Chapala.com Webboard

Joe

Joe123

Be very careful.  I brought my eyeglasses into Dr. Rios office to have new lenses made.  My frames were like new, Silouette Rimless Titanium cost approx. $350 USD.  The office told me it would be one week to have new lenses made. It took 2 weeks AND someone stole my expensive frames. The glasses were returned with a very cheap, very heavy, not sized correctly frame.  I cannot wear them.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gringal said:

The optometry shop on the same strip as the phone company is honest and fair priced.  I have used them many times to get lenses/frames.  The proprietor also gives good eye exams.  Not sure if she is an optician or optometrist.

Opticians do not have the qualifications to do eye exams. They are a technicians who take directions from Optometrists and Ophthalmologists.

2 hours ago, Joe123 said:

Be very careful.  I brought my eyeglasses into Dr. Rios office to have new lenses made.  My frames were like new, Silouette Rimless Titanium cost approx. $350 USD.  The office told me it would be one week to have new lenses made. It took 2 weeks AND someone stole my expensive frames. The glasses were returned with a very cheap, very heavy, not sized correctly frame.  I cannot wear them.  

I have found that some labs cannot or will not fabricate lenses for frames they do not stock / service. Maybe it’s a lack of correct lens blanks or templates? I was told I could not get lenses changed on a pair of prescription sunglasses I had made NOB. 

2 hours ago, Joe123 said:

Had they given you a receipt for the glasses you left with them?  If they did, they need to cough up the money.

34 minutes ago, zerbit said:

I have found that some labs cannot or will not fabricate lenses for frames they do not stock / service. Maybe it’s a lack of correct lens blanks or templates? I was told I could not get lenses changed on a pair of prescription sunglasses I had made NOB. 

I had Dr. Claudia Camacho's lab do progressive lenses for my 15 year old extra large aviation style frames that I brought from Canada. The original lenses were trifocal glass.

4 hours ago, Joe123 said:

Thanks for this warning Joe and sorry for the loss of your good frames. That place had several negative comments on this board in the past. I do not like to bash a local business but if you'll not going to be compensated for them then your warning is justified.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gringal said:

The optometry shop on the same strip as the phone company is honest and fair priced.  I have used them many times to get lenses/frames.  The proprietor also gives good eye exams.  Not sure if she is an optician or optometrist.

Yes, they are honest and fair.

6 hours ago, Joe123 said:

Did you challenge them on this issue, and if so, what was their response?

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2019 at 5:55 AM, Joe123 said:

I had a pair of expensive (but not as expensive as yours) frames I had brought into that office switched also.

7 minutes ago, cedros said:

I told them that they were the wrong frames. They weren't helpful.

Does that mean you accepted the wrong frames and paid for them? I am trying to imagine what I would do in such a situation. Now that I have heard this could happen I think I would do what Happy suggested a few posts up. Prior to learning this I am not sure what I would have done.