas telling me the same.

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Then tell us about it. Because the first fracc that I had experience with was on the libramiento, and not only did they pay a big chunk up front, they will be paying extra every month in their condo fees for the next four years. Please remember that I don't post things here without knowing them for sure... generally speaking. I have made mistakes.

The next one was a fracc west of town. Now there is one in south Riberas telling me the same.

Well, each development negotiates its own cost... Depending on the number of houses and existing infrastructure, among other things. However, I can say with confidence that the fracc on the libramiento and my development are as different as chalk and cheese.