Chapala.com Webboard

Do you have a VPN service?

MexLuis

24 minutes ago, Youngtimer said:

I have Nord VPN No problems and same pro's as above plus more security.

You can set it to city specific and individual server specific.

I just set mine for Chicago since I am from Illinois and still do online business/banking there.

Another vote for Nord VPN

SunFan

Windscribe is the one I currently recommend, after testing many. It offers something called WindFlix, a direct connection to US Netflix. It is also a good value. In terms of security and privacy, they are pretty much all the same... but the good news is that NordVPNs over-active imagination in their advertising about "staying safe" is way out of proportion.

I tried Express VPN but with our "barely there" internet it was just to slow to use any website. I get NordVPN with my antivirus software and it does OK with our slow internet. I use it on my us cell phone as well and am not blocked from any US websites and my calls do not show as coming from Mexico which is good for some things. 

Thank you.   We signed up for Express VPN.  Comments here were helpful.  Ran into an initial glitch of the chosen connection location in the US, not working with Amazon Prime Movies, but customer service helped troubleshoot that. 

It appears great for entertainment/TV series/movies, which are not accessible when out of the US.

Only question that remains to be trouble shot is, how to use this with Telmex service.  It appears one must sign up individual devices rather than go through router sign up.

Yes, most DNS/VPN services require activation by device, and cannot be installed in most routers. Several of these services offer routers for sale, with the VPN set up. A tech-savvy person can buy a router and add Tomato or other firmware, but this is beyond the reach of most. And ultimately, they need rebooting and resetting every so often, which means starting the process again. If you purchase one already set up, then the seller will step you through any maintenance.

11 hours ago, JGiff said:

I use Private Internet Access ( PIA )   I have been using it for 4 years and it works great 

Me too .... found PIA a few years ago, after trying many others -  first app to perform with no problems and has an IOS app as well - sticking with it forever or until it stops working so well 

Windscribe in the past, okay. Then ExpressVPN, but too many of their servers were being "discovered". Now using IPVanish, tolerable. I don't think any VPN is perfect, occasionally you will have to change your server, as you will get "proxy detected" notices on your device. I keep my VPN on the Dallas server, to match my Laredo billing address.

Note that whatever VPN you use on each individual device, your internet speed will decrease substantially.  Six months ago here in San Antonio we were having speeds of 2 Mbps down, .09 up, sitting right next to the modem.  When using a VPN the speeds dropped to around 1 Mbps down.

Now (for whatever reason, probably an influential Mexican neighbor) all our Telmex street cables were replaced and our internet speeds range from 45 to 51 Mbps down, and 10 to 15 up. That is a massive jump. I speed test frequently using a variety of testing services, and all are in the same range.

Note that when I have my VPN active, however, my speeds drop to about 15 Mbps down and 3 or 4 Mbps up. Still perfectly good enough to watch Netflix and browse my US banking sites.