Chapala.com Webboard

Credit Card theft

johanson

I have a Bank of America Credit Card that I apparently lost. How did I discover this? I checked my credit card balance and discovered that already today there had been 5 ATM withdrawals today for a total of about $800 US dollars made from ATMs lakeside. There were no fraudulent charges   made before today. So I apparently lost the card yesterday. I have no idea how it could have fallen out of my wallet or how I could have lost my card. But I did.

What I do not understand is how could have the thieves have gotten my pin #. I don't even know what it is as I do not use ATMs with this card and would have no reason to even know it  

I phoned the bank and reported these fraudulent withdrawals and my credit card has been cancelled and because I discovered this immediately, I will not be held responsible for these fraudulent ATM withdrawals. I got the idea if you did not discover and report the fraudulent use of your card after so many days (maybe 3) that older Fraudulent ATM withdrawals would not have been covered by the bank.

So be careful folks. Don't let this happen to you.

It has happened to my husband, they took his wallet while distracting him, took out his credit card( not the cash) then put the wallet back.  They used his credit card within the hour.  Luckily a friend with him found the distraction strange and told him to check his wallet, thus he noticed his credit card gone.  He seldom uses the credit card so it could have been weeks or longer before he noticed it missing.

warning, don't let strangers distract you.  These two guys were well dressed in suits in an upscale area.

What is so confusing, Mainecoons, is that I did not get, and still do not have the pin # to this card, and if I did ever get it, it was maybe 35 years ago and would have been somewhere in my old bank records filed in Seattle about 35 years ago.

So how did these crooks get the pin number to B of A credit card they had stolen.

• Like 1

In answer to Yo1. I hadn't used it quite a few days, and did not use it on the day that it somehow left my wallet and became the possession of the thief and/or thieves  That day I only took cash out of my wallet at two restaurants and I can only imagine that I dropped said card on the floor of one of those restaurants when I paid my bill.  And that is just a wild guess.  Otherwise the crook would most likely have taken both credit cards and the cash I was carrying.

And Daisy, you are correct I never needed and never received a pin for my credit cards, I wasn't thinking when I mentioned pin #

• Like 1

Both my Canadian credit card AND my Canadian debit card have pin numbers. That didn't used to be the case. I am grateful for the change because in the late '90's my credit card was cloned (physically) in a restaurant in PV and used all over Mexico. I was able to give Visa the information of the where it happened because it was the only time I had used my card in over a year and it was to take our hosts to a New Year's Eve celebration.  I was told then to never let my card out of my sight... which is really hard to do given the modus operandi used on Pete. Thieves just keep evolving unfortunately.

You don't need a pin or Id to use a credit card.  Id is never checked.  They bought $500. US of electronic at Walmart in less than 1/2 hour of lifting the card.

never let a restaurant take your card out of your sight to make a charge.  If they don't do the  charge at your table then pay cash.  Cash is always the safes!

that is how we now function in Mexico, cash only.  Getting air miles is not worth the risk and hassle.  Besides, we have no desire to,leave this beautiful place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2