Chapala.com Webboard

How big a solar heater for a jetted tub?

Mainecoons

We have one of those nice jetted tubs in our master bath we do not use because it needs too much hot water.  We could put a solar hot water heater on the roof above it and it would be fairly easy to pipe to it.  How would one figure how big/number of tubes needed for this?  Would also be used to supply other hot water for this bath room when tub not in use.

I suspect that a 60 liter solar boiler would suffice if all you are interested in is the tub. But, the prices, including installation, are quite low even for a 240 liter.

I have 2 240s, 2 120s and a 60, free hot water for the tubs (I have 4) and everything else!

ALL bouight from alfonso@solartechnology.com.mx

I know he's in Guad, but 12 years ago, I had a bad install from someone who subcontracted from him. The damned thing blew up, but Alfonso replaced it at his expense. i have done myriads of business with him ever since and recommend him HIGHLY!

• Like 1

MC, take into account the size of the jetted tub, plus the other regular intended use.    

Or, and better IMHO, plan to provide for the whole house, vs just the bathroom.

Email or PM - YOU know how to reach me!    😉

19 hours ago, Go Solar said:

MC, take into account the size of the jetted tub, plus the other regular intended use.    

Or, and better IMHO, plan to provide for the whole house, vs just the bathroom.

Email or PM - YOU know how to reach me!    😉

The issue with that is the only feasible location is a rooftop area that we regularly use for entertaining and I don't want to fill it up with one of those massive tube units.  

MC, as usual, ask and you shall receive....STI now has a tankless compact solar water heating panel that both heats, AND stores, the water; 150 liters per panel.

While we still reco the tube and tank systems as the default due to the high efficiencies of the vacuum tube and insulated tank technology, this is a great option / alternative for what you mention, and also for all the tiered housing communities who like to keep the rooftops as clear and uncluttered as possible.    (exceptions include the critically important satellite TV dishes.....)   😉

Coupled with an auto on-demand backup, this can be a great solution.   Image here, Spanish and English versions up on the website in the near future.

STI tankless Nov 2019.png

Just the water based one for now; for smallest size, the KED heat pipe dry vacuum tube systems of 100 liters and up are quite compact and a great proven technology; the tank is rated for high pressure and insulated to have good hot water even after sitting overnight.