Chapala.com Webboard

Where to stay on the way to Pharr

Zeb

Need some recommendations on a place to stay overnight. 

1,  My spouse will be driving from Chapala to Reynosa and he will need a safe place to spend the night along the way.  What are good places to stop and stay?  

2.  On the way back to Chapala., we will have a car full of things, so we will also need a good place to stay after crossing Pharr heading back to Chapala.  Need a place where the car will have some secured parking overnight.

9 hours ago, Yo1 said:

I like the Hampton Inn in Cuidad Victoria for the trip up.  Coming back I like the Hampton Inn by Tangamanga Park in SLP as it has guarded parking, but difficult to get to.  You can go north out of SLP and catch the new western bypass pretty easily.

To be sure I  understand, when you say the trip up, do you mean from Mexico border to Texas, then Tangamanda Park in SLP for the way back into Mexico?

I just looked up the drive time, etc. from Chapala to Cuidad Victoria and it's eight hours with no stops.  I think it would be good to have an overnight stay closer to the halfway point, which is at about 5-6 hours from Chapala.  Anyone have other recommendations?

Unfortunately I think you may be asking for something that doesn't exist.... or at least will put you in the 'boonies'.

It is 4.5 hours to San Luis Potosi where you could stay, and the next locations of any size... or where anyone of us has ever stayed.... is Victoria. If you stay in SLP, it's 8 hours to Reynosa.

When we made that trip, years ago, we stayed in Ciudad Victoria most often, but sometimes we stayed in San Luis Potosi in order to catch a Sunday concert on the plaza.  The trip is a bit shorter now, due to improved roads.

No recommendation but Tula Tamaulipas is about the only town of any size that should be 5-6 hours from Pharr. There is a little hotel listed in Trip Advisor that looks like a possibility although it appears pretty basic.

Ciudad Victoria has many more secure overnight choices. I've stayed at Gran Hotel Las Fuentes which is on Hwy 85 accessible from the south side of town just after Hwy 9 connects with Hwy 126. The rooms are nice, the breakfast was outstanding and the parking is secure.

We used to stay at the Ramada in Ciudad Victoria but all the road improvements have made it quite possible to reach the bridge at Pharr in under 10.5 hours so now we drive straight through.  The only bad part of the drive is the ring road around Lagos de Moreno and that benefited from a lot of repaving recently, plus a new bypass is being constructed.

There really is no place to stay between San Luis Potosi and Ciudad Victoria.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

We used to stay at the Ramada in Ciudad Victoria but all the road improvements have made it quite possible to reach the bridge at Pharr in under 10.5 hours so now we drive straight through.  The only bad part of the drive is the ring road around Lagos de Moreno and that benefited from a lot of repaving recently, plus a new bypass is being constructed.

There really is no place to stay between San Luis Potosi and Ciudad Victoria.

We always drive thru Lagos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

So MC, is the bad RR crossing fixed on the ring road around Lagos?

It is much better.  Apparently they will construct a bypass around the entire town according to news reports.  Traffic moved much better on the old ring road on our last trip.  I would attribute this to the repairs.

15 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

We always drive thru Lagos.

Ditto for me. It's about the easiest 'thru-town' passage that I know of.  When the ring road went bad years ago I tried right through town. Easy Peasy and quicker even if the ring road surface was OK.  YMMV

10 hours ago, tomgates said:

I have gone thru town and

even at 8am it is pretty easy. If you go this way, will you run into the new western bypass to SLP?

Short answer is 'yes'...

Longer:  Up when approaching Villa Arriaga one used to 'turn right' and take a 2-lane cuota over to the south side of SLP hitting highway 57 and then the east bypass 57D of said. Now, just keep going straight there (Villa....) and that takes one to the 'new' western bypass of SLP connecting on the north side of SLP with 57 to Matehaula/Saltillo.

• Like 1