Chapala.com Webboard

Propane tank questions

InChapala1

I have a propane gas tank that’s approaching 20 years. It has a date of manufacture on it, but not an expiry date. How do I determine life expectancy of the tank? In the U.S., propane tanks need to be certified every few (10?) years. Is there a certification process here?  Among the many gas delivery companies, anyone you’d recommend to evaluate the tank? I asked two handymen; one said the tank looks “okay”, the other said 20 years is max lifespan and I should replace it. I feel I need a more expert opinion.

A related question: do propane prices in the Lakeside area fluctuate depending on the season? For e.g., higher in the winter, lower in the summer?

If you do a google search, you will find out that 20 years IS the max lifespan of a propane tank. On that premise, I replaced mine when I moved into the house but it took forever to use up the propane before it could be moved. Be safe!

Price of propane goes up every January for sure.

• Like 1

Propane prices appear to be adjusted the first of each month, according to our suppliers (Zeta and Los Altossss.) LP tanks have manufacturer safety standards and owners are required by law to comply with them. There might be a sticker somewhere on your tank to confirm the lifespan. Makes me think I need to look for mine--thanks for the reminder.

Now you guys tell me. An expert on this subject, I am not; but my outdoor 500 liter propane or natural gas tank was used when I bought my  house  in 1997. Sure I have repainted it when I remodeled the house 10 years ago. But that is it.

Do I have any volunteers to take a lit match and go around the tank and see if it is leaking? :) 

So far there is no gas smell coming from the outdoor tank that I refill about once every 10 months or so

Ferret is correct. I looked in to this matter about 2 years ago because my neighbor installed a tank very close to my bedroom window and the tank looked like it was about 100 years old..... (it was manufactured in 1987). From memory, you have to replace your tank every 10 years but probably only 0.001% comply with this. My neighbor did finally remove this tank as I told that if not I was going to report him to the fire department which are the people to talk to get the accurate information.

Tanks of all sizes are available from Amutio (next to Farmacia Guadalajara) and also from the Hardware store directly opposite them on the other side of the highway. I have also seen them in most other hardware stores as well but I was looking for a specific size. The hardware store delivered it and I had JP Home Services do the work but any plumber can do it.

You're going to have to use the propane until nearly empty though. Those tanks are heavy.

On 11/25/2019 at 4:58 PM, johanson said:

Do I have any volunteers to take a lit match and go around the tank and see if it is leaking?

You could hire this guy, but I wouldn't hang around while he does it....

funny-men-safety-fails-why-women-live-lo

• Haha 1