Chapala.com Webboard

Cohetes

Me too, I live in Ajijic el centro and LOVE the Fiesta Patrias de San Andreas.

Can't wait to enjoy a few nibbles of the delicious Pan de Nata!

Cheers!

Val  :)

Depending on which way your home faces, noise travels. I live in lower Riberas and can sometimes here the cohetes from Chapala and/or Jocotepec. YMMV. It's just a noisy time of the year. Get used to it and take precautions if it's really annoying. Viva Mexico!

Well guys, don't bother coming down to the Chapala malecón to join in in the fiesta de Santa Cecilia because apparently they aren't having one on the malecón.  This will be the first time in 8 years that I've been down here that they didn't celebrate it on the malecón.  A lone mariachi guy explained to me tonight that they decided to let each individual barrio celebrate it in their own way.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, addtocart said:

Fireworks are those colorful things in the sky.  This is just noise.

The original intent of that noise was to wake up "the faithful" and get them to church or wherever the festivities were taking place. It was meant as a town wide alarm clock, Muslim call to prayer all for the cheap price of a cohete. No colorful things in the sky, those things are expensive. It was basically to get you off your a** and on your way to services. Just because we're not used to that doesn't make it wrong or bad. Remember, they were doing this long before we showed up.

• Like 1

On November 22, 2019 at 1:32 PM, Ferret said:

Depending on which way your home faces, noise travels. I live in lower Riberas and can sometimes here the cohetes from Chapala and/or Jocotepec. YMMV. It's just a noisy time of the year. Get used to it and take precautions if it's really annoying. Viva Mexico!

Not many cohetes in Ajijic .  Are they just warming up or is it going to be a quiet year?

17 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

The original intent of that noise was to wake up "the faithful" and get them to church or wherever the festivities were taking place. It was meant as a town wide alarm clock, Muslim call to prayer all for the cheap price of a cohete. No colorful things in the sky, those things are expensive. It was basically to get you off your a** and on your way to services. Just because we're not used to that doesn't make it wrong or bad. Remember, they were doing this long before we showed up.

I'm not talking about any original intent from 500 years ago.  Do people really get up at 3 in the morning to go to church just because there's explosions all night?

1 hour ago, addtocart said:

I'm not talking about any original intent from 500 years ago.  Do people really get up at 3 in the morning to go to church just because there's explosions all night?

Short answer...yes they do. If you live in a Mexican neighborhood you will surely see them, not at 3:00, but closer to 5 or 6 gathering in small groups and walking to the church. You don't have to join them but you have to be "clueless" not to be aware of this. It may be slowly dying but it's not anything from 500 years ago. As my teachers used to say, "Pay attention!"

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Guy Sylvestre said:

They should give the money to the poor instead of spending it on noise making, these cohetes are expensive and from what I have being hearing since this morning, they could have feed a lot of hungry Mexicains and neutured a lot of dogs!! 

Lived here 11 years. Yours is an oft repeated refrain, especially from new comers and the chronically cranky. Remember the Peanuts cartoons where whenever an off-screen adult was speaking all you heard was “Whaaa whaaa whaaaaa whaa wha”? Yeah. That there.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Xena said:

Lived here 11 years. Yours is an oft repeated refrain, especially from new comers and the chronically cranky. Remember the Peanuts cartoons where whenever an off-screen adult was speaking all you heard was “Whaaa whaaa whaaaaa whaa wha”? Yeah. That there.

Thank you Xena, refreshing to hear your point of view!!

• Haha 1

It is a Catholic thing  so move to an Evangelist area, they bitch like hell about the money gong up in smoke as well. They hate all celebration of santos..The cohetes from the church start before 6 as the first mass is at 6 and yes there are people going . there..

In Can Cristobal de las Casas we have muslims.. 5 different prayer centers and one of them is a mosl with a minaret but I have never heard the call to prayer from there.. maybe they should start and piss off everyone and we could ban all of this call to prayers.. it would be nice....