Chapala.com Webboard

Cabeza de cordera

happyjillin

No joke..In a past life I had a Mexican wife who prepared, if I remember, sheep (or lamb) head in such a way. The head is sliced in half vertically, seasoned liberally with spices and chili pepper and grilled in the oven with the exposed inner parts up. After you get over the thought it is quite appetizing. I especially liked the brain, tongue and cheeks although could not quite see the eyes as desert. In the photo above of a half head you can clearly see the brain at the top right and tongue bottom left. I think I remember that this delicacy could be found at a restaurant on the top floor of the old Chapala mercado (now being renovated) and i too would like to bring back old memories. MMMMM!!!!

15 hours ago, gringohombre said:

No joke..In a past life I had a Mexican wife who prepared, if I remember, sheep (or lamb) head in such a way. The head is sliced in half vertically, seasoned liberally with spices and chili pepper and grilled in the oven with the exposed inner parts up. After you get over the thought it is quite appetizing. I especially liked the brain, tongue and cheeks although could not quite see the eyes as desert. In the photo above of a half head you can clearly see the brain at the top right and tongue bottom left. I think I remember that this delicacy could be found at a restaurant on the top floor of the old Chapala mercado (now being renovated) and i too would like to bring back old memories. MMMMM!!!!

That upstairs place serves birria but I  have never seen them serve this. My favourite is the brain,then tongue and then cheek meat. I ate the eye but there wasn't anything special about it.

On 11/23/2019 at 3:30 PM, happyjillin said:

Or half a goat head. Had this wonderful dish at a restaurant in Guadalajara a few years ago and I  forget where that was. Does anybody know if a restaurant around Chapala region presents this.

CABEZA DE CORDERO AL HORNO 020 (6) - copia - copia.JPG

Goat is cabra (female) cabro (male)    Lamb is cordera (female) cordero (male)

3 hours ago, Carnivore said:

Goat is cabra (female) cabro (male)    Lamb is cordera (female) cordero (male)

Exactly...this is what I thought was what my way in the past Mexican wife was preparing. It was lamb head (baa, baa) or corbeza de cordera as the OP correctly identified in his title but not in the text when he said it was a goat head. Maybe not a lot of difference since I also love birria de chavo (goat stew). Many of my friends and relatives shiver when I talk about this but think about it...Is there any difference between this and beef (cows) or pork (pigs)?  Also how about liver or other organs used in upscale dining preparations?

50 minutes ago, gringal said:

Not only is this thread enough to turn a carnivore into a vegan, it has little relevance to restaurant fare available locally.  What's the point?

The point is,if you care to READ  my OP,  to hopefully find a local restaurant  that serves this. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that likes this traditional  Mexican dish.

14 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

The point is,if you care to READ  my OP,  to hopefully find a local restaurant  that serves this. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that likes this traditional  Mexican dish.

I did read it.  Quote: " Had this wonderful dish at a restaurant in Guadalajara a few years ago ".  I'm sure that if there are enough people eager to have this dish, you'll hear from one of them on where to find it locally.

Meanwhile, I'm much more interested in peoples' input on the food currently obtainable locally. There are other "traditional Mexican dishes" that I wouldn't eat, and just the photo of this particular one turns my NOB accustomed stomach, to be honest.  Others may differ, but that's one woman's input on the subject.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

15 minutes ago, gringal said:

I did read it.  Quote: " Had this wonderful dish at a restaurant in Guadalajara a few years ago ".  I'm sure that if there are enough people eager to have this dish, you'll hear from one of them on where to find it locally.

Meanwhile, I'm much more interested in peoples' input on the food currently obtainable locally. There are other "traditional Mexican dishes" that I wouldn't eat, and just the photo of this particular one turns my NOB accustomed stomach, to be honest.  Others may differ, but that's one woman's input on the subject.

If you're going to quote me do the whole thing or what part of, I would like to find a local restaurant escapes you?  This is the food section on this  forum and for all members to use as they see fit not just for what you as an individual wants. Nobody forced you to look at this thread.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, happyjillin said:

If you're going to quote me do the whole thing or what part of, I would like to find a local restaurant escapes you?  This is the food section on this  forum and for all members to use as they see fit not just for what you as an individual wants. Nobody forced you to look at this thread.

Having a bad day?  Of course nobody is "forced" to look at threads.  Most do so out of curiousity, and ALL are free to voice opinions.  If anyone wants to look at your entire post, there is nothing in the way of that.  I think most readers got the message that you like this dish and would like to find a place locally that serves it.   What's the problem?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, gringal said:

Having a bad day?  Of course nobody is "forced" to look at threads.  Most do so out of curiousity, and ALL are free to voice opinions.  If anyone wants to look at your entire post, there is nothing in the way of that.  I think most readers got the message that you like this dish and would like to find a place locally that serves it.   What's the problem?

You seem to have a problem not I. You haven't pouted about something for a while. Feel better now?

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, gringal said:

Not only is this thread enough to turn a carnivore into a vegan, it has little relevance to restaurant fare available locally.  What's the point?

The point is that he has made his made HIS point over and over very patiently after each of your pointless rants. This is a traditional (in mostly rural areas) Mexican dish, so why are you dissing it? All parts are completely accepted food with the brain and tongue even served in some upscale restaurants NOB and in Europe as delicacy's. Do you eat liver? Is this not an animal organ also? By the way one of my favorite Mexican treats is tongue tacos. Try it sometime...you might like it!    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

The point is that he has made his made HIS point over and over very patiently after each of your pointless rants. This is a traditional (in mostly rural areas) Mexican dish, so why are you dissing it? All parts are completely accepted food with the brain and tongue even served in some upscale restaurants NOB and in Europe as delicacy's. Do you eat liver? Is this not an animal organ also? By the way one of my favorite Mexican treats is tongue tacos. Try it sometime...you might like it!    

Bang on! I really like both tongue and tripe tacos. Tripe was one of my fave at dim sum. Until calf brain was banned, I did them the Provincial French way in red wine and mushroom sauce with the wild mushrooms I picked and the German breaded way. I tried pork brain but it just wasn't the same. My mother did a tongue casserole found in a cook book from the court of Emperor Franz Joseph of the  Austrian and Hungarian Empire.

56 minutes ago, gringal said:

Your sarcasm is pathetic, and this exchange is getting ridiculous.  Adios.

I run a very successful antique group on Facebook and I told the 2700+ members when an attention seeking member announced their leaving, that  you don't have to do that, just leave. Who's pathetic madame?

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, gringal said:

Apparently not all members read the rules for this forum.  This was getting way too personal...but it was definitely time for this to stop.  I never leave exchanges without saying goodbye.  It's the courteous thing to do.

Adios, Au Revoir, Soyonara, Aloha, Goodby, Cheerio...we will all miss you. The tears are flowing!  

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, gringal said:

Apparently not all members read the rules for this forum.  This was getting way too personal...but it was definitely time for this to stop.  I never leave exchanges without saying goodbye.  It's the courteous thing to do.

Yes you should pay attention to the rules madame. And your adios is attention seeking not courteous. Go start threads of more interest to you instead of creating a great kerfuffle signifying  nothing of significance on some other members OP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2