Chapala.com Webboard

Schnitzel Cordon Bleu

happyjillin

Although I have cooked several types of schnitzel for years I never attempted S C D before. The best I ever had was at the Bistro Praha where real veal was used. My mother[RIP] and I switched to using pork tenderloin instead of veal as it has more flavour yet the same consistency of veal. I see that only chicken breasts are used around here and even though some European Establishments have started doing that too I  consider that a disgrace and not the real thing. Had it once here and never again. Good SCD  is prepared flat not in a roll Rumanian style as well. I got the tenderloin and slightly spiced ham package at Walmart and the Swiss cheese at the Crimeria in Chapala. we usually have a bag of bread crumbs around which we also get at Walmart. It's a lot more work than any regular schnitzel

Chicken,blech!

cordon bleu 1.jpg

cordon bleu 2.jpg

cordon bleu 3.jpg

cordon bleu 4.jpg

I haven't cooked Schnitzel for about six years now. When I did, I bought Milanesa de Cerdo. I have not been impressed with the offerings at Walmart but I believe you have a good butcher in Chapala that could prepare it for you. Light, crispy and flavourful.

Each to his/her own. I find using chicken and/or pork tenderloin too thick. Used to love going to the Swiss Alphorn close to Blue Mountain... weiner schnitzel covered the whole plate with Rosti pototoes on the side.

https://super.walmart.com.mx/cerdo/milanesa-de-cerdo-por-kg/00020107800000?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw-vAmvuG5gIVA6SzCh18ywpLEAYYASABEgIy0fD_BwE

42 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Each to his/her own. I find using chicken and/or pork tenderloin too thick. Used to love going to the Swiss Alphorn close to Blue Mountain... weiner schnitzel covered the whole plate with Rosti pototoes on the side.

https://super.walmart.com.mx/cerdo/milanesa-de-cerdo-por-kg/00020107800000?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw-vAmvuG5gIVA6SzCh18ywpLEAYYASABEgIy0fD_BwE

Pork tenderloin is not too thick when you slice it thin and then work it with  a meat mallet. Milanesa de cerdo is not as tender. The pork tenderloin is as close as you'r going to get to milk fed veal. Even my SCD is only 2 pieces of that held together with tooth picks and the chese and ham in between. The actual meat component is not thick . The smaller plate has my regular schnitzel done from pieces too small for the SCD. Clearly they are not thick. Proper schnitzel is always thinly cut and then pounded to about 1/8 inch thickness.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

However, the whole idea is to hammer it to super thinness. It regains some of its bulk when fried in the crumbs, but stays large enough to cover a whole plate. As noted by happy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ferret said:

Ah! Blue mountain in the 70's and chalets full of us partiers and skiers. Did the Beaver River Rat Race in the spring. i still have the button for the event.

11 hours ago, Ferret said:

I haven't cooked Schnitzel for about six years now. When I did, I bought Milanesa de Cerdo. I have not been impressed with the offerings at Walmart but I believe you have a good butcher in Chapala that could prepare it for you. Light, crispy and flavourful.

Walmart carries the largest and tenderest pork tenderloin when it's in stock. Any that I've bought from butchers in Chapala are much smaller and less tender.

26 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

that's my experience, too, although they also regularly package something that looks like slices of a very large tenderloin, but is not. I don't recall what the sticker says.

What you most likely saw was the loin which is on the back. The tenderloin is under the rib cage and has the same structure and carcass location as filet de res but narrower.

Okay, I'm going to get pork tenderloin and pound it. Do I assume that you're cutting it across the grain? I think I never did it this way because the pieces were too small.

I have a question about the "fluffiness" too of the coating. This recipe calls for flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs (or panko)... and a comment suggests that her "oma" told her to flour and egg TWICE before the breadcrumbs. Comments?

https://www.thespruceeats.com/wiener-schnitzel-recipe-1447089

8 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

What you most likely saw was the loin which is on the back. The tenderloin is under the rib cage and has the same structure and carcass location as filet de res but narrower.

Yes. A tenderloin is notable for it's shape, just like the beef version.

4 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Okay, I'm going to get pork tenderloin and pound it. Do I assume that you're cutting it across the grain? I think I never did it this way because the pieces were too small.

I have a question about the "fluffiness" too of the coating. This recipe calls for flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs (or panko)... and a comment suggests that her "oma" told her to flour and egg TWICE before the breadcrumbs. Comments?

One does this twice, yes, to increase the layers and thus the crunchiness. But I find while this works well for deep-fried chicken, it's not really necessary for pork, veal, or chicken cutlets. Nothing wrong with trying it, though, as I have, which left me with this conclusion.

25 minutes ago, Ferret said:

When laid flat it sort of resembles a fish. The WM  are large so I cut in half. Then cut as thin as possible lengthwise. You have to be good with a knife under your hold down hand and get about 4 pieces at least. You were cutting medallions if cross grain. Then use the meat hammer gently with a stretching motion towards the outside both sides. Crack 2 eggs in a bowl and add  a touch of milk and extra virgin olive oil,hand whisk until fluffy.I use a hand  mixer. Run the floured pieces through this mixture ,let excess drip off. make a pile of bread crumbs on a sheet of wax paper and bread both side fully. In the good old days one would fry this in lard only. I do it in hot virgin olive oil with a dab of duck lard or butter. You have to watch very carefully that you only do both sides to a golden brown. The dogs really like to help by licking the remains in the egg bowl. Unless you're doing it for 4 there will be left over to have for breakfast on bread with butter or mayo.

meat hammer.jpg

hand-mixer--71559_01.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you. I'm laughing at the egg beater... not because it's there but because it reminded me of the time my hubby decided to make a lemon meringue pie... and he beat the egg whites by hand with a fork and complained that it was REALLY hard work to get them to peak. We ate it anyway and laughed for years any time a recipe said "beat" but not "what with".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...