Chapala.com Webboard

Banjercito English

JGiff

Hola

Has anyone had any luck with being able to talk to someone in English at Banjercito ?  I submitted my application for my TIP, I am in Canada right now, and when I got my Internet Application for Temporary Import Permit for Foreign Vehicle receipt it showed some wrong information. On the application it asked for my mother's maiden name, which I put in , but when I got the receipt it had my first and last name and after my last name my mother's maiden name. 

I have tried one phone number I got from the consulate in Vancouver BC which they said is English but that is just recorded messages for applying for a TIP.  I have sent 3 emails with no response as well as tried 3 different phone numbers but no one can speak English. I have also talked with the Mexican consulate in Phoenix AZ and they have no idea who to talk to.

All I can see is big problems at KM 21 after I go through Nogales.

TIA 

Clarification for me/us:  Did you actually get your TIP delivered to you in Canada?  Your concern is that your name is John Doe but the TIP paperwork says John Doe Smith?

BTW, it may have just been the way you decided to phrase it, but there is no longer a "KM21" Facilities at Nogales or any border crossing. Your stop will be just a tad south of the border crossing. You will/should cross in Nogales at the Mariposa crossing, using W. Mariposa Road off of I19 as you are coming into Nogales, and not cross at the downtown crossing.

11 hours ago, RickS said:

Clarification for me/us:  Did you actually get your TIP delivered to you in Canada?  Your concern is that your name is John Doe but the TIP paperwork says John Doe Smith?

BTW, it may have just been the way you decided to phrase it, but there is no longer a "KM21" Facilities at Nogales or any border crossing. Your stop will be just a tad south of the border crossing. You will/should cross in Nogales at the Mariposa crossing, using W. Mariposa Road off of I19 as you are coming into Nogales, and not cross at the downtown crossing.

Hi RickS

I got the confirmation email when I sent the online form to them.  You have to do that and then they will take your money and mail you your temp TIP to exchange at the crossing.  You are right with my concern. I am worried that the temp card will come a John Doe Smith and not John Doe.  It won't match my passport and residente temporal. 

I meant km 21 from the border to immigration and customs. Also from your suggestions on one of my earlier questions I will be doing as you suggested and going through at the Mariposa crossing. 

Thanks again RickS

10 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

You don't put your maternal last name on Mexican forms. You leave that blank because it is not your legal name but for Mexicans it would be their legal name.

I see that now but it asked for my mother's maiden name and didn't say anything about maternal. In Canada your mothers maiden name is almost always used as a security question so obviously that's why I put it in when asked.  

40 minutes ago, JGiff said:

I see that now but it asked for my mother's maiden name and didn't say anything about maternal. In Canada your mothers maiden name is almost always used as a security question so obviously that's why I put it in when asked.  

In Mexico, women do not change their names at the time they marry.  So there is no concept of "maiden" name here.  

I suggest that you figure out how to officially cancel that "TIP", and start over again when that is accomplished.   In Mexico, they are very strict about all official documents having matching names...precisely & exactly matching names.

27 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

SNIP...........   In Mexico, they are very strict about all official documents having matching names...precisely & exactly matching names.

...and to add to that, once upon a time if one paid for their TIP with a credit card.... which many do.... the name on the credit card had to be exactly the same as on the Passport. Not Robert Smith on one and Bob Smith on the other. I haven't heard anyone suggest that that is now different, but....

5 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

I suggest that you figure out how to officially cancel that "TIP", and start over again when that is accomplished.   In Mexico, they are very strict about all official documents having matching names...precisely & exactly matching names.

I've tried phoning and got 2 which only speak Spanish, which I am only beginning to learn , and the English phone number nobody answers. I have sent 3 emails and no answer. I have tried 3 Mexican Consulates and they don't know what to do.   I checked my application status just now and it said it is approved and I will get an email.

I would think , hope , they would of seen the mistake when they are suppose to check my information. My passport copy would not match the application.

2 hours ago, JGiff said:

SNIP.............

I would think , hope , they would of seen the mistake when they are suppose to check my information. My passport copy would not match the application.

Please do NOT carry this hope around very long..... 

2 hours ago, JGiff said:

No The hope left the second I typed it. 🤣

They sent you a valid TIP with your mother's maiden name added to your legal name correct? If it was me I would stick it on my windshield and get a 180 day FMM tourist card and drive down and enjoy my vacation not worrying about it. Who is going to ask you to show any paperwork? When you leave and stop at BANJERCITO give them the original paperwork and then tell them to give me a reciept once they remove the TIP sticker. At that time it might be a problem. It might be you will not get your deposit back. It might be nobody there notices the extra name but at least your vacation was OK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

. .......It might be nobody there notices the extra name but at least your vacation was OK.

Well Alan you are a seasoned Mexico resident and can IMO be comfortable with that course of action, but it is not that easy to do if one is a newbie. Also the loss of $400 US is not to be taken lightly by many... including moi.

• Like 1

I had this same situation come up last April. I did not change anything and crossed at Columbia and no one cared. I just stcuck the TIP on the window after immigration and off I went. When I returned they took my TIP receipt and sticker, got my rebate in about 30 days.

Your mileage may vary but that was my experience.

• Like 3

We have never had errors on our Tip material, but get our TIP through the mail in Canada, put it on when we get to the border, get my husband's turista at imigrado (he imports the car; I have a permanente) and no one has ever looked carefully at the paperwork.  On our way back north, we stop at the Banercito booth, show the paperwork, get the picture of our registration taken, and we get our deposit back within a week.   Not saying it's impossible that someone might check out your paperwork, but like skurvish, we've never had anyone look close or care about discrepencies.  

Being that I can't get a hold of anyone at Banjercito I will have to do as you suggest. 

When I get the TIP in the mail do l exchange that one for something different when I stop to get the tourist visa or is the one I get in the mail the only one ?

I have seen some videos that talk about road stops and they check your TIP. Concerns there ? 

TIA 

The Tip you get in the mail is the one you put on your car.  What you will exchange at immigrado is the 'approval' for a Turista for an actual Turista card.  Keep it and turn it in when you return north.       I've had one 'check' of my Tip....but if my recollection is correct, they just wanted to see that I had the accompanying paperwork that goes with the TIP on my windscreen.  They didn't ask fur any further ID.  Does anyone have a different recollection?

I agree with the concept of just going with it. I applied for a TIP online in the US, received it, then found I couldn't make the trip. I contacted Banjercito to cancel the TIP BEFORE the trip was scheduled to start. But they told me that under Mexican law, I had to PROVE I didn't already bring the car into Mexico. I could do so by showing up at the border to return my TIP, or having a notarized letter from my local police stating that the car was not in Mexico. If I didn't do one of these, they informed me I would NOT be allowed another TIP.  I lived in DC, so there was no way I was driving to the border just to clear the TIP, and getting the local police to cooperate was really something ("You want me to do what? why?"). Anyway, I eventually got a cancellation notice from Banjercito, but they kept the $400. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would post an update. 

After phoning 6 different phone numbers and leaving voicemails, sending 4 emails to 3 different addresses starting on Nov. 11th. I received an email from Banjercito this morning saying they changed the name on my TIP to reflect my name as on my passport. They also said it had been sent by UPS.

This afternoon my TIP arrived with all the correct information on it. I guess the small amount of hope I wished for worked !!!

I went today and bought a lottery ticket. 5185.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1