Chapala.com Webboard

When can we expect the best San Andre's castillo and fireworks?

Mainecoons

4 hours ago, desafinada said:

According to the schedule, tonight (28-11) is the construction workers sponsorship and Sat eve is the expat community.  In past years, they have both been a delight.  Last year we noticed the food stalls opening later, closer to 8 than 7 pm. 

The last night of the fiesta has always been supported by the Absent Sons, meaning Mexicans living mostly in the USA who send contributions to their families here for the fiesta and hopefully are able to visit for the occasion.  I have never heard of foreigners here contributing to that night.  The expat attendance and interest at the fiestas almost nil, and I say that as a fiesta-head from 12 years ago.  I used to post fotos and videos to Webhsots.com which removed its public viewing around 7 years ago, so sorry I can't post links to how fun the fiestas used to be.

Things have changed.  The SemanarioLaguna reported that there has been diminishing contributions from all groups.  But show up around 10PM, you are sure to find something fun to do.

• Like 2

The fiestas and gremios are all part of the Catholic church and most foreigners are not Catholic and do not attend the Catholic church.. The fiesta is a fiesta Patronal... hence Catholic for the day of San Andres , the foreigners have nothing to do with it..

Maybe someone translating the hijos de Ajijic called the Mexicans living in the US " the expats"

• Like 1

The name of Ajijic's patron saint is ANDRÉS.  St. Andrew, in English. 

I keep seeing the erroneous name posted here on Chapala.com.  San Andreas is a fault line and a movie, but there is no such saint name.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, More Liana said:

The name of Ajijic's patron saint is ANDRÉS.  St. Andrew, in English. 

I keep seeing the erroneous name posted here on Chapala.com.  San Andreas is a fault line and a movie, but there is no such saint name.

Thank you.  The use of Andreas instead if Andrés bugs me, especially by people who have lived here for some time.  But so do all the variations on libramiento and carretera.  And I wish Mexicans, including the federal government, would learn the difference between riberas and riveras.  

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bdlngton said:

Thank you.  The use of Andreas instead if Andrés bugs me, especially by people who have lived here for some time.  But so do all the variations on libramiento and carretera.  And I wish Mexicans, including the federal government, would learn the difference between riberas and riveras.  

You mean like Libra  men to    care ret tera   san ur e ta    AAA  gee geek   Actually some of it is because we come from different places with accents   i.e.  Coffee     NJ= cough fee

16 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Whoops, guilty as charged and even worse because I knew this.

Chalk it up to a senior moment.  :D 

Title corrected.

SAN ANDRE´S

Then get rid of that apostrophe, only allowed in Irish and African-American names, never in Hispanic ones……..LOL

try  SAN ANDRÉS

St. Andrew the Apostle, besides being the patron saint of Ajijic is also the patron saint of Scotland. In Gaelic, Andrew is Aindréas, but it is pronounced like ahn-dray-us, so that maybe is where this Andreas business comes from. (early Irish and Scot immigrants to Mexican Alta California)  I think he might also be the patron saint of Russia, but I don´t know how they pronounce it. Have to ask Vladimir Putin.

Andreas is André in German so it is the same and Russian is phonetic .. so in the end it is all the same guy..The guy was born in what is now Israel and died in Greece so why are you bringing the Celt, the Russians or anyone else s in this one? Now how to you say Andres in  whatever they spoke in those days in Israel?

9 hours ago, slainte39 said:

SAN ANDRE´S

Then get rid of that apostrophe, only allowed in Irish and African-American names, never in Hispanic ones……..LOL

try  SAN ANDRÉS

St. Andrew the Apostle, besides being the patron saint of Ajijic is also the patron saint of Scotland. In Gaelic, Andrew is Aindréas, but it is pronounced like ahn-dray-us, so that maybe is where this Andreas business comes from. (early Irish and Scot immigrants to Mexican Alta California)  I think he might also be the patron saint of Russia, but I don´t know how they pronounce it. Have to ask Vladimir Putin.

Really, Mainecoons.  *sigh*

9 hours ago, slainte39 said:

SAN ANDRE´S

try  SAN ANDRÉS

Ummm...Juan O'Gorman, anyone?  (I guess his papá was born in Ireland, though...)

5 hours ago, More Liana said:

Ummm...Juan O'Gorman, anyone?  (I guess his papá was born in Ireland, though...)

You´re right, I said Hispanic names.  O´Gorman is slightly Irish.:D

I know all about being Mexican with an Irish appellido,  The last Presidente of Jocotepec was Juan O´Shea.  We do get around.

• Like 1