Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

My senior dog is incontinent.  Pees on floors of unglazed tile.

Internet search recommends special enzyme products to eliminate urine smell.  How effective are these?  Are they available locally?  Where?  Does anyone have any other ideas?

I think he is too old to be retrained or disciplined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, bajandy said:

My senior dog is incontinent.  Pees on floors of unglazed tile.

Internet search recommends special enzyme products to eliminate urine smell.  How effective are these?  Are they available locally?  Where?  Does anyone have any other ideas?

I think he is too old to be retrained or disciplined.

No, they don't work. Been there, tried everything including bottle after bottle of the enzymatic products and the urine smell remains, esp. on porous materials.

It's a choice we make as pet owners. Often times there is no solution other than to adapt to the often bad smelling pet odors. Myself, I draw the line at cats, litter boxes, and cats in my home. Others don't seem to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try washing with a vinegar water solution. It won't take all the smell out, but it's better than only soap and water. Nature's Miracle is the brand name  of the enzyme that's suppose to neutralize dog urine. I haven't had luck with it either.

We use Odoban which used to be available at Sam's. I don't know if they still carry it. It's hospital strength disinfectant and order control. Since you have porous tile, you've got a tough problem, but these are the things I'd use.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try sprinkling a good amount of baking powder over the area, which does neutralize odors. Leave it overnight and vacuum it up in the morning and see if that works. Cheap and non-toxic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought but worth a try. I have 3 rescue dogs and all have had various problems. Years ago I found Dr. Pepe in Riberas and he has done many milagros with them including getting Minnie back on her feet after a bad arthritic condition that devolved into her not being able to walk. I give her anti inflammatory pill daily from him and she is doing quite well. Maybe there is some medication for your dogs condition. I hope so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to try Clorox Urine Remover for stains & odors.  Works on all surfaces.  I have an incontinent dog & a marking dog.  Works on the urine problem....not so much on the marking.... It's not cheap but it's a big spray bottle and I used it on tile, cement , bedding and rugs.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes medication can help older, incontinent dogs.  Nature's Miracle works really well on cloth and even grout lines but obviously not on unglazed tile.  The belly bands work well too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure that you have consulted a vet about this but worth a try with Dr. Pepe. His cel (on his Facebook page) is 333 496 7080. Basic English so Spanish is better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solution of one cup white vinegar  half cup baking soda dash If dish  soap mixed in 4 cups water

it works

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vinegar works well, it is a disinfectant as well as a deodorizer. I just mix it with water when I mop the floor. I also use it when I wash dog items as it removes the odors. It works well as a softener also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plain old vinegar is a great for reducing urine smells  if the diluted vinegar does not take away the smell pour some on full strength and let it sit on your tiles for a bit before rinsing off .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, carol r said:

You might want to try Clorox Urine Remover for stains & odors.  Works on all surfaces.  I have an incontinent dog & a marking dog.  Works on the urine problem....not so much on the marking.... It's not cheap but it's a big spray bottle and I used it on tile, cement , bedding and rugs.

 

This product is outstanding in our opinion. There is a large bottle and a spray bottle combo available at Costco which is not much more than buying a single spray bottle here. It also works on blood stains, we found, as long as you don't use something else on the stain first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gimpychimp said:

This product is outstanding in our opinion. There is a large bottle and a spray bottle combo available at Costco which is not much more than buying a single spray bottle here. It also works on blood stains, we found, as long as you don't use something else on the stain first.

 

71+NHCAKnAL._SX466_.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 10:48 PM, Taaffe said:

Solution of one cup white vinegar  half cup baking soda dash If dish  soap mixed in 4 cups water

it works

 

This is the best concoction for odors. Even gets out the spray of skunk! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...