Chapala.com Webboard

Where can I fax to the US?

I think it means "factually similar" and I'm too lazy to look it up. Basically, you use a "fax" machine that takes your document and sends its contents digitally to wherever you want it to go and it's usually sent because a "real" signature that can be authenticated is required. In many cases a scanned document of the same can be sent as an e-mail attachment in PDF and will suffice. However, depending on the circumstances and/or the requirements of the entity requesting such documentation, you send 'em what they want but that's how it was done before everyone had computers and internet connections. Beat the heck out of Fedex and/or snail mail. Times change.

If your printer has a scanner, there are several programs that allow you to fax from your computer. Generally they are not free but offer 3 or 4 free faxes before you have to pay. Google 'on-line fax program'. I can't remember which one I used, but it was fairly simple.

• Like 1

Facsimile comes from two Latin roots: facere, meaning "to make," and simile, meaning "like." Fax machines are so called because they copy and transmit facsimiles of documents, or faxes for short, over phone lines.

• Like 1

If you don't have a scanner with your printer at home, or even if you do, a very inexpensive app called Tiny Scanner is a must have for your phone. You use it to take a picture of a document which is then turned into a pdf file which you then send to whomever wants it. I have used it numerous times for real estate, insurance and verification of military service (DD-214). Unlike a fax which just gets printed on a sheet of paper, this gives the recipient an actual file document to retain if needed. I think I paid like $5 US for the app and have used it numerous times with 100% acceptance. Check Google Play or the iPhone app store.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Ferret said:

I think it means "factually similar" and I'm too lazy to look it up. Basically, you use a "fax" machine that takes your document and sends its contents digitally to wherever you want it to go and it's usually sent because a "real" signature that can be authenticated is required. In many cases a scanned document of the same can be sent as an e-mail attachment in PDF and will suffice. However, depending on the circumstances and/or the requirements of the entity requesting such documentation, you send 'em what they want but that's how it was done before everyone had computers and internet connections. Beat the heck out of Fedex and/or snail mail. Times change.

However the medical system in Canada still operates on faxes...someone should tell them about encrypted pdf.

3 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

If you don't have a scanner with your printer at home, or even if you do, a very inexpensive app called Tiny Scanner is a must have for your phone. You use it to take a picture of a document which is then turned into a pdf file which you then send to whomever wants it. I have used it numerous times for real estate, insurance and verification of military service (DD-214). Unlike a fax which just gets printed on a sheet of paper, this gives the recipient an actual file document to retain if needed. I think I paid like $5 US for the app and have used it numerous times with 100% acceptance. Check Google Play or the iPhone app store.

That is good to know as my fax machine has packed it in.