Chapala.com Webboard

2 accidents

daisy2013

I went thru the intersection about 1 hour before that

complaining all the way about the new topes

asking myself how is it possible that 13 new topes wouldn't slow those guys down

when  maybe only 6 or 7 were required to do so?

then at the second batch i told myself this was dumb

why are these needed when the guys are already slowed down?

i guess I had better stop peculating and talking to myself and start  paying more attention to reality and what happened an hour later

The accident at Walmart WAS NOT due to loss of brakes; he did not drive over the barriers - he was driving very, very slowly - he miscalculated his load length vs the 'S' turn to get into walmart parking lot; The trailer jacks got caught on the sidewalk.  Good thing he stopped before he ripped them right off and then it would have been a real mess.
Geez, look at the scene - no damage to the tractor; those fiberglass bodies on tractor units would have disintegrated if he had hit the concrete barriers.
And it was only blocking the one entrance (there are 2 others) into Walmart  that most people don't use anyway unless using that 'lateral' as an excuse not to stop at the lights.

FYI there must have been some other accident/altercation in front of the tech schools on the libramiento as traffic was backed up a long, long way about 1:30pm.

If Transito would do TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT and issue fines (not mordidas) to speeders , it would not only generate revenue , it would deter speeders far better than a few topes, which they just resume speeding after the topes. 

Mandatorry driving school for those repeat offenders too would help. Its the offenders that pay the costs of the school. 

I do not understand why it is so difficult for the local governemnets to understand. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, HDTVStreamers said:

If Transito would do TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT and issue fines (not mordidas) to speeders , it would not only generate revenue , it would deter speeders far better than a few topes, which they just resume speeding after the topes. 

Mandatorry driving school for those repeat offenders too would help. Its the offenders that pay the costs of the school. 

I do not understand why it is so difficult for the local governemnets to understand. 

You do realize we are in Mexico and what you are suggesting is spitting into a strong wind.  Local governments understand, it´s you, that does not understand local governments.  I´ve been hearing this same thing from foreigners for 50 years and you will be hearing it 50 years from now.  It´s called a "culture difference".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

You do realize we are in Mexico and what you are suggesting is spitting into a strong wind.  Local governments understand, it´s you, that does not understand local governments.  I´ve been hearing this same thing from foreigners for 50 years and you will be hearing it 50 years from now.  It´s called a "culture difference".

I am Mexican!

I guess your expectation is that I will sit around and say "That is how it's always been and it will never change"?

If you lived "en el otro lado" then you know that enforcement with reprocussions of a person losing their license or having to go to driving school is a far better deterrent than "topes" that ruin cars and cause more exhaust. What I figure is that more people will use the oncoming lane to avoid the topes causing an increase in head-on collissions. Last I saw the topes were on the downhill side only and not on the uphill side. Talk about STUPID!  That combined with the fact that most Mexican drivers have no clue what the double solid yellow line means (or most road markings for that matter) , it is a recipe for disaster.

14 minutes ago, HDTVStreamers said:

. Talk about STUPID!  That combined with the fact that most Mexican drivers have no clue what the double solid yellow line means (or most road markings for that matter) , it is a recipe for disaster.

¡ Ándale pues, amigo !  Admiro su opinión de su país y sus paisanos.  ¡ Nos vemos, nunca !

There was a third accident between Ajijic and San juan Cosala around 7 p.m. Nov. 22--A Water truck crashed into something and was standing diagonally across the road. We were held up for a long time going west out of Ajijic and the ambulance arrived as we were sitting and waiting for a long string of eastbound traffic to pass by on our side of the road. I couldn't tell if there was a car involved as well. We, too, had just come from Guad. on the libramiento. My first time experiencing the topes which seemed excessive but perhaps that is what is needed. They do afford more of a chance for people to exit the mall, at least. I wonder if a second light  near  Tio Sam's might help create a break in traffic before the mall, as most of the traffic from the mall wants to turn toward Ajijic rather than Chapala.

15 hours ago, NLU said:

I went thru the intersection about 1 hour before that

complaining all the way about the new topes

asking myself how is it possible that 13 new topes wouldn't slow those guys down

when  maybe only 6 or 7 were required to do so?

then at the second batch i told myself this was dumb

why are these needed when the guys are already slowed down?

i guess I had better stop peculating and talking to myself and start  paying more attention to reality and what happened an hour later

The Topes are not effective if a vehicle hits them at any speed. A vehicle being surprised and hitting the first tope finds it is more airborne than in contact with the pavement.  The obvious maneuver at that point is to hit the brakes which are not as effective as the tires are not in full contact with the pavement.

11 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Because enforcement is exactly the way the govt. wants it to be.  I believe the revenue goes to the state rather than the muni which could be why they don't concentrate on enforcement.

Perhaps now that Chapala has it's own transito department the municipal government gets the fines?