Chapala.com Webboard

Help selling motor home with South Dakota plates which are expired

Mobell

Back again with same problem. I cannot travel to border myself. Husband bedridden. Is it possible if I sell to a US citizen they can drive it north without me? It is a 2005 Ford Gulfstream BT Cruiser. It has been stored beside our home since 2009 and hasn't been driven much at all. It's blue book is over 30,000 US. Purchased in 2006. Mileage when purchased 5,630 miles. Battery needs recharging so can't read mileage now. Will post that later.

If it has been sitting that long the tires are probably rotted, the battery is failed and it will need general reconditioning before making that long trip over rough roads.  Also it's vehicle permit for Mexico is expired.  My advice is to sell it dirt cheap to a Mexican who knows how to fix it and also get around the legal status problem.  You aren't going to get anything near to Bluebook price for it.  It basically is salvage at this point.

• Like 2

I looked that one up. A very nice motorhome, fiberglass shell. It will be a difficult decision. If someone in Mexico were to buy it, they would probably not drive it at all. They would anchor to a private property, to be lived in by a resident gatekeeper, or move it to the beach and build a palapa around it.

Or for someone to live in while their new home is being built. Or it can be sold and towed to Roca Azul in Jocotepec.

However there is more than one model of this motorhome, which model is it? Read the first PDF in the second link of this google search...

https://www.google.com.mx/search?source=hp&ei=oIjhXejjDo_IsQXxiJSYDg&q=2005+Ford+Gulfstream+BT+cruiser&oq=2005+Ford+Gulfstream+BT+cruiser&gs_l=psy-ab.12..33i22i29i30l10.4011.28009..78480...1.0..0.142.3531.7j25......0....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i22i30j0i22i10i30.fb_w8aFgotM&ved=0ahUKEwjos_z3qZDmAhUPZKwKHXEEBeMQ4dUDCAk

Be careful about taking some of these recommendations, ever how well meaning...

A vehicle, including a Motorhome, that is US titled/plated  and has a Mexican Temporary Import Permit (TIP).... even if that TIP is expired.... CANNOT be sold to anyone who does not have the intent of removing the vehicle from Mexico post haste. Since the TIP has expired one can get it out of Mexico legally by getting a SAT document called Seguro Retorno... Safe Return. That document can be written so as to allow someone else, who is either a Tourist or a Temporal, to drive or otherwise take the vehicle to the border within 5-6 working days after procurement from SAT.  A local attorney who frequents this Board can arrange that for a small fee.

Ditto the remark that was made about the 'value' of that Motorhome since it has basically sat for 10 years. MANY things can happen to any vehicle that has sat for that long, especially a Motorhome. Tires and battery would be just starting what could have and probably has gone south. IMO it would be worth less than wholesale as everything in it could be/probably is not in very good working condition if at all. And then there's 'rodents' chewing everything they can get their teeth on. They LOVE electrical wiring and bed/couch mattresses and a Motorhome is full of that stuff.

P.S.  Be careful. Unless that vehicle is taken to the border and the TIP cancelled, Mexico still considers it here and YOURS with all the liability that may go along with that.  The last thing I would do is trust anyone who says that they can 'do it legally' any other way than what the law requires you to do and that is remove it from Mexico.

EDIT: Cross-posted with Toyhauler above. He can possibly help and is very reputable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I am sure there are squads of RV TIP inspectors roaming the country. The biggest problem with old RVs is the floor rotting out, with termites, and other bugs and vermin finding egress. Liability is handled by removing the plates and a lawyer drafted letter. Large tow trucks can make a tow and cover with their insurance. Maybe with the rental market as strong as some people say, maybe you can rent it out as a holiday/budget place on the beach. Look to Barra de Navidad, and Baja, as a precedent.

Just trying to help.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Just trying to help.

By suggesting that she break Mexican law.  Can you quote a law that says that "Liability is handled by removing the plates and...."  Por favor don't try and help me with recommendations. I don't care how long you've lived here and how many Mexican friends you have. IMO this lady does NOT need more problems than she already has....

I agree that there are no 'Squads of RV Tip Inspectors' roaming the country but thanks for clearing that up for us.  Hell the government can't even fix potholes!

Tow it down to the malecon in Ajijic and rent it out Airbnb with lake and mountain views. 

If someone runs you off, tow it over to Joco and park it in the parking lot of the local nocturno centro to rent by the hour. 

If someone runs you off from there, post an ad on Borderland Beat, mobile meth lab for sale in the Jalisco section.  No one will run you off.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, RickS said:

Can you quote a law that says that "Liability is handled by removing the plates and...."  

That is just plain ignorant. This recommendation was from a Customs/Aduana employee in Mexico City (CDMX) who even offered to email the Spanish form. Our local legal eagle suggested that this might not be airtight, and by the way, he is now unable to obtain the Returno documents you refer to. Some lawyers think get a court date and the adversary/ victim will crumble and settle. One of my lawyers in Canada thinks that way and he is highly successful litigator/negotiator. Same as our family lawyer in Puerto Vallarta, but he also has the advantage of political connections and a brother who is a Federal Prosecutor. You seem to have very limited knowlege about how legal systems normally work around the world.

• Sad 3

First of all chillin, why is it important to you to call me ignorant?  Make you feel good? Make you feel superior.

Second, you are correct that I do NOT know how legal systems work around the world! Never claimed I did.  Most don't but you seem to claim that knowledge. Also I don't know how that is relevant to this discussion. Good for you if you do but por favor refrain from calling those of us who do not, ignorant. Por favor.

Thirdly, all of this is about a gringa here who is probably already in over her head and has an ill husband to boot. Now some want her to step off into the legal world of Mexico needing 'connections' and hope for the best. I am NOT among those who would wish that upon her in a hundred years and would hope that she can get a resolution without  all of that hocus pocus. She seemingly also needs some help understanding the situation with a motorhome that has not moved in 9 years but I'm betting it would be best for her to remove it 'legally'.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, RickS said:

First of all chillin, why is it important to you to call me ignorant?  Make you feel good? 

Sorry you are offended RickS, I was using ignorant in its literal and proper meaning. I am not saying you are stupid or dumb, but just there are certain areas where you lack experience or knowlege. I have knowlege of the Mexican legal system through extensive talks, maybe even a bit of friendship, with our Mexican lawyer over the many years he worked for our family, once for a successful litigation and judgment, the successful defense of four appeals. He knows I am interested in law, and the specialty of conflict of laws, which some people call private international law.

• Sad 3

On 11/29/2019 at 12:39 PM, Mobell said:

Back again with same problem. I cannot travel to border myself. Husband bedridden. Is it possible if I sell to a US citizen they can drive it north without me? It is a 2005 Ford Gulfstream BT Cruiser. It has been stored beside our home since 2009 and hasn't been driven much at all. It's blue book is over 30,000 US. Purchased in 2006. Mileage when purchased 5,630 miles. Battery needs recharging so can't read mileage now. Will post that later.

What did you do with the motor home?

On 11/30/2019 at 10:39 AM, CHILLIN said:

That is just plain ignorant. This recommendation was from a Customs/Aduana employee in Mexico City (CDMX) who even offered to email the Spanish form. Our local legal eagle suggested that this might not be airtight, and by the way, he is now unable to obtain the Returno documents you refer to. Some lawyers think get a court date and the adversary/ victim will crumble and settle. One of my lawyers in Canada thinks that way and he is highly successful litigator/negotiator. Same as our family lawyer in Puerto Vallarta, but he also has the advantage of political connections and a brother who is a Federal Prosecutor. You seem to have very limited knowlege about how legal systems normally work around the world.

Maybe you should change 'legal eagles'.... just talked to Spencer this morning and he says he can get me one right now!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...