Chapala.com Webboard

Cabezas

slainte39

I hope this thread can last as information before those whose like this particular item gets blasted for discussing it,

I am another who really enjoys this plato fuerte when properly prepared.  Usually prepared at home and heads are easily purchased at the Abastos in GDL.  I have heard that there are some birria places in Jocotepec that have or will prepare this dish.

Maybe Fred H., who lives out that way can check it out..Whenever I get the desire for my favorite tacos, "tacos de sesos" (brain tacos"), I go out to Don Emilios in Jocotepec.  Next time I´m out there I will check with them but they are strictly a taco place and not a sit down to a plato fuerte comida.

For God´s sake no one is going to force anyone to eat anything they don´t like but at least have the courtesy to allow others to eat what they like and want to discuss.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, slainte39 said:

I hope this thread can last as information before those whose like this particular item gets blasted for discussing it,

I am another who really enjoys this plato fuerte when properly prepared.  Usually prepared at home and heads are easily purchased at the Abastos in GDL.  I have heard that there are some birria places in Jocotepec that have or will prepare this dish.

Maybe Fred H., who lives out that way can check it out..Whenever I get the desire for my favorite tacos, "tacos de sesos" (brain tacos"), I go out to Don Emilios in Jocotepec.  Next time I´m out there I will check with them but they are strictly a taco place and not a sit down to a plato fuerte comida.

For God´s sake no one is going to force anyone to eat anything they don´t like but at least have the courtesy to allow others to eat what they like and want to discuss.

Excellent post. Shall I repost the picture of one and ask where this dish is served around the Chapala area and hope a thread ruiner[sic] won't jump in again. The butcher on the northwest corner of the Chapala Mercado sells whole goats including the head. I have seen pig heads at Soriana but I don't know what dish they would be used for. I need to find a place that I can get close to as I am an invalid but not invalid.

bought the leg off this goat at chapala mercado.jpg

Gringal, I would like to present Exhibit A, your post above as why threads sometimes turn to dissing you. You had your say about the topic of this thread in the previous one. Someone who wanted to continue the discussion about the original topic reposted the subject. You could have bypassed the thread, you could have read the OP and went somewhere else. But you chose to jump in with both feet, fists swinging, demanding an explanation that would (if responded to) bring and keep YOU front and center once again.  And, we are off into another thread all about you and your bruised feelings instead of the more pleasant subject of bloody, skinned animal carcasses. That is all I have to say. I will not be responding to this thread any further.

• Thanks 4

While brains aren't on many menus here or in the US, other obscure cheap meats and offal became trendy and expensive after being featured by TV chefs. 

I remember when oxtails, short ribs and sweetbreads were inexpensive at butcher shops (they weren't even for sale at chain grocers).   Whether it was Julia Child showcasing sweetbreads or Mario Batali and Bobby Flay featuring oxtails and short ribs, the prices of these items soared after people learned you could actually eat them.  

Maybe brains are the next short ribs....all they need is a chef to highlight them on Food Network or PBS.  

I like the idea of using the entire animal, rather than wasting any parts of it.  

• Like 1

The brain taco at  don Emilio's in Jocotepec look absolutely delicious slainte39. Is it easy to park near him during the week? For Bisbee Gal. Brains done as food in Europe and other cultures for centuries. I have a European background and have eaten this treat for over 75 years long before I learned to cook them myself. We always had a Christmas goose and I  can remember my brother and I before the age of 5 fighting over the goose brain. Sweetbreads are from the thymus gland and I have done these breaded. They have a similar flavour and consistency to brains. Picture is a brain taco from don Emilio's

brain taco don emilio,jocotepec.jpg

@happyjillin...many folks think sweetbreads are brains!  It is a fairly common misconception, at least in the US.

I was raised by poor immigrants and we ate head-cheese (pork) which I think included all the innards of pig's head, but do not recall eating brains solo.  

Locally, the sweetbreads at Ajijic Tango are quite good.  

1 minute ago, Bisbee Gal said:

@happyjillin...many folks think sweetbreads are brains!  It is a fairly common misconception, at least in the US.

I was raised by poor immigrants and we ate head-cheese (pork) which I think included all the innards of pig's head, but do not recall eating brains solo.  

Head cheese is available in most ethnic delis in larger cities in Canada and has been  fashionable for many years but I had it in my youth too. never liked it but I really like blood and tongue.

Blood-and-Toungue.jpg

39 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

How does Tango do them?

8 hours ago, happyjillin said:

. I have seen pig heads at Soriana but I don't know what dish they would be used for.

Pig heads are traditionally used to make Pozole. The cheeks alone are often substituted, if you can find them. My ex-cholo friend who lived in Wisconsin, used to buy pig heads from the slaughterhouse for $5 U.S. each and make a feast. With the spread of Latinx all across the USA, I doubt if that is true anymore. Same with tripe for Menudo.

5 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Head cheese is available in most ethnic delis in larger cities in Canada and has been  fashionable for many years but I had it in my youth too. never liked it but I really like blood and tongue.

Blood-and-Toungue.jpg

See the lovely caul fat casing. There is an Italian meat like this, but the name escapes me right now. Cotachino?

12 hours ago, gringal said:

From the "thread ruiner":  Ruiner because of??

Slainte: "For God´s sake no one is going to force anyone to eat anything they don´t like but at least have the courtesy to allow others to eat what they like and want to discuss."

Would you please back this statement up by quoting my words suggesting that I am in favor of "forcing" anyone to do anything or not "allowing" anything.  Was I "allowed" to give my negative opinion of the dish without people jumping down my throat?  NO.  That simple. Why this developed into a personal dissing, I frankly do not know.

happyjillin reacted to this
  •  

You'r back!!! I thought that you said Adios, Au Revoir, Soyonara, Aloha, Goodby, Cheerio and left us back on the last post regarding this subject. Maybe I converted you to try the tongue (lengua) tacos. WELCOME ABOARD!!! 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gringal said:

From the "thread ruiner":  Ruiner because of??

Slainte: "For God´s sake no one is going to force anyone to eat anything they don´t like but at least have the courtesy to allow others to eat what they like and want to discuss."

Would you please back this statement up by quoting my words suggesting that I am in favor of "forcing" anyone to do anything or not "allowing" anything.  Was I "allowed" to give my negative opinion of the dish without people jumping down my throat?  NO.  That simple. Why this developed into a personal dissing, I frankly do not know.

happyjillin reacted to this
  •  

I tried to restart this thread with information after you got the last one shut down, now here you come again.  You just can´t leave well enough alone.  SAD !!!

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Are you thinking of capocollo?

The capocollo meat  is not anywhere near blood and tongue and is actually dry cured neck meat I believe. That kind of natural casing is used for many varieties of sausage and unsliced cold cuts but the most used natural casing is pork intestine as in this Italian cotechino sausage. It's impossible to tell what kind of sausage/coldcut it is by going by the casing

edit:Second pic is capocollo

cotechino.jpg

Capocollo.jpg

11 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Are you thinking of capocollo?

No, it is Cotechino. Ground pork, spices, fatback and diced pork skin. This sausage is unusual for Italian, because it must be steamed to be fit to eat.

Looks like they are building a tunnel under Happy's house, that must be making him happy! Looks deep enough to accomodate one of Elon Musk's boring tunnels. Chapala to Jocotepec in five minutes.

image.thumb.png.2ad9a569021b5a05d9e4f0014dfe2b01.png
The butchers at this Mexico City market stand added a handful of alfalfa to this cabeza de puerco.  As someone mentioned, the pig head is the basis of the broth for pozole.  Once it's cooked, the head is sliced up.  A bowl of pozole can contain maciza (all leg meat), cabeza (sliced meat from the head), or surtido (a combination of slices of leg meat, cachete (cheeks), nose, ears,  and tongue).  You can ask your server for the kind of meat you prefer.  I used to love to go eat pozole at Cenaduría Elba in Chapala--IMHO the best at Lakeside. 

• Like 1

I have been at the cabrito cafe on the east side of Jocotepec plaza when people have requested the goat brains in their birria.  The man got a goat skull and knocked on it several times and the brains came out into the persons birria.  Forget the name of the cafe but their is usually an older man the owner sitting there supervising things.  I go there quite often for birria.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I have been at the cabrito cafe on the east side of Jocotepec plaza when people have requested the goat brains in their birria.  The man got a goat skull and knocked on it several times and the brains came out into the persons birria.  Forget the name of the cafe but their is usually an older man the owner sitting there supervising things.  I go there quite often for birria.

That sounds real tasty!  But like in the other thread,I really would like to find a place that serves the half goat head because of all the tasty parts.

CABEZA DE CORDERO AL HORNO 020 (6) - copia - copia.JPG

33 minutes ago, bmh said:

ofal meat is very popular in France in the country and at the top restaurants.Most great chefs I know, love ofals..   I personally do not care for them but many food lovers  eat them and enjoy them.. Same in China..

Just be aware in China...many domestic animals that are pets in the West are on the menu there. Many restaurants keep them in cages in front of the restaurant so you can pick out your own. Dogs, cats, snakes, parakeets, monkeys and of course all kinds of fish. Not for the faint hearted.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lily H said:

During my 15 - 20 times I went to China, I failed to see what you stated. I have no idea why you think your uneducated opinions are facts.

My wife and I were in China for 2 weeks while she was working. We were in Shenzhen and dined frequently with the co-workers in the office she was working with. We experienced everything I referenced plus much more that I will not graphically describe. Good for you that you must have been in areas catering to tourists. I'm sure a guided tour group would steer clear of those places.

How about"Wild dog". 85 rmb

"Best parts of wild dog". 120 rmb

But you were expected to select your dog from the cages in front.

You're the one who doesn't know what you are talking about.

I was the only one slack jawed. My wife had spent 2 years in the Peace Corps in the Phillipines in the 60's. Nothing new here she said.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had car meat n France after the war and we stll eat horse meat, snails and just about anything.. We do not know how to prepare dogmeat so I guess that will not ever happen especially now but my parents had dog meat during the war and did not like it..so Yes dogs are eaten in Korea Vietnam and China and probably a lot more places.. I lived above Chinatown in San Francisco and my housekeeper did not speak a word of English I shopped in Chinatown everyday and saw plenty of species being sold that are totally illegal..  When many Vietnamese arrived in San Francisco the dogs and wild life was disappearing big time in Golden Gate Park..

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bmh said:

I had car meat n France after the war and we stll eat horse meat, snails and just about anything.. We do not know how to prepare dogmeat so I guess that will not ever happen especially now but my parents had dog meat during the war and did not like it..so Yes dogs are eaten in Korea Vietnam and China and probably a lot more places.. I lived above Chinatown in San Francisco and my housekeeper did not speak a word of English I shopped in Chinatown everyday and saw plenty of species being sold that are totally illegal..  When many Vietnamese arrived in San Francisco the dogs and wild life was disappearing big time in Golden Gate Park..

Yup!