Chapala.com Webboard

2 topics of interest to some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVNG8GKVnP8 Both revivals from the 60's?

I've been here for several years and noted a bunch of people constantly using and talking about whacky weed like some of us did in the 50's when we got booze for the first time under age. The second thing this song addresses is the folks into root music and the playing and singing thereof. I was told by an exec at CKUA Radio Edmonton that I have the most extensive roots and early rock records[all 3 speeds] known to him in a private collection in Alberta. My records and tapes are here with me. First tune I learned on my guit was wild wood flower by the Carter family from my record in 1961. Learned to blow the harp same time from my Jimmy Reed Carnegie Hall album. I had the pleasure of sitting with and listening to these guys in 1962 in the Canadian Guild of Folk Artist's meeting room.

• Like 1

Saw Mr. Diddley in Vegas, in the early 80s, when he was dressing like Isaac Hayes, replete with Hendrix hat and a million pounds of gold chains. As far as roots music goes, I only go back as far as the college groups from the late 50s, early 60s.

One of my fondest memories is of a visit to Cade's Cove in the Smokey Mountains of TN, just west of NC, for the annual folk music festival. If I recall, it is the third weekend every September. It is remote in more than just geography.  Loved it!

7 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

I like my old time folk on the Irish side.

Tommy Makem

Liam Clancy

Luke Kelly

Now you are one sophisticated musical gent.  LOL  Luke now has the statue in Dublin that he richly deserves.  Tommy from the North and the Clancy Bros. from Caher. Tipperary put the Aran sweaters on the map.  They should make a movie about Liam´s personal life.   

The Dubliners are still far and away my favorite Irish trad group, of course which, Luke, was a part of until his untimely death. 

Edited by slainte39

10 hours ago, happyjillin said:

I  guess the roots music people have all disappeared from this board. Only 1 response. Something from the great philosopher Bo Diddley.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bnM29vzEk

Bo Diddley´s wife and daughter Tammy had a home here in Ajijic and spent a lot of time here back in the 90´s.  Knew them well.

I have been fortunate to have heard some folk Irish groups including those mentioned above but I  also played darts in a pub[yes in Canada] where some of the Irish and welsh would burst into song.  Here's a bunch of amateurs doing a traditional song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rojvawrMqRY

Canada has long been a haven for Irish groups. In the 60s and 70s, this was best exemplified by the CBC series Pig N Whistle, that showcased homegrown talent as well as bigger names like Makem/Clancy. And of course Celtic music, as well known for the instrumentation and dancing as the tunes themselves. That's where a lot of the energy is, and what I really like the most.

The smoothest Irish group to emerge in the 80s is from Newfoundland, the Irish Descendants, for those who might be interested.

43 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Canada has long been a haven for Irish groups. In the 60s and 70s, this was best exemplified by the CBC series Pig N Whistle, that showcased homegrown talent as well as bigger names like Makem/Clancy. And of course Celtic music, as well known for the instrumentation and dancing as the tunes themselves. That's where a lot of the energy is, and what I really like the most.

This is a pub in Ireland but in the 70's there were a couple of pubs like this in Toronto. Energy and music amateur jams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XXR65lgoMU

Back sometime in the 90's my wife and I were in NO and happened upon an Irish Bar/Pub/Club called Danny O'Flaherty's Irish Channel Pub. Before Danny came out to sing the audience was instructed to NEVER ask that "Danny Boy" be sung. He explained that it is not Irish, but rather written by a Brit to entice the Irish lads to come join and fight with them. Ireland was neutral as almost always. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can affirm or refute that allegation. Danny put on a hell of a show of classic Irish folk tunes as well as a few he wrote himself. I wondered if the Pub and Danny are still in the Big Easy and I found this:

"From the steps of the United States Capital performing with folksinger Pete Seeger, to a concert at the National Cathedral for Pope John Paul II’s visit to the United States, and a featured performance for former President Ronald Reagan’s Inaugural Ball, Danny has shared the folksongs and heartfelt music of his Gaelic roots. In 1984, Danny, his brother Patrick and friend, Noel Nash, set out for New Orleans to play for the World’s Fair. Captivated by the charm and Irish history in Louisiana, they decided to make it their home. O’Flaherty’s Irish Channel Pub opened and for over 15 years it was a cultural icon in the French Quarter. The hub of all things Celtic in Louisiana. The devastation that Hurricane Katrina had on New Orleans made it impossible to keep O’Flaherty’s open. This led Danny to a new chapter in his life and has given audiences around the country the unique opportunity to experience his rich soulful voice as he performs his timeless ballads."

I can´t believe you Canadians didn´t mention "The Irish Rovers", a Canadian folk group that probably achieved more fame in their day than any other Irish-Canadian group.  They had one huge hit recording titled "The Unicorn" that made them popular and a household name even in Ireland.

Yes, "Danny Boy" was written by a Brit but it was confiscated by the Irish with no remorse for it´s origin.  It used to be the most popular song sung in Ireland at sporting events and other big occasions.  A few years ago it got replaced by "The Fields of Athenry", which are physically located between Athenry and Galway City, just a few km. from where my grandfather was born. Paddy Riley has the most popular recording of Fields, made when he was part of the Dubliners.

If you ever saw the great Irish movie with Irish actor Daniel Day Lewis, called "The Boxer" you will see how he used Danny Boy to unite a crowd at a boxing event of Catholics and Protestants during the height of "The Troubles".

21 hours ago, slainte39 said:

I can´t believe you Canadians didn´t mention "The Irish Rovers", a Canadian folk group that probably achieved more fame in their day than any other Irish-Canadian group.  They had one huge hit recording titled "The Unicorn" that made them popular and a household name even in Ireland.

Yes, "Danny Boy" was written by a Brit but it was confiscated by the Irish with no remorse for it´s origin.  It used to be the most popular song sung in Ireland at sporting events and other big occasions.  A few years ago it got replaced by "The Fields of Athenry", which are physically located between Athenry and Galway City, just a few km. from where my grandfather was born. Paddy Riley has the most popular recording of Fields, made when he was part of the Dubliners.

If you ever saw the great Irish movie with Irish actor Daniel Day Lewis, called "The Boxer" you will see how he used Danny Boy to unite a crowd at a boxing event of Catholics and Protestants during the height of "The Troubles".

The Fields of Athenry is one of the classics and Paddy's rendition is tough to beat. I love most all of the classics and even though I can't carry a tune in a bucket I still sing along. One that quiets me down and chokes me up is "Four Green Fields". Most of the greats do a bang up job with it but Tommy Makem's real old version is my favorite. I've never found a version of Fields by Luke, perhaps he deferred on that one to someone else.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Paddy Reilly and the Dubliners   The Fields of Athenry

Shame the audience wasn't having a good time, LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NlrsmEvv1Q

Boy, did that bring a tear to my eye. I´´ve drank many a pint at O´donoghues on the northeast corner of St. Stephen´s Green in Dublin where The Dubliners were first formed.

The last I heard, Paddy Reilly had retired to South Florida and owned or had interest in a  pub there.  you should hear him sing Athenry in Japanese. LOL They, The Dubliners and Paddy. were a huge success in Tokyo, sold out every performance on their tour of Japan. 

A little tip of the hat to the lady in Chula Vista, who i know that "Fields" is her favorite Irish song. :020:  I hope she reads your post Pappy.

• Like 1

Here's another for you Slainte and anyone else who might be interested.

Video quality poor but it's from way back

Tommy Makem with Liam Clancy   Four Green Fields

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d30rpdvtiA